2018 Tenth Calf - Upgrade

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
This is a second Calfer. I raised her here at Bright Raven. She is out of a Hudson Pine/Rocking P cow. She is halter broke.

A neighbor came by the other day when I was in the birthing pasture weighing a calf. He gave me a friendly reminder that what I was doing is dangerous. Look at this picture. I gave her a little assistance. On this one I am sure it was not necessary but she was fully dialated, both front feet well out so I very calmly just gave her a few assists when she pushed. As you can see, I am sitting on her while I take this picture. I put her in the sweep, haltered her, tied her and she and I delivered her calf. BTW: I am not usually that dirty. But I helped her clean her calf.

I will get better pictures in about an hour.

Dam: Miss Mo
Sire: Upgrade
Calf is a Bull
Due : 9/14/2018
DOB: 9/16/2018
Gestation 287 days
Weight 105 pounds
am6wjm.jpg

1zwmbn9.jpg

24wqyib.jpg

Gestation and BW numbers:
1. Broadway Heifer: 279, 97 lbs.
2. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 279, 78 lbs.
3. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 277, 70 lbs
4. HPF Optimizer Bull: 280, 88 lbs.
5. Cowboy Cut Bull: 282, 94 lbs.
6. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 278, 82 lbs.
7. Broadway Heifer: 281, 112 pounds.
8. Grandmaster Heifer: 280, 88 pounds.
9. Cowboy Cut Bull: 283, 83 pounds.
10. Upgrade Bull: 287, 105 pounds.

6 bulls, 4 heifers
Average Gestation: 280.6
Average weight: 89.7

Every one passed placenta within 2 hours after birth.

6 more to go by end of October

gizmom":3la31nno said:
Ron

Your neighbor was giving you good advise. A gentle cow can turn deadly right after calving. Be careful.

Gizmom

Thanks. I cannot plead ignorance because I got acquaintances right here who have been hammered by cows right after birth. I am a very safety conscious person. This seems to be something that I am willing to risk. I will say, there are a couple that I will lock away from the calf before I handle them.

sstterry":1rtk434m said:
That is a big calf Ron!
Yes.

He had his navel dipped in iodine, a First Defense Bolus, Intranasal Enforce 3, weighed, and nursed. So he is now out in the big pasture.
2m3pu6h.jpg

The other calves are doing well:
Here is Crooked Cowboy (Cowboy Cut)
30mpit1.jpg

Two pictures of Knight (Lock N Load 1143Y)
syqgqs.jpg

2r4stwx.jpg

Big Bertha (Broadway)
qoy6hx.jpg

Latest posts