2021 calving!

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a really similar camera (Foscam) also from Amazon. This will be my 4th year with it, definitely saves lots of trips out. I ordered another one today to cover off another angle and give me better coverage in the dark. Only thing better than a camera is more cameras!

First nightshift at the bosses is tonight, just watching one starting to calve on his "fancy" cow cams. The infra-red is better and they move a little quicker but they all do much the same thing. If your pens aren't giant the Amazon ones are a great investment.
Yup, seeing anything out there is better than having to get dressed and poke around with a flashlight.. I bought these specifically because they had the visible light floodlight, which can be handy if you're trying to do something and can't carry a flashlight while doing it, but I'm not finding I use it much... Maybe next year I'll get one with 20X zoom and ~300ft night vision, but this has already been a great help.
I looked at getting some high quality ones, but the prices were unjustifiable for an operation my size.. was going to be like $4000.
I just got a new wifi access point that really improves the reception, even my cell phone gets 3 bars of wifi at about 100 yards, the cameras are about that far away and with their better antennas they get 100% service

Yup, seeing anything out there is better than having to get dressed and poke around with a flashlight.. I bought these specifically because they had the visible light floodlight, which can be handy if you're trying to do something and can't carry a flashlight while doing it, but I'm not finding I use it much... Maybe next year I'll get one with 20X zoom and ~300ft night vision, but this has already been a great help.
I looked at getting some high quality ones, but the prices were unjustifiable for an operation my size.. was going to be like $4000.
I just got a new wifi access point that really improves the reception, even my cell phone gets 3 bars of wifi at about 100 yards, the cameras are about that far away and with their better antennas they get 100% service
Nice. Sounds like it's going to work well. We boost our wifi and it's a bit of a stretch but the camera functions most of the time. Tbh usually if the camera quits it's because a cat or cow unplugged the cord inside the barn.

The price is absolutely crazy for the professional ones, I wouldn't even buy my bosses old used ones cause I can get the Amazon ones cheaper. The joystick control and having it on the TV is nice but not necessary for me.

Idk what you have for light but I find my camera sees way better even on infrared if my floodlights are on in the pen. I'm actually adding another set of led ones to go along with the second camera.

Dang cow won't get down to it and had twins last year, I'm betting I'll be reaching in before long. First night is supposed to go smooth, lol.

Nice. Sounds like it's going to work well. We boost our wifi and it's a bit of a stretch but the camera functions most of the time. Tbh usually if the camera quits it's because a cat or cow unplugged the cord inside the barn.

The price is absolutely crazy for the professional ones, I wouldn't even buy my bosses old used ones cause I can get the Amazon ones cheaper. The joystick control and having it on the TV is nice but not necessary for me.

Idk what you have for light but I find my camera sees way better even on infrared if my floodlights are on in the pen. I'm actually adding another set of led ones to go along with the second camera.

Dang cow won't get down to it and had twins last year, I'm betting I'll be reaching in before long. First night is supposed to go smooth, lol.
yes, unplugged (or chewed?) cables is definitely going to cause problems... the Wavlink unit I posted can be used as a repeater as well to extend the range, I'm pretty sure that with clear line of sight the cameras could communicate up to a mile with this, the cameras are already picking up the wifi from the neighbors across the river
I'm the lower left circle and the other two circles are the sources for the other wifi signals I'm picking up (about 30-40% strength)
View attachment 2528

Attachments

• 1613971631809.png
    1613971631809.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
The camera is nice. You take good care of your cattle. This thread is like a glimpse into another world. I have only 1 or 2 cows that might let me touch their udder to help the calf. I am jealous the way your newborns bounce around. I would like mine to be more active. My newborns usually don't start nursing in the first 15 minutes.

I know dairy producers use calf jackets / blankets. I have heard beef cows don't like jackets and find ways to remove them from newborns. However, jackets seem to work good for you. Anybody else using calf jackets? What are your experiences?

I have one pretty similar half way between the house and camera. Ended up buying one the same make as my router because the last one would randomly stop working at times.

Had myself a late night rodeo. Cow squirted the calf out in a hurry when she got to business. I went to bring them in and she left that calf in a heartbeat. I got the calf, had to sort her out. Didn't go too bad. When it came time to go in the barn she ran off ahead and into the stall, by the time me and the calf got there she was on her way back. She ran in and out a few times and had me climbing a few different fences. Finally got her in the stall with the calf and if I went to close the gate she came charging out. Did that a few times then I called the boss. He came and she chased him around for a while. Now the cow is outside and the calf is in. Not a great start to nights grrrr.

The camera is nice. You take good care of your cattle. This thread is like a glimpse into another world. I have only 1 or 2 cows that might let me touch their udder to help the calf. I am jealous the way your newborns bounce around. I would like mine to be more active. My newborns usually don't start nursing in the first 15 minutes.

