2018 Best States To Live

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man":1al2uf51 said:
greybeard":1al2uf51 said:
About the only place I would never live again is Memphis Tenn.
I have only been through Memphis once in the middle of the night and never stopped, so I cannot vouch one way or the other, but I have met a lot of people with your opinion of Memphis. I meet a lot of people in Mountain City from Memphis. They all have the same reason for moving: "Mountain City is as far away from Memphis as you can get from Memphis and still be in Tennessee." It must be pretty rough.

Have heard lots of that opinion of it, but haven't been there enough to have an actual perception. I would easily imagine it to be similar to Lexington or Louisville here. When I was a child my parents took me to a clinic in Memphis to see if their was anything that could be done for my hearing impairment. Now as an adult my wife and I have been through there several times, it's about a midway point to where she is originally from in Oklahoma. We talked to several folks who recommended that we stay on the outskirts of the eastern side. While there we went to a barbeque restaurant and then to the Bass Pro shop which was down close to the river. I was a little concerned about venturing that far at night not knowing the area but we made it ok.

Ky hills":3g4eaehe said:
hillbilly beef man":3g4eaehe said:
greybeard":3g4eaehe said:
About the only place I would never live again is Memphis Tenn.
I have only been through Memphis once in the middle of the night and never stopped, so I cannot vouch one way or the other, but I have met a lot of people with your opinion of Memphis. I meet a lot of people in Mountain City from Memphis. They all have the same reason for moving: "Mountain City is as far away from Memphis as you can get from Memphis and still be in Tennessee." It must be pretty rough.

Have heard lots of that opinion of it, but haven't been there enough to have an actual perception. I would easily imagine it to be similar to Lexington or Louisville here. When I was a child my parents took me to a clinic in Memphis to see if their was anything that could be done for my hearing impairment. Now as an adult my wife and I have been through there several times, it's about a midway point to where she is originally from in Oklahoma. We talked to several folks who recommended that we stay on the outskirts of the eastern side. While there we went to a barbeque restaurant and then to the Bass Pro shop which was down close to the river. I was a little concerned about venturing that far at night not knowing the area but we made it ok.
Much worse is West Memphis on the Arkansas side of the river.

kenny thomas":tkzo2u58 said:
Ky hills":tkzo2u58 said:
hillbilly beef man":tkzo2u58 said:

Much worse is West Memphis on the Arkansas side of the river.

That's because the wild thing lives on that side Kenny.

TiftonBeefmaster":12ma13we said:
least crime
1. Maine
2. New Hampshire

best infrastructure
1. Iowa
2. North Dakota
49. Mississippi
50. West Virginia

Quality of Life
1. North Dakota
2. Minnesota
49. New Jersey
50. California

In your dreams
You have a different list Mr "I don't post my Location"?

backhoeboogie":c9dobxig said:
M-5":c9dobxig said:
Bright Raven":c9dobxig said:
It happens. I have a friend who I worked with in Helena, MT. He was about 4 years behind me. Raised near Mitchell, SD. He and his wife decided to move somewhere out of the northern winters. They retired to Florida in 2014. They hate it. (No offense M-5). But at 65, they are too deeply invested and age does not treat moving kindly. He tells me they made a mistake but not one that is easy to fix.
Non taken , there are 4 distinct floridas so they picked wrong one.

Same here M-5 If you change "Texas" to "Dallas" it should be on the bottom of the list followed by Austin, then San Antone, then Houston.

I could retire to Navarre Beach, Florida just fine.

When I was a child, my parents went to Florida pretty often, my aunt and uncle had property in Ft. Myers.
It was nice to visit, but I am not real big on beaches and the crowds and traffic that amass around them.
That being said, I have often said that my ideal retirement dream would be to retire somewhere in central Florida, so I could fish in the lakes, and still be around some farming. Went to the stockyards there in Webster once.

Ky hills":1yb6r0al said:
backhoeboogie":1yb6r0al said:
M-5":1yb6r0al said:
Non taken , there are 4 distinct floridas so they picked wrong one.

Same here M-5 If you change "Texas" to "Dallas" it should be on the bottom of the list followed by Austin, then San Antone, then Houston.

When I was a child, my parents went to Florida pretty often, my aunt and uncle had property in Ft. Myers.
It was nice to visit, but I am not real big on beaches and the crowds and traffic that amass around them.
That being said, I have often said that my ideal retirement dream would be to retire somewhere in central Florida, so I could fish in the lakes, and still be around some farming. Went to the stockyards there in Webster once.

I've been told that central Florida has some pretty good cattle volume. However, the same guy told me that Florida had more cows than Texas too.

shaz":qbr4f5bt said:
Ky hills":qbr4f5bt said:
backhoeboogie":qbr4f5bt said:

I've been told that central Florida has some pretty good cattle volume. However, the same guy told me that Florida had more cows than Texas too.

Florida is a large beef and milk producing state but since they figured out they could make more per acre selling it into sub divisions a lot of cow land has been developed. FL ranks about 12th in numbers but I seem to recall we would be higher if land mass is accounted for vs number of head

shaz":3a18msox said:
Ky hills":3a18msox said:
backhoeboogie":3a18msox said:

Florida has three ranches in the top 5 for the most cattle in the US. And the Deseret ranch in Florida has the largest amount of cattle in the country.

Stocker Steve":2c8xh0lj said:
Caustic Burno":2c8xh0lj said:
I know we have sunk with the northern influx.

This is a problem in many places. There are a lot of Canadians wanting to move to Minnesota due to the nice weather and the quality of shopping. :nod:
Lmao!

True Grit Farms":3r9za9ll said:
shaz":3r9za9ll said:
Ky hills":3r9za9ll said:

Florida has three ranches in the top 5 for the most cattle in the US. And the Deseret ranch in Florida has the largest amount of cattle in the country.
a lot of cattle country down there,, but folks think of it as more a vacation spot,, or a nursing home for Yankees....

I'm not surprised Minnesotax made #2. What with all the new buffer strips going in, that wonderful new MNLARS system that makes our vehicle registration as pleasant as a frolic in the autumn mist, and let's not forget the amazing new stadium that has most likely paid for itself 10 times over by now.
Plus when the last of those greedy businesses finally get taxed out to other states there will be plenty of vacancy for more affordable housing for the poor folks not lucky enough to live where they voted themselves a 'living wage ' flipping burgers.

wlamarparmer":5ee0pt2d said:
M-5 enlighten us. I see Panhandle, North Fla (Jacksonville, Tallahassee), middle Ocala, ??, then Orlanda/Tampa, rest South Fla Retirement. Correct ???

Panhandle, North Florida, central Florida and Cuba . All with distinct difference. Here is a little pic of 6 ways to divide it I thought accurately describes it also.

You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd but you can be happy if you want to be. Lyrics from a Roger Miller song

When I lived in Pensacola, the locals told me the whole panhandle was really just South Alabama...tho from what I've heard recently, Nuevo Alabama would be more accurate now. .

ALACOWMAN":8r5kuvjy said:
hurleyjd":8r5kuvjy said:
You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd but you can be happy if you want to be. Lyrics from a Roger Miller song

And it's hard to soar like an eagle, when your surrounded by buzzards....

Buzzards and eagles eat at the same table