2018 third calf - Cowboy Cut

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The dam is an HPF Optimizer. Her first calf.
Due 9/7/2018
DOB 8/30/2018
Birthweight 70 pounds.
Sire Cowboy Cut
Heifer, only white on navel.
358cvu0.jpg

2qjvkwm.jpg

Ringer: notice the birthweights are correlated to the CE number of the bull. It is not purely a function of nutrition!!!

I got the 97 pounder this fall out of Broadway. You told me you saw some train wrecks out of him. Now, a 70 pounder out of Cowboy who is CE deluxe. Same nutrition!

Bright Raven":15q9xnq2 said:
Due 9/7/2018
DOB 8/30/2018
Birthweight 70 pounds.
Sire Cowboy Cut
358cvu0.jpg

2qjvkwm.jpg

Ringer: notice the birthweights are correlated to the CE number of the bull. It is not purely a function of nutrition!!!

I got the 97 pounder this fall out of Broadway. You told me you saw some train wrecks out of him. Now, a 70 pounder out of Cowboy who is CE deluxe. Same nutrition!
Well duh, SS started getting complaints on birthweight ASAP. A 70 lb birthweight might be to low for your conditions and what your trying to do. That's a perfect sized calf for around here. What's the bag and teats look like on that animal?

True Grit Farms":3fzdix8p said:
Bright Raven":3fzdix8p said:
Due 9/7/2018
DOB 8/30/2018
Birthweight 70 pounds.
Sire Cowboy Cut
358cvu0.jpg

2qjvkwm.jpg

Well duh, SS started getting complaints on birthweight ASAP. A 70 lb birthweight might be to low for your conditions and what your trying to do. That's a perfect sized calf for around here. What's the bag and teats look like on that animal?

She has a nice udder. Small teats. Just the right amount of milk.

Regarding BW. I don't like them that small. I would like to lower my average from 86 to 80.

Regarding Broadway. There is a market for those high BW bulls.

Bright Raven":lcl9x8v1 said:
True Grit Farms":lcl9x8v1 said:
Bright Raven":lcl9x8v1 said:
Due 9/7/2018
DOB 8/30/2018
Birthweight 70 pounds.
Sire Cowboy Cut
358cvu0.jpg

2qjvkwm.jpg

She has a nice udder. Small teats. Just the right amount of milk.

Regarding BW. I don't like them that small. I would like to lower my average from 86 to 80.

Regarding Broadway. There is a market for those high BW bulls.
There's a market for big bulls and some terminal operations will use a high BW bull to wean larger calves. And some folks buy because they like the looks of a bull, same as what some do when buying semen. And that's not a very smart way to buy an animal. Fact is when selling 2 bulls of the same size and quality the one with the lower BW will sell first the majority of the time, and will also bring more money.

Question: VINCE. HELP!

This Cowboy Cut heifer has white on her navel.

How much will that knock off of her value?

Bright Raven":27b1q39y said:

My guess is $0.04 pound. She's a beautiful heifer calf and should also be moderate frame for a Simmental. The little bit of white means she has it in her to produce baldies. I'd be interested in a calf like that, but I would hope she's out of of my price range for a commercial operation.
I'd breed the first calf heifer the same way again and see if her second calf holds true. It stinks that you have to wait 2 years to see what you really have.

True Grit Farms":il0q914q said:
Bright Raven":il0q914q said:

My guess is $0.04 pound. She's a beautiful heifer calf and should also be moderate frame for a Simmental. The little bit of white means she has it in her to produce baldies. I'd be interested in a calf like that, but I would hope she's out of of my price range for a commercial operation.
I'd breed the first calf heifer the same way again and see if her second calf holds true. It stinks that you have to wait 2 years to see what you really have.

I think about that every time I have a heifer.

This calf does look good and extremely docile. If there is one trait that stands out in my small herd, it is docility. My cows don't even raise an eyelid when I weigh a new born calf.

Bright Raven":1rlvyve8 said:
True Grit Farms":1rlvyve8 said:
Bright Raven":1rlvyve8 said:

This calf does look good and extremely docile. If there is one trait that stands out in my small herd, it is docility. My cows don't even raise an eyelid when I weigh a new born calf.
How do your cow's act around strangers? I know you have dogs, coyotes and buzzards so they must be protective of the calf against predators.

You have some outstanding cattle! Im jealous and filled with admiration every time you post pics. Commercial and papered is apples and oranges, but you sure have a good thing going there based on the pics you post. Would love to check it out in person some day when i can make it to KY.

True Grit Farms":2h9dc9ym said:
Bright Raven":2h9dc9ym said:
True Grit Farms":2h9dc9ym said:

How do your cow's act around strangers? I know you have dogs, coyotes and buzzards so they must be protective of the calf against predators.

Strangers don't bother 75 % of them but there are those in the 25 % range than act anxious when a stranger shows up.

bball":29uyz0qz said:
You have some outstanding cattle! Im jealous and filled with admiration every time you post pics. Commercial and papered is apples and oranges, but you sure have a good thing going there based on the pics you post. Would love to check it out in person some day when i can make it to KY.

Thank you so much. That is a special compliment. Everyone is welcome. I enjoy visitors that like cattle and rural America. You don't get much more country than this.

Bright Raven":1ly6vnpo said:
bball":1ly6vnpo said:

Thank you so much. That is a special compliment. Everyone is welcome. I enjoy visitors that like cattle and rural America. You don't get much more country than this.

I can attest to that.

Nice calf Ron, we have 13 fall calving cows that ran with Broadway's full brother. 5 calved yesterday, and could have guessed it's been pouring since midnight

Till-Hill":2uhgkt2g said:
Nice calf Ron, we have 13 fall calving cows that ran with Broadway's full brother. 5 calved yesterday, and could have guessed it's been pouring since midnight

Had my second Broadway last evening. Don't have good pictures yet. Here is what I got in a hurry:
Due: 9/5/2018
DOB: 8/31/2018
280 days Gestation
WEIGHT 88 pounds
qrlxrm.jpg

True Grit Farms":14bc7fev said:
Good thing the calves are coming early. I wonder if the number of full moons during gestation has any bearing on the length of gestation?

I started a thread on that. I am going to do averages when I am finished. This will be my largest single season calf crop. Every calf will be AI so I know the exact gestation period.

This cow had a Broadway Calf last year. Here is last year's picture. That calf was 91 pounds at 281 days. This one is 88 pounds at 280 days.
id976e.jpg

Bright Raven":2899ib9k said:
Till-Hill":2899ib9k said:

Had my second Broadway last evening. Don't have good pictures yet. Here is what I got in a hurry:
Due: 9/5/2018
DOB: 8/31/2018
280 days Gestation
WEIGHT 88 pounds
qrlxrm.jpg

Good looking calf Ron. Really like the way that one is marked. Heifer or Bull?

I see that one is out of a fire sweep cow also.

Latest posts