2019 Dodge diesel trek

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
Finally got the truck started. Gonna let run for AWHILE. My question is on 4wd on high can you run 30-40mph?

Rule of thumb is to use 4wd to get yourself out of trouble, not into it.

Where are you located?

Yes, but if the truck has an Auto 4x4 option, it is better to use that.

If you can run 30-40 you don't need 4wd but technically yes as long as road is slick. It will bind on dry asphalt/gravel. Of course it's a Dodge so probably needs the front end rebuilt anyway.
Nailed it!

Yes, but if the truck has an Auto 4x4 option, it is better to use that.
I've never had a truck that fancy, but noticed our new(er) McCormick tractor has an Auto 4wd setting. Does that mean it senses wheel slip and engages 4wd at that point automatically?

I've never had a truck that fancy, but noticed our new(er) McCormick tractor has an Auto 4wd setting. Does that mean it senses wheel slip and engages 4wd at that point automatically?

On our tractors the Auto 4x4 setting just engages 4x4 until you get up to a certain speed and then shuts off by itself. I'm not sure if yours is smart enough to detect wheel slip, ours aren't.

That is how it works in pickups though, basically 2wd until the wheels slip, then a clutch in the transfer case engages 4x4 momentarily.

On our tractors the Auto 4x4 setting just engages 4x4 until you get up to a certain speed and then shuts off by itself. I'm not sure if yours is smart enough to detect wheel slip, ours aren't.

That is how it works in pickups though, basically 2wd until the wheels slip, then a clutch in the transfer case engages 4x4 momentarily.
Interesting, thank you.

I've noticed the McCormick and my NH 8260 will engage the 4wd every time you touch the brake pedal, a pretty handy feature in my opinion.

John Deere does the same but I think only in high range if I remember right.

Not a big fan of auto 4wd or auto hubs. Things that engage as they are slipping tend to tear themselves up as they try to mesh together when they are spinning. Big thunks and grinding noises I try to avoid in the driveline of my vehicles. Shift on the fly should really be labeled shift on the crawl.

For those with older Fords with the smooth auto lock hubs your vehicle has to be moving for them to work so put it in 4wd before your stuck. If the front wheels don't make a revolution or so you don't have 4wd. Just some info learned the hard way.

John Deere does the same but I think only in high range if I remember right.

Not a big fan of auto 4wd or auto hubs. Things that engage as they are slipping tend to tear themselves up as they try to mesh together when they are spinning. Big thunks and grinding noises I try to avoid in the driveline of my vehicles. Shift on the fly should really be labeled shift on the crawl.

For those with older Fords with the smooth auto lock hubs your vehicle has to be moving for them to work so put it in 4wd before your stuck. If the front wheels don't make a revolution or so you don't have 4wd. Just some info learned the hard way.
Father in law's 5101E only has a mechanical lever to actuate 4wd, which I can appreciate but the dipsh*ts put it to where you can barely get your hand on the lever and it's pretty stiff. I appreciate the simplicity of the E series tractors, but the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired.

The only automatic hubs I've ever owned were on a '94 Bronco, and if you bound them up tight in a snow drift they'd pop in and out as they saw fit - complete junk. I ordered the '19 Ford in the driveway with the floor shift 4wd and manual hubs, the dealer I bought it from didn't even know that was still an option. I love having the option of using 2Low.

If you can run 30-40 you don't need 4wd but technically yes as long as road is slick. It will bind on dry asphalt/gravel. Of course it's a Dodge so probably needs the front end rebuilt anyway.
Lol it's a 2019 with 13k on it. I hope it doesn't. But if it does it's still under warranty. Dodge has never let me down unless I have done something wrong. Owned 5 over the years, but I am aware of the death wobble and will have it checked before warranty expires

I thought I was the only one who did the 2L thing. People always look at me like I have 2 heads when you explain it to them. My wife and I had a round about it while she was driving thru the hayfield helping me get rolls and all I hear is the motor revving as she tries to take off under load each time. It's really nice if you have to back a trailer a good ways in a really tight spot too.

Interesting, thank you.

I've noticed the McCormick and my NH 8260 will engage the 4wd every time you touch the brake pedal, a pretty handy feature in my opinion.

It's a good safety feature, has saved my bacon a couple times. Keeps you from going into a downhill slide with just the back wheels locked up.

It's also kind of annoying, Whenever you use the brakes out on the road it'll engage 4x4 on a hard surface at high speed. It is probably designed for it, but know it binds up pretty hard because of the shudder when it unlocks.

Auto 4x4 in a pickup is really a good system. You hardly ever see a problem with it. It engages so quickly that the driveline hardly has time to build up the momentum to break anything. I doubt the back wheels even make a full turn before it grabs. Usually in Auto 4x4 the front axle disconnect stays engaged, so all the PCM needs to do is engage that clutch pack, and off you go.