2018 Bull Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
We held our bull sale a fortnight ago, conditions around us have been very tough with a dry end to summer and dry winter so we were anticipating a tough sale. I partner with another small Angus breeder and between us we put together around 30 bulls for the sale. We ended up selling 21 of the 30 bulls offered which was very pleasing under the conditions. Me personally sold 6 out of my 7 2yr olds for a top of the sale at $7500 and they averaged $5500. I also put up 5 yearling bulls, I am trying to train the buyers to accept them, I sold 3, one at $4500, the other two at $3000. The other two will live to fight another day.

I have had a few enquiries since the sale, people who came along, wanted to buy, but things at home so tough they could not bring home another mouth to feed. Overall we were very pleased with the sale, it was our 3rd year and we get the feeling that we are getting known for producing a reasonable product at a fair price.

Sires of my 2yr olds 4x Connealy Earnan
1x GAR Prophet
1x SAV Thunderbird
Yearlings 2x Sydgen Black Pearl
2x SAV Renown
1x GAR Prophet

Ken

Bull photos.
GAR Prophet son. $5000

SAV Thunderbird son. $5500

Connealy Earnan son $7500

Connealy Earnan son $5500

I'll stop here and see if these photos post OK then come back and do the rest.

Ken

Here are some more.
Connealy Earnan son $3000. This is Bruiser, he is super thick but unfortunately his BW EBV was off the planet high and Genomics made it even higher though I find it hard to believe from his female side, anyhow he is what he is and I recommended not suitable for heifers. I think it scared people a bit.

Connealy Earnan son $5500

The 2yr old I didn't sell, by a Thunderbird bull of mine. I didn't think he was too bad.

Now some yearlings.
SAV Renown son $3000

Sydgen Black Pearl son $4500

GAR Prophet son $3000

The 2yr olds were a great bunch to deal with. They didn't fight much, all seemed to get a fair go at the feed and so the lighter ones put on the same weight as the heavier ones. Everyone remarked on their thickness and what an even bunch they were. As good as they were to deal with, I was pleased to see them go. I avoid having any head on confrontations with them, it is only a matter of time before they realise they are bigger than me, I like having my back up man Jed (my kelpie) around, he keeps them in line.

Ken

Wonder why the Thunderbird didn't sell? He looks like most of my bulls at 2 and I really like my calves. Maybe he's too compact for some but I like him. Congrats on the sale!

Thank you all, I will have quite a few Renown sons to sell as 2yr olds next year, I am looking forward to seeing how they develop, they are looking very good at the moment. I used him on some of my larger framed cows and am happy with the result except only one heifer though have a few more this year. So far his BW EBV in Australia has been around the average mark and that has been my experience with his calves actual BW. His marbling or IMF EBV is low but that seems to be a SAV thing. I think their appearance will win people over even if some numbers are lacking. If I like a bull I use them for 3 years then move on. This coming breeding season will be the 3rd but I switched over to Resource to compare the difference this year.

Ken

Latest posts