2014 Game Identification

Help Support CattleToday:

Was talking to a guy who works for a military contractor who works with GPS satellites just yesterday. He is looking to retire and is considering creating a farm service that would incorporate GPS, on site sensors and drone scouting and meshing this all together in a single service. There is no doubt this fella is extremely intelligent and I have no doubt he is capable of doing all he hopes its just I don't think he understands the on ground "real world" hurdles one has to overcome in agriculture.

Jogeephus":2cjn53ja said:
Was talking to a guy who works for a military contractor who works with GPS satellites just yesterday. He is looking to retire and is considering creating a farm service that would incorporate GPS, on site sensors and drone scouting and meshing this all together in a single service. There is no doubt this fella is extremely intelligent and I have no doubt he is capable of doing all he hopes its just I don't think he understands the on ground "real world" hurdles one has to overcome in agriculture.

but this is exactly what the cutting edge producers need.....
they have gps
they have yield monitors
they have soil maps
they have variable rate capability
they want the ability to tie it all together somewhat seamlessly.....
in our state the problem is that the nutrient management software is too old and decrepit to be useful with the new technology. they have been talking about cloud based technology for two years but no one has had the ability to use it yet.

This is exactly what he is talking about doing. He said he would offer the service free for a couple of years to get people used to it then would charge a fee. I have no doubt he is smart enough to do the fine details I just wonder if he can see the bigger picture and make it user friendly enough for someone to actually use it in the real world. I've worked with him on some other things and with him and he seems to have a problem with practical thinking. If he puts this together I'll let you know. I believe he will because his needle is stuck on it and he could make a pile of money if he pulls it off.

I think there are already some services in the midwest who might be doing most of this but I can not name them.....

I saw a project book from one of them a couple years ago....

john250":3gh5612r said:
Ag science has come a long way using infrared (and other bands) to analyze the health and nutrient needs of crops. One example would be applying a precise amount of N, thus reducing N runoff. Balance that against privacy concerns (I take privacy seriously). Our privacy is already violated by aerial spying. Most counties in the US take a set of photos every couple of yrs. If the county gov wants to pay for the premium service, the photos can be hi-res enough to do an appraisal (for property taxes).
USDA takes another set of photos to administer the various farm programs.
Google earth and several govt agencies take photos from satellites.
Drones are just an additional intrusion, sadly.
And of course NSA will have the ability to monitor and store all data collected by them--heck--they already do. You can bet NSA will insist FAA allow for backdoor access in any code the drones' data collection uses.
It will save NSA the trouble of running their own fleet of domestic drones, as they will just use the data from the private sector drones--with or without the private sector's knowledge or permission.

FAA has to approve it first. They shot down the drones to bring me pizza and a movie. :D

They fly over and find drugs, spills with O&G, polution from plants... why would agriculature think they could dodge it? Im no fan of the EPA... the problem is that agency... not so much the method. Other agencies are already doing it. :???:

john250":36f7k4y0 said:
If the county gov wants to pay for the premium service, the photos can be hi-res enough to do an appraisal (for property taxes). .
That's already here. Two years ago I got a call from the county assessor's office. We have to pay a supplemental tax on business supplies and improvements here. I spent an hour on the phone while they looked at arial photos of every property and asked specifics about what they saw. :mad: They were even asking about spots in the gravel road where the red clay was showing and wanted to know if I had improved the road in that area because the color was different. When I pointed out that it was clay, they tried to tell me that the entire rest of the road had to have been improved since it was different from that spot.
I know that leeches suck blood, but blood was not the word that I used when I called him a "____sucking leech".

Latest posts