2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1xo8n1dq said:
Bright Raven":1xo8n1dq said:
Nesikep":1xo8n1dq said:
With a few of my cows that throw high BW calves, there's nothing you can do as far as sire selection, they're going to make a big calf regardless.. they'd totally mess up a nice Low BW bull's stats! Somehow those same cows never need any assistance either though (they're all bigger girls)

Exactly. This cow has a gigantic birthcanal. When you do a lot of AI, you get pretty good at telling the ones that are tight versus the ones with plenty of room. Price has a large birthcanal.

I have had the same thought you expressed. It would really wreck havoc on a bull's CE and BW numbers to breed a bunch of cows like Price to him.
I'd be interested in what the birthweight of a heifer calf using Uno Mas would be. Or for a slim chance for a blazed faced calf why not breed her to Rapid Fire? Rapid Fire isn't proven yet but he's working on being the most CE blazed faced bull available from SS.

Vince. I would not be one bit surprised if Price would produce an Uno Mas of 92 pounds. I think that is her bottom dollar. Lol

Bright Raven":2x6zwrcc said:
True Grit Farms":2x6zwrcc said:
Everything works on percentages in the beef business, and the semen companies don't like when accidents like Broadway happen.

Then, pray tell me, why do they still promote Broadway? He is still listed in their catalog. They carry his semen for sale right off the truck. I acknowledge they might be disappointed in his CE numbers but not enough to discontinue to package straws of his semen and market them with big flashy pictures.
He's a big bull that throws and produces big calves and large weaning weights. What more could a terminal operation ask for? And if his heifer calves were bred back to Angus bulls I'd expect a moderate to fairly large calf. I see no downfall to using him unless your a seed stock producer.

Bright Raven":1z4a4ipe said:
True Grit Farms":1z4a4ipe said:
Bright Raven":1z4a4ipe said:
Exactly. This cow has a gigantic birthcanal. When you do a lot of AI, you get pretty good at telling the ones that are tight versus the ones with plenty of room. Price has a large birthcanal.

I have had the same thought you expressed. It would really wreck havoc on a bull's CE and BW numbers to breed a bunch of cows like Price to him.
I'd be interested in what the birthweight of a heifer calf using Uno Mas would be. Or for a slim chance for a blazed faced calf why not breed her to Rapid Fire? Rapid Fire isn't proven yet but he's working on being the most CE blazed faced bull available from SS.

Vince. I would not be one bit surprised if Price would produce an Uno Mas of 92 pounds. I think that is her bottom dollar. Lol
I still think she'll raise a whopper of a calf that should sell great for you. I'm telling you big, fat bred heifers sell really good around here. I use to buy them myself 10 years ago. They were definitely the best looking cows that I've owned. But once we quit pretending, managing and babysitting like we were a seedstock producer, most couldn't make it. It almost makes me sick to think I paid from $1,500 to $3,200 for registered bred heifers and sold them as cows for half that.

True Grit Farms":3v4zyyvh said:
I still think she'll raise a whopper of a calf that should sell great for you. I'm telling you big, fat bred heifers sell really good around here. I use to buy them myself 10 years ago. They were definitely the best looking cows that I've owned. But once we quit pretending, managing and babysitting like we were a seedstock producer, most couldn't make it. It almost makes me sick to think I paid from $1,500 to $3,200 for registered bred heifers and sold them as cows for half that.

Vince, you are starting to whine like Backhoeboogie. You may have done a poor job vetting your purchases. My cattle do well even on reclaimed mine lands in Eastern Kentucky. There is a User on here who can attest to that. He has 4 of my cattle. He is satisfied. I will sell anyone what I have. And I will tell them the brutal truth.

Im the user that Ron is talking about and I can vouch for his cattle. The registered cattle that I have run side by side with commercial cattle and are expected to hold their own just the same. Ive been through a lot of cattle in order to find ones that can raise a calf, breed back on time, and hold condition while running on old reclaimed strip mine grass and free choice mineral. The cattle I have purchased from Ron seem to do really well in the conditions I talked about so they will have a home for a long time.

Vince,
What kind of BW issues have you heard about with Cowboy Up?

ringer":33q4mltl said:
Im the user that Ron is talking about and I can vouch for his cattle. The registered cattle that I have run side by side with commercial cattle and are expected to hold their own just the same. Ive been through a lot of cattle in order to find ones that can raise a calf, breed back on time, and hold condition while running on old reclaimed strip mine grass and free choice mineral. The cattle I have purchased from Ron seem to do really well in the conditions I talked about so they will have a home for a long time.

Vince,
No major issues his BW and CE numbers will be tweaked this winter. SS was hoping to push him as a heifer safe bull with lots of growth like his sire.

Bright Raven":vumjlo65 said:
True Grit Farms":vumjlo65 said:

Vince, you are starting to whine like Backhoeboogie. You may have done a poor job vetting your purchases. My cattle do well even on reclaimed mine lands in Eastern Kentucky. There is a User on here who can attest to that. He has 4 of my cattle. He is satisfied. I will sell anyone what I have. And I will tell them the brutal truth.
I have no reason to whine or make excuses about my cattle. There's over a 100 back in the woods somewhere that I haven't seen for 5 days. My pond is still running out the spillway so I know they have water in the creek. Ron I'm surprised that you haven't lost any big cows that couldn't get up and bloated on a hill or in hole, I have. And AC COWBOY saved one for me that was bloated beyond belief. They eat and then chew their cud laying in the shade when it's a 100+ and start making heat and just bloat. And without help they can't get up. We've probably saved a half dozen maybe more by pulling them up. So far we've never had a smaller thinner cow do that yet.
I've posted this before, if we had someone to care and look after our cows mine would look like yours. I like big fat cows, and I'm not married to them. It's not hard to cut you stocking rate and supplement as needed to attain the BCS that you like or want.

