2018 Babies are arriving

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
So glad to be home and able to see the new calves. Here are a few photos from this morning:

This is my Granddaughters cow and her bull calf out of SAV Abundance 6117 he arrived on 9/30/2018 and weighed in at 67 pounds. Edited to add the tag was supposed to be pink Jacob couldn't find the pink tags. The cow has a green tag and a pink in the other ear. Sydney's cow has purple tags, getting the tags right is very important to a 7 year old!

F20 ET heifer calf out of our 6R109 donor and Coleman EXT 6149 weighed in at 76 pounds ET calves are tagged with a yellow tag.

I beleive this is F21 a Resource out of our SAV Abigale 913 donor

F23 Another ET heifer out of Resource and SAV Abigale 913

I have more photos but still don't know how to post more than 4 or 5 at a time without it giving me a error message.

Supa Dexta

We don't weigh the cows at birth but we do weigh them every time they are worked 313 days ago Ella's cow weighed 1345 pounds. I imagine she is around 1325 now. I did an average on all our cows a few years ago after working the entire herd and our average was mid 1300's. We have some big ones, my old 525 cow was 1665 313 days ago. The 6R109 donor weighed in at 1820 last time she was weighed while the 0524 donor weighed in at 1730.

Edited to add that average included 1st calf heifer weights.

Gizmom

I found this little stinker hiding in an ole hay pen, her mamma is a 2009 model so she had her put up safe. Mike tagged her F32 so they are moving into high gear. Jacob got home from work and made a run through the cattle and found 4 new babies that will have to be tagged in the morning. I imagine he will have 6 to 8 to tag tomorrow. This one was a 65 pound heifer out of Charlo, I am really becoming a fan of the Charlo females they breed up good feet and legs and really nice udders, they are just making good mammas.

Little bit bummed on this calf, really well put together little fella, but that white on his navel just goes to far. He is an SAV Abundance 6117.

This is F9 born on 9/24/2018 out of A first calf heifer and Buford Pathfinder C304 so far I like the look of her.

F30 a SAV Abigale 913 X SAV Reign 6845 he is going to be a STUD weighed in at 94 pounds a lot to his for just a few hours old.

gizmom

The Charlo's we calved in the spring were weaned. A note able difference in them all were much lighter weaning weights. Their adjusted had nearly averaged 580's whereas others in their contemporary pushed 670's. That being said, they're much shorter and not as long as many of our others. It should also be said that we like their look.

This is our first year using Charlo. It'll be interesting to see them grow. They have some eye appeal.

NEFarmwife":3rjz64u5 said:
The Charlo's we calved in the spring were weaned. A note able difference in them all were much lighter weaning weights. Their adjusted had nearly averaged 580's whereas others in their contemporary pushed 670's. That being said, they're much shorter and not as long as many of our others. It should also be said that we like their look.

This is our first year using Charlo. It'll be interesting to see them grow. They have some eye appeal.
I've always admired Charlo.. You'll have to share some pictures of them sometime :)

Do you have several pathfinders due? He is a bull that really catches my eye. I'm looking forward to hearing how they do for you.
Great looking cows and calves

NEF, that is a big difference in weaning weights. They would have to do pretty good in the next year to justify using him. Around here they go straight to the weaner sales so weaning weights along with milk are important. You pay a bit of a penalty to have something pleasing to the eye.

Ken

wbvs58":3o5m8n30 said:
NEF, that is a big difference in weaning weights. They would have to do pretty good in the next year to justify using him. Around here they go straight to the weaner sales so weaning weights along with milk are important. You pay a bit of a penalty to have something pleasing to the eye.

Ken
Agreed. But we bred Charlo for a few good replacements. We have big cattle. If you look at Charlos #'s, he delivered as expected. We were trying to fix a few mommas.

We fatten ours out. So when we bred for that, we looked at other bulls to do that job.

We only have a small sample size of Charlo females at this point. Of the ones we have all have taken AI first time through the chute and then again on the second calf. Again small sample size but so far I like them as mamma cows.

gizmom

The Charlo females are awesome. They have a Depth and Rib that not many CE sires can match. Only negative thing about them is that they can be a little on the smaller side as far as frame size. But I would take that over an enormous cow.
Our Charlo heifer calves weaned heavier than our Acclaim heifers.
(Head Scratcher)
The Mama cows seem to milk well and wean heavy calves as well.

Well today is our official due date for AI and ET calves and Mike tagged F61 this morning. With a hurricane expected on Wednesday I imagine the low pressure will intice a few more to calve. The calf this morning was our first Abundance heifer, tickled about that. The Buford Pathfinder calves look really good as well. We are flushing two donors tomorrow morning, I don't have high hopes that we will get much, the heat has been horrible, the combination of heat along with old cows that are fat isn't a real good recipe for success. Lost a nice bull calf last week out of a first calf heifer, she dropped the calf in a mud hole and it drowned, just heart breaking. The boss and I has checked cattle the night before and he had commented that he had to work on that Mudhole. Never enough hours in a day to take care of all the stuff that needs doing. It is amazing to me how many ways a cow can kill themselves.

Gizmom

Photo's taken this morning after the flush and before the hurricane!

Buford Pathfinder heifer calf born 10/4/2018 weight 61 pounds

SAV Reign heifer born 10/2/2018 weight 84 pounds an ET calf our of our SAV Abigale 913 donor. A Flush sister sold last Saturday at the Upchurch Angus Sale with her recip for 5000.00.

This is a Resource heifer out of Resource and SAV Abigale 913 I like her we have 5 heifers and one bull on the ground out of this mating.

Another of the Resource SAV Abigale 913 heifers

An SAV Abundance bull calf that keeps catching my eye

gizmom

A few more photos from this morning:

A Reign bull born 10/1/2018 out of Gizmo Bridget 1307

A SAV Sensation bull calf born 10/7/2018 weighed 90 pounds out of our 913

donor
A bull calf out of Resource and the 913 donor I am going to be watching this fella

A Wulff's EXT 6106 out of our 0709 donor cow

A charlo heifer out of our Black Bell cow family.

Hopefully all will be ok after the storm, we still have three or four more ET calves due yesterday I imagine the low pressure from the storm will kick them on out.

gizmom

The boss and I got home Thursday night from our first tour in FLDR have to admit I am exhausted and an emotional wreak. The folks that got hit by Hurricane Michele got hit hard, I have lived my entire life in Florida, been through some bad storms but nothing I have seen has been as bad as this. The best I can describe is it looks like an F5 tornado went through the entire area. Heartbreaking doesn't come close. The Florida Cattlemen Association has folks in the area trying to help but the need is so great it's hard to know where to start. The boss is heading back to Marianna on Wednesday with a skid steer, post driver and grapple if any of you in the area need help he will be with the Cattlemen's group. If you need assistance send me a pm and I will get your contact information to the crew leader. Late yesterday afternoon I got to see my babies for the first time in a week we had 12 more while I was away.

I snapped this of a cow babysitting a group of calves that have discovered a mineral feeder. I think I was in bad need of this bit of normal.

Jacob sent me this photo, just because he really liked the top line on that Reign calf. Ok I admit it so do I.

Folks say a prayer for our friends that got hit by this storm it is going to be a long time before they get to feel any kind of normal again.

Gizmom

Latest posts