I know dairy producers use calf jackets / blankets. I have heard beef cows don't like jackets and find ways to remove them from newborns. However, jackets seem to work good for you. Anybody else using calf jackets? What are your experiences?
I only use them in bad weather.. cold, rain, wind, it really helps the little guys out and maintain energy.. the last one born it was right around freezing, but windstill and a bit of sun, he was fine without it.
For tame cattle, it just takes spending time with them,and treats! If your mommas are at least not agressive, spending as much time as you can when they're just born really helps, even if momma is warning them with moos, but they're enjoying the attention, it really sets them up to be tamer

Around here, my calves go from tame, to being total suckers when the saskatoon berries ripen, those are like cow crack.. they'll do anything for them

I have one pretty similar half way between the house and camera. Ended up buying one the same make as my router because the last one would randomly stop working at times.

Had myself a late night rodeo. Cow squirted the calf out in a hurry when she got to business. I went to bring them in and she left that calf in a heartbeat. I got the calf, had to sort her out. Didn't go too bad. When it came time to go in the barn she ran off ahead and into the stall, by the time me and the calf got there she was on her way back. She ran in and out a few times and had me climbing a few different fences. Finally got her in the stall with the calf and if I went to close the gate she came charging out. Did that a few times then I called the boss. He came and she chased him around for a while. Now the cow is outside and the calf is in. Not a great start to nights grrrr.
Oh, that sounds like great fun
only a step down from this?

Much the same. I do a side climb up the gates instead of leaping over. Cement floors in the barn. At one point she had me with no gate to climb but I grabbed a shovel off the wall and showed it to her. Managed to muster enough false bravado to deter her. It'll get better.

I only use them in bad weather.. cold, rain, wind, it really helps the little guys out and maintain energy.. the last one born it was right around freezing, but windstill and a bit of sun, he was fine without it.
For tame cattle, it just takes spending time with them,and treats! If your mommas are at least not agressive, spending as much time as you can when they're just born really helps, even if momma is warning them with moos, but they're enjoying the attention, it really sets them up to be tamer

Around here, my calves go from tame, to being total suckers when the saskatoon berries ripen, those are like cow crack.. they'll do anything for them
Have a great video of a calf picking them for herself this summer. She definitely enjoyed them.

Have a great video of a calf picking them for herself this summer. She definitely enjoyed them.
After a while they start to watch for when I walk by a berry bush and come running over.. the calves are especially grateful since the cows get them all first and there's none left they can reach. Dusty (heifer that just calved) was a bit antisocial until she discovered I could provide berries, she's a doll now. It was also the key to Mega's heart, and definitely a factor in Hades' love for me

My cows don't seem very wise to them. There's a zillion trees/bushes in the pastures.

Well that crazy one was the only one to calve for me last night. They had 4 today and I had one in the first hour so far tonight. Maybe a save, was in a pretty thick bag, whole hear covered tight. I jumped in and tore it off.

My cows don't seem very wise to them. There's a zillion trees/bushes in the pastures.

Well that crazy one was the only one to calve for me last night. They had 4 today and I had one in the first hour so far tonight. Maybe a save, was in a pretty thick bag, whole hear covered tight. I jumped in and tore it off.
I think that happens quite often, and I found often they start licking the calf from the wrong end.. I found heifers are a little slow to get up and lick at the best of times.. good save

I think that happens quite often, and I found often they start licking the calf from the wrong end.. I found heifers are a little slow to get up and lick at the best of times.. good save
This one didn't get up for the longest time, even after I jumped in and out of the pen. Waiting and watching for the calf to suck. She keeps laying down.

Had my second calf tonight. Older, calm, cow. Biggest problem was she knew a little too well where to go. Kept passing the sled. She's in the barn settled in now with the calf. 3 stalls left. Next calf I'll have to start bumping a few older pairs out to the shelter.

Had to be a mechanic to start off my shift. Missed two calves while I fixed the tractor. One backwards. Thought I dodged a bullet. As I'm walking to the barn I get word there's a calf to bring in, by the time I get there there's two out there. First set of twins this year. Both live and doing well so far.

I'd never seen or heard of calf jackets until this year. New(er) neighbors (Man, wife, & daughter) came up from Texas about three years ago and bought 1500 acres of piss poor Ozarks hills and hollers. Anyway, the wife got cancer and died about a year or so ago and the daughter has an absolute love of farming so her and her dad raise a couple hundred head. Good folks (deeeeep pockets). Daughter is in her 30's and single, posts a lot to Facebook and I saw a picture of her new calves last month with jackets on. I liked to fell out my chair laughing thinking this must be some Texas hobby farm thing to put a coat on an animal with a hide full of fur. Long story short, I don't have any of those jackets yet but if I wasn't dead set on moving to fall calving after this year, I'd buy me a whole bunch and use the snot out of them.
That little calf is wearing my 45 lb dogs blanket. She was a month old before she could spend a day outdoors without it.

Attachments

• 0324181428_0001a.jpg
    0324181428_0001a.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0324181659_0001.jpg
    0324181659_0001.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 13
Had to be a mechanic to start off my shift. Missed two calves while I fixed the tractor. One backwards. Thought I dodged a bullet. As I'm walking to the barn I get word there's a calf to bring in, by the time I get there there's two out there. First set of twins this year. Both live and doing well so far.
Momma can count to two alright and has enough milk for them?

Latest posts