Nesikep

Reaction score
How do you rate them?

Dusty, Pookie, Zippy

Dusty

Zippy, Pookie

Pookie, Zippy, Dusty

Peggy

For me, I like the build of Dusty, wish she was just a little bigger overall, probably in length especially.. Character is good, but doesn't stand out
Pookie has the size, and a great character too
Zippy is from a first timer, a bit a deeper chest would be good, but she's impressed me with her growth.. great character as well
Peggy.. I like her belly line, could use a bit more size and a better butt.. Character is not problematic, but unexceptional

Zippy, Dusty and Pookie are all pretty much full sisters.. all sired by Hector, and on the mother's side it's 50% Caddy and 50% Arnold

Dusty and her momma.. Momma had the twins this year

Peggy and her momma, she's the last to calve this year, due in 2 days

Zippy and her momma Zecca, Dusty and her momma Prada, which is Zecca's momma too

I don't have a pic of Chroma and Pookie where you can see momma well, this is her a few winters ago

frieghttrain said:
Dusty, peggy, pookie then zippy. Last 2 seem to lack muscling yours typically have.

Dusty is the most muscled for sure, Peggy has a nice chest but has about the same muscle as Pookie and Zippy.. Hard to get the good pictures sometimes that show what you want to show, Pookie, and Zippy especially have pretty wide butts

Dusty, Pookie, and Zippy here

While we're here...
Here's the calf I"m keeping intact this year, he's a little over 2 months old and has at least 50 lbs on the next biggest calf.. Looking forward to how he turns out, he's quite a hunk now

frieghttrain said:
One of the reasons I dont take many pictures, just can't do the animals justice. That a brother to Zeus?
Yup, full brother.. there's a couple cows in heat today and he's ALL OVER them
I'd hoped Cenci would make a heifer this year, but oh well, she's not really disappointing me that badly!

Well, Zippy had a date with the bull this morning

Seemed like Pookie might have been in heat, but not so sure about that.. this shows her size a little better, bull should be about 1300 lbs

I think the pictures you have posted are a prime example how on a given day a picture taken at a certain angle and stance the perspective you can have of an animal based off that single photo can drastically change from 1 photo to another. As far as replacement heifers go all 3 look fine to me right now. The true test comes once they have a calf and how they raise them. Over the years we have raised cattle I have both gotten excited and pessimistic about replacement heifers as they developed and once they have a calf or 2 have changed my opinion on them. Have seen a heifer look the part of a great cow from birth to 2 years old only to be a terrible mother to her calf and wean a dud and wind up as a cull and also seen heifers that just made the cut as a replacement prospect after weaning turn into really good cows that stayed around a long time.

Just as much emphasis that is placed on phenotype you also have to factor in what you know about the genetics behind the breeding of the female too. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to a heifer out of a cow that has longevity and proven bloodlines in your herd when making cull decisions.

Here is the prime example of a heifer we nearly culled at weaning in 2000. She was a 95 weaning ratio and a smaller framed female but out of a cow who had proven herself so we kept her as a replacement prospect. She was a 98 yearling ratio, still below the average of our replacement females but we kept her because she still had potential. She went on to have 10 calves for us with an average WW ratio of 108 which made her a Dam of Distinction with AHA. We always were amazed at how she would wean the top or one of the top calves every year. If you were to blindly pair her calf with a cow in the pasture she probably would be one of the last cows you would pick to be the dam of one of the best calves in the pasture. There were years we wondered if she was bred as she looked really thin but her calf weaned the heaviest. The true test of a good cow is one that consistently weans a good calf and breeds back every year.

52k.jpg

SPH said:
I think the pictures you have posted are a prime example how on a given day a picture taken at a certain angle and stance the perspective you can have of an animal based off that single photo can drastically change from 1 photo to another. As far as replacement heifers go all 3 look fine to me right now. The true test comes once they have a calf and how they raise them. Over the years we have raised cattle I have both gotten excited and pessimistic about replacement heifers as they developed and once they have a calf or 2 have changed my opinion on them. Have seen a heifer look the part of a great cow from birth to 2 years old only to be a terrible mother to her calf and wean a dud and wind up as a cull and also seen heifers that just made the cut as a replacement prospect after weaning turn into really good cows that stayed around a long time.

Just as much emphasis that is placed on phenotype you also have to factor in what you know about the genetics behind the breeding of the female too. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to a heifer out of a cow that has longevity and proven bloodlines in your herd when making cull decisions.

Here is the prime example of a heifer we nearly culled at weaning in 2000. She was a 95 weaning ratio and a smaller framed female but out of a cow who had proven herself so we kept her as a replacement prospect. She was a 98 yearling ratio, still below the average of our replacement females but we kept her because she still had potential. She went on to have 10 calves for us with an average WW ratio of 108 which made her a Dam of Distinction with AHA. We always were amazed at how she would wean the top or one of the top calves every year. If you were to blindly pair her calf with a cow in the pasture she probably would be one of the last cows you would pick to be the dam of one of the best calves in the pasture. There were years we wondered if she was bred as she looked really thin but her calf weaned the heaviest. The true test of a good cow is one that consistently weans a good calf and breeds back every year.

52k.jpg

Yup, sometimes it's not the pretty ones that do the best, even if they have good bloodline history, I've been disappointed a number of times.. BTW, there's 4 heifers there, first pic is Pookie and Zippy, with Zippy's momma Zecca in the background (She could really use more condition, she's about a BCS 4, hoping she's bred back)
Second pic is Peggy and Pookie
3rd pic is Zippy
4th pic is Dusty, just couldn't get any kind of pose from her, Here's a better one from today

Her full sister, but she's probably a freemartin :( I really like her, so I might either test her, or keep her and if she doesn't breed, she's freezer beef

Pookie's mother, full sister to Dusty's momma.. definitely the nicer cow, and while Pookie could use a bit of improvement, her calf this year I just really don't like AT ALL.. Who knows, she may be a good producer though!

Here's a first timer with a calf I'm probably keeping, the most people-loving calf I've ever had, comes running up to anyone to say hi, could be a bit deeper chested, but she's meaty and wide

Here's Peggy's momma and full sister, she was born late.. she's not bad but probably won't make the cut

My purebred heifer (Robin) with a heifer (Hannah) i'm going to keep, Like Peggy, she looks good from the side, she's got a deep chest but lacks in the butt department a bit

frieghttrain said:
Robin is really putting it all into the calf, Gonna pull it off early to give her a break?
nah, she'll get to recoup over winter and I want that heifer calf... few others are a little underconditioned right now, the ones with steer calves I might pull early september
This is Zippy's momma, she overdid herself last year

Latest posts