2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Help Support CattleToday:

Well done Ron on weighing it. I changed my management a bit on my heifers this year and so far their calves have been under 40kg ( 40kg being 88lb) and so have been weighing a few on the bathroom scales also. Very pleasing as of late I have been getting some 45kg (100lb) with my heifers from proven low BW bulls. As far as genomics go, I had one last year that came up with an EBV (our EPD"s) of 7.6 (5 being a bit on the high side of average). I thought that can't be right as its mother did not have big calves and was very easy calving, so I did Genomics to see if it would moderate the BW a bit. It did shift the numbers, they went up to 10.6, I just shrugged my shoulders and laughed. I put in the catalogue not suitable for heifers but I am certain he would not be a "cow killer".

Ken

Fire Sweep Ranch":dzjgtm3p said:
Bright Raven":dzjgtm3p said:
Lazy M":dzjgtm3p said:
Shoot Ron, if you're taking orders, breed me one with Mo Better. Really like the calves from the son that I'm using and would like another..

I don't know if the semen is available or the cost but I will check.

I have always loved my Mo Better calves, but he tends to suck the gut out of them (shallow ribbed) and make them BIG framed. We sold a Mo Better heifer (Ron - Mo Betty) a few years back. I see the guy that bought her every year at farm fest and he loves her! He happened to buy her granddam several years ago (she is still producing), but I still have her dam (she is 10 now, a great cow- goes back to Lucky Dice and Hummer). But they make great females. Semen can be found on him, he used to be a Genex bull. I saw him in person when he resided at Genex years ago...(old video of him). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IdgfQ4ICs

Cowboy cut had pretty high accuracy, and his DNA had been genomically tested, so I do not see how his EPD's would change that much. He has OVER 500 calves registered, and is one of the top sires used.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=2703910

Rapid Fire is one I admire, however he is only 50% so will not find as much use. Though he has better calving ease than Cowboy Cut, he does not have the growth.....He also has a lot of milk, and for many breeders that is something they are trying to moderate (because Vince is the first to point out Simmentals produce too much milk and need supplement). With Price's milk, that would be a disaster! Plus, Price is also a half blood, and I think Ron wants to breed up.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3041151

Ron, if you don't like my breeding selections, don't use them. It is merely a suggestion. You are free to mate your cattle the way you want.
FSR where's your limit on the milk epd? A lot of milk definitely requires a lot of protein, and a fairly good balanced diet. As you know better than most Ron has the feed to support dairy cows if he chose.

Bright Raven":37xljjhx said:
sstterry":37xljjhx said:
Bright Raven":37xljjhx said:
Here is a picture of the condition this cow carries.
2nrhvt4.jpg
Is it just the angle, or is she short on the front end?

Nope, that is the way she is bred to be. To my knowledge, I am the only person breeding for that specific phenotype. I call them "Short Fronts".
:lol: :lol:

sstterry":32ooukj1 said:
Bright Raven":32ooukj1 said:
sstterry":32ooukj1 said:
Is it just the angle, or is she short on the front end?

Nope, that is the way she is bred to be. To my knowledge, I am the only person breeding for that specific phenotype. I call them "Short Fronts".
:lol: :lol:

I knew you would like that.
:lol:

Bright Raven":a3nww3f3 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":a3nww3f3 said:
Ron, if you don't like my breeding selections, don't use them. It is merely a suggestion. You are free to mate your cattle the way you want.

What are you referring to?

Bright Raven":a3nww3f3 said:
The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).

True Grit Farms":39a64l8m said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":39a64l8m said:
Rapid Fire is one I admire, however he is only 50% so will not find as much use. Though he has better calving ease than Cowboy Cut, he does not have the growth.....He also has a lot of milk, and for many breeders that is something they are trying to moderate (because Vince is the first to point out Simmentals produce too much milk and need supplement). With Price's milk, that would be a disaster! Plus, Price is also a half blood, and I think Ron wants to breed up.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3041151

FSR where's your limit on the milk epd? A lot of milk definitely requires a lot of protein, and a fairly good balanced diet. As you know better than most Ron has the feed to support dairy cows if he chose.

Depends on the cow. I look at the cow, and the EPD of the cow. If she is already a good milker (most Simms are), then I try to stay below 50% (20). It is not a deal breaker for sure, however I have lots of bull buyers that ask about milk from the females kept sired by my bulls. That number is important.

Fire Sweep Ranch":205153oi said:
Bright Raven":205153oi said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":205153oi said:

Bright Raven":205153oi said:
The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).

GEE-WHIZ

That is a bit of an overreaction to saying Broadway was a mistake. You got most of the other choices right. I will confess, I am disappointed that you put those white feet on Star Baby's calf.

Bright Raven":35w2by6l said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":35w2by6l said:

GEE-WHIZ

That is a bit of an overreaction to saying Broadway was a mistake. You got most of the other choices right. I will confess, I am disappointed that you put those white feet on Star Baby's calf.

YOU said Broadway was a mistake, NOT ME

You have yet to pose pictures of that dandy!
WARNING: 1143Y WILL throw lots of white! Proof is in that calf!!!! :lol2: Just wish it was a heifer instead. I have three 1143Y calves coming over the next 4 weeks..... :eek:

Fire Sweep Ranch":2mzv1jkb said:
Bright Raven":2mzv1jkb said:

GEE-WHIZ

YOU said Broadway was a mistake, NOT ME

You have yet to pose pictures of that dandy!
WARNING: 1143Y WILL throw lots of white! Proof is in that calf!!!! :lol2: Just wish it was a heifer instead. I have three 1143Y calves coming over the next 4 weeks..... :eek:

Nope. Go look at the Sixth Calf thread. I posted pictures. And it is all your fault he has that white where I don't want it.

Here he is:
5tujyc.jpg