2021 Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas G@l

Reaction score
After a surprise storm blew through this morning and dumped more rain, our first cutting of the year will be postponed......again. I'm feeling lucky and thankful it wasn't already laid down. We've gone from worrying about a bad hay year due to drought to worrying about a bad hay year due to too much rain . Texas weather at it's finest. On the bright side, the grass is deep ,the tanks are full and the cows are fat.

I think we got the same storm. Came in fromt kansas late last night. It's been terrible hot, but we had a bunch laid down (hay) that got wet overnight.
Whaddya do?
Needed the rain anyway. I was thinking rain was all gone.

No where there to rent a bale wrapper?
Not even sure their is a wrapper to be bought much less rented in these parts. Guess it's been a week since the last rain. Probably be needing to water the yard nest week.

I'm thinking net wrap is bad enough to deal with, can't imagine dealing with plastic wrap. 🙆

Laid down some yesterday, going to cut a little more today. This time in June it should be the second cutting, not the first. Lots of dry winter grasses down under the warm season grass. Fire ant mounds causing a little trouble and slowing things down.

Last edited:
Not even sure their is a wrapper to be bought much less rented in these parts. Guess it's been a week since the last rain. Probably be needing to water the yard nest week.

I'm thinking net wrap is bad enough to deal with, can't imagine dealing with plastic wrap. 🙆

Laid down some yesterday, going to cut a little more today. This time in June it should be the second cutting, not the first. Lots of dry winter grasses down under the warm season grass. Fire ant mounds causing a little trouble and slowing things down.
I bought a bale wrapper for 4x4 bales 7 years ago. Got the grapple, frame to turn the bales on edge, and a pallett of wrap in the shed. Never used it. It was one of those wet years. By the time the freight company got it here we were in the drought times. Located in Central OK if anyone can use it. I think the wrapper and wrap and feight was right at $10K. I'm getting too old to try new stuff. Now I just bale it green...

I laid down over 20 acres today and a storm came through this evening.
hoping for 4 or 5 dry days and lots of tedder time.

We got our first cutting up here and on the lease. Not without trepidation though, humidity sky high, blew a hyd hose on the second bale, typical hayfield stuff. Moving on to the next field.

I
30 acres went down yesterday morning and we had perfect curing weather, and last night a pop-up thunder storm drenched it. Hay is going to be very scarce around here due to a dry and unusually cold April.
We must have gotten the same pop up storm. Probably not worse than the fog yesterday morning.

Well poop! Mine jus t got wet. Quarter inch out of the NE. Nope, not in the forecast…but when it's 96 with a 106 heat index and little to no wind…I guess that's the recipe for something. Noticed 3 trees with broken limbs. 🤷
Well first cutting up.

Attachments

• CD17B558-0667-49F0-8617-4E730B78178B.jpeg
    CD17B558-0667-49F0-8617-4E730B78178B.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 5
  • AD2CCC23-B115-4DFB-9279-CD8F96EA3BF9.jpeg
    AD2CCC23-B115-4DFB-9279-CD8F96EA3BF9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Finished running the tedder through about 40 acres today.
Hopefully tomorrow some of it will be ready to put a string around.

My one field the guy got up a third of it 3 weeks ago and hasnt done the rest. My other field another guy got it all down yesterday and tedded today and weather is looking good. That guy will likely end up cutting all my fields if things go like they look like there going.

Had over 20 acres on the ground and had a "pop up" come through and got over .6 inch last night. Son is cutting this afternoon and I was going to get on the tedder tomorrow. Just got news that my mom passed away; she has had alzheimers bad for a couple years so is a blessing in a way... but going to make things difficult now. They are in NH so a 12 hr drive and don't know how my dad is going to do.....

laid down our first cutting yesterday......what there was. Low spot in the meadow had been under water so long, it's dead and still boggy.

Latest posts