True Grit Farms":3d62qe97 said:
Bright Raven":3d62qe97 said:
True Grit Farms":3d62qe97 said:

I have no reason to whine or make excuses about my cattle. There's over a 100 back in the woods somewhere that I haven't seen for 5 days. My pond is still running out the spillway so I know they have water in the creek. Ron I'm surprised that you haven't lost any big cows that couldn't get up and bloated on a hill or in hole, I have. And AC COWBOY saved one for me that was bloated beyond belief. They eat and then chew their cud laying in the shade when it's a 100+ and start making heat and just bloat. And without help they can't get up. We've probably saved a half dozen maybe more by pulling them up. So far we've never had a smaller thinner cow do that yet.
I've posted this before, if we had someone to care and look after our cows mine would look like yours. I like big fat cows, and I'm not married to them. It's not hard to cut you stocking rate and supplement as needed to attain the BCS that you like or want.

Vince. I think the Bovine Gods reward me because they know I love their children.

True Grit Farms":th4l54ev said:
Bright Raven":th4l54ev said:
Nesikep":th4l54ev said:
With a few of my cows that throw high BW calves, there's nothing you can do as far as sire selection, they're going to make a big calf regardless.. they'd totally mess up a nice Low BW bull's stats! Somehow those same cows never need any assistance either though (they're all bigger girls)

Shoot Ron, if you're taking orders, breed me one with Mo Better. Really like the calves from the son that I'm using and would like another..

Bright Raven":5wb8d3vj said:
Here is a picture of the condition this cow carries.
2nrhvt4.jpg
Is it just the angle, or is she short on the front end?

sstterry":1fsoxzov said:
Bright Raven":1fsoxzov said:
Here is a picture of the condition this cow carries.
2nrhvt4.jpg
Is it just the angle, or is she short on the front end?

Nope, that is the way she is bred to be. To my knowledge, I am the only person breeding for that specific phenotype. I call them "Short Fronts".

Lazy M":2o96nj4q said:
True Grit Farms":2o96nj4q said:
Bright Raven":2o96nj4q said:

Shoot Ron, if you're taking orders, breed me one with Mo Better. Really like the calves from the son that I'm using and would like another..

I don't know if the semen is available or the cost but I will check.

Bright Raven":yx2vb7oz said:
Lazy M":yx2vb7oz said:
True Grit Farms":yx2vb7oz said:

I have always loved my Mo Better calves, but he tends to suck the gut out of them (shallow ribbed) and make them BIG framed. We sold a Mo Better heifer (Ron - Mo Betty) a few years back. I see the guy that bought her every year at farm fest and he loves her! He happened to buy her granddam several years ago (she is still producing), but I still have her dam (she is 10 now, a great cow- goes back to Lucky Dice and Hummer). But they make great females. Semen can be found on him, he used to be a Genex bull. I saw him in person when he resided at Genex years ago...(old video of him). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IdgfQ4ICs

Cowboy cut had pretty high accuracy, and his DNA had been genomically tested, so I do not see how his EPD's would change that much. He has OVER 500 calves registered, and is one of the top sires used.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=2703910

Rapid Fire is one I admire, however he is only 50% so will not find as much use. Though he has better calving ease than Cowboy Cut, he does not have the growth.....He also has a lot of milk, and for many breeders that is something they are trying to moderate (because Vince is the first to point out Simmentals produce too much milk and need supplement). With Price's milk, that would be a disaster! Plus, Price is also a half blood, and I think Ron wants to breed up.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3041151

Ron, if you don't like my breeding selections, don't use them. It is merely a suggestion. You are free to mate your cattle the way you want.

True Grit Farms":35sra8rp said:
ringer":35sra8rp said:

Vince,
No major issues his BW and CE numbers will be tweaked this winter. SS was hoping to push him as a heifer safe bull with lots of growth like his sire.

I have a really nice Broadway heifer bred to Cowboy Up thats due to calve in the spring. I hope it doesnt turn out to be a trainwreck

Bright Raven":2y1vn2w6 said:
Lazy M":2y1vn2w6 said:
True Grit Farms":2y1vn2w6 said:
I got Mo Better semen for you. Got a really nice calving easy baldy SimAngus prospect this year out of my favorite Angus cow. I'm probably going to clean up Broadways fulls brothers daughters with him if I dont sell him

Fire Sweep Ranch":l2z2ujbk said:
Ron, if you don't like my breeding selections, don't use them. It is merely a suggestion. You are free to mate your cattle the way you want.

What are you referring to?

ringer":asgzlgnk said:
True Grit Farms":asgzlgnk said:
ringer":asgzlgnk said:

Vince,

I have a really nice Broadway heifer bred to Cowboy Up thats due to calve in the spring. I hope it doesnt turn out to be a trainwreck
I think you'll be alright I just don't like taking chances when it comes to breeding heifers. I think Cowboy Cut would of been a better choice than his son, and using Uno Mas would of been worry free.

ringer":14yeykt8 said:

First, this is not a heifer from Bright Raven.

Second, did she come with a pelvic score? Every heifer I sell has to meet the CAIP criteria for pelvic measurements.

I bet you will be fine. But have your chains and OB lub on hand. Sometimes a little careful assistance goes a long way.

Till-Hill":12cd3npy said:
Bright Raven":12cd3npy said:
Lazy M":12cd3npy said:
I got Mo Better semen for you. Got a really nice calving easy baldy SimAngus prospect this year out of my favorite Angus cow. I'm probably going to clean up Broadways fulls brothers daughters with him if I dont sell him

Refresh my memory, have you had calves out of your Full Brother to Broadway? Thanks.

Latest posts