2013 Cattle Count

Help Support CattleToday:

JSCATTLE":38ho7mi2 said:
Isomade":38ho7mi2 said:
JSCATTLE":38ho7mi2 said:
Sold all but 50 cows and 2 bulls during the drought . I had 140 cows and 800 leased acres before the drought . I'm kinda happy just running cows on my land . Sure frees up time to fish . I bale hay at my house coastal field . I rolled 270 4x5s on 18 acres last year .
Woooweee! That's some might fine pasture gator boy.
Lots of fertilizer .. And lime

That is about norm here hammerhead, Space Cadet was right about the fertilize.
Before I sold my equipment I had a little 8 acre leased coastal field that would routinely kick out 8 4x5's an acre.
Grass would be so thick had to bail in low gear range in first or second to keep from chokeing the bailer down.

260 head total.. 8 bulls, 45 first calve heifers due within the month (we replaced a lot of old cows this last fall), 10 replacement baby heifers in the feedlot corral, and the rest are mama cows. I run 30 of my parent's cows on shares, but the rest are ours.

Before I sold my equipment I had a little 8 acre leased coastal field that would routinely kick out 8 4x5's an acre.
Grass would be so thick had to bail in low gear range in first or second to keep from chokeing the bailer down.[/quote]

Thats some darn good yields right there CB. We consistently get about 5 bales per acre on a 13 acre field. Got 4.5 per acre on a 80 acre of bottom land this past year, when everyone else was getting crap. Im pretty sure the subsoil moisture had alot to do with it.

Limomike":1o12zwxi said:
Grass would be so thick had to bail in low gear range in first or second to keep from chokeing the bailer down.

Thats some darn good yields right there CB. We consistently get about 5 bales per acre on a 13 acre field. Got 4.5 per acre on a 80 acre of bottom land this past year, when everyone else was getting crap. Im pretty sure the subsoil moisture had alot to do with it.[/quote]

Believe this or not one cutting one time I got 10 rolls per acre. Had to move bales out of the way to bale.
The windrow's looked like waves and were up so high tractor wouldn't clear them, had to pick one arm on the rake and single rake it to make the windrow's manageable.
Only got that once in all the years I bailed that little field. That little field had something special about it and I never figured it out. Ground water had to be close to the surface or something it would produce 1/3 better than any field per acre I ever had.

4,129 and for the first time in my life, I'm not required to feed a single one of them.

On a decent field, I get about 100 16x18x42 squares & 80 lbs each, then there are some, the soil looks good and I just can't get it to yield for more than a year or two before it turns to lawn grass.. I have about 60 acres in hay/pasture, and hold about 25 full sized head, but there's 50 mouths eating pasture in the summertime. I finally broke down and bought a battery powered electric fencer which will help me subdivide into smaller pieces. I also have enough hay that I can usually afford to sell a fair bit, but never know until spring, since an early snowfall (and lazy cows) could make me have to feed 6 weeks earlier (usually start feeding a week before christmas)

Latest posts