2021 calving!

Help Support CattleToday:

Momma can count to two alright and has enough milk for them?
We'll see. She's in the barn with them in a nice big stall. They aren't really up and about just yet. She's licked them both but seems to prefer one a little. I'll give colostrum to them later as we have some fresh and like to be cautious with twins. Milk shouldn't be a problem for her but being the first set of twins good chance we'll need one before she has to raise them both.

We'll see. She's in the barn with them in a nice big stall. They aren't really up and about just yet. She's licked them both but seems to prefer one a little. I'll give colostrum to them later as we have some fresh and like to be cautious with twins. Milk shouldn't be a problem for her but being the first set of twins good chance we'll need one before she has to raise them both.
take some pics when they're up and about :)

First baby of 2021. She surprised us. Earliest baby should have been March 6 per gestation chart, but as I have scrolled the boards and read more, I see it is normal to expect them a bit before (hey, this is the first year anyone has even attempted to have a target date around here!). Funny bit on this cow - she jumped the fence when we tried to get her in for pregnancy test. It had been a long day. The vet just turned around and said, "Pregnant - gonna be a heifer, I could tell the way she landed!" We all had a chuckle. I had forgotten to even consider her in the early batch (bull fiasco, only got 7 out of 20 pregnant after 6 months!). I was delighted to see a baby yesterday when I went over, but completely shocked to find it was my girl Cocoa (one of the twins I raised, and our fence jumper). She has given us 5 handsome bulls. Guess what this one is???? A little heifer. Damn, better give that vet a raise!!!

Attachments

• 20210227_145421.jpg
    20210227_145421.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210227_144719.jpg
    20210227_144719.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 6
Well, out of 5 calves, 5 bulls now, Chroma had a nice one this morning
my mother went out at 8:20 and saw nothing, I heard "that moo" at 8:40 and she was licking him off

"Look at what I just did!"
20210228_092412.jpg

Despite the look she has above, she's a totally docile momma

20210228_094609.jpg

Isn't "that moo" the most wonderful sound??? I just came back from checking on mine and she was "talking" to baby, and baby was answering <3 I just stood out there listening to the sounds of the herd.
that cow's sister moos to her calf a month before calving and for a while after, just soft Mmmm's while she's laying down (that was the first one that calved this year)

Latest posts