2012 hay/grazer cost

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
I have been putting together the cost for this springs hay grazer planting. Plowing ,Two trips with light chisel plow,one pass with tandem disc pulling drag harrow behind it. $55.
32-0-0 fertilizer at $427 a ton ,200 cwt per acre= $42.70.
Seed @ $40/50lbs, 75 lbs acre $60.
Planting with a drill @$7 acre $ 7
Baling at $20 a bale
Bale sitting in field $52.94
Hauling to hayyard @ $4 a bale Bale in hay yard $56.94

Any second cutting will reduce these cost.Second cutting is iffy,most years I graze second cutting.
Cost in other areas will probably be different.

Got a quote on sprigging with coastal at 30 bushels sprigs per acre and planting for $80 dollars an acre.
No fertilizer in quote.
How does this compare to other areas?

Just my personal preference but I hate sudan hay (haygrazer). Most is cut past maturity. Just prefer good grass hay.

After you get the coastal establisted you will save $122 an acre in the plowing,planting and seeds. Hopefully if you get it in early and some decent rainfall you may get a cutting later this year. In future years your cost will be weed control and fertilizer, in the long haul you will come out ahead. To save on fertilizer cost you go with klein grass or ww b dahl bluesteam.

I believe I had about $30 per bale last year in my bermuda/johnson grass field. That included fertilizer, diesel, and net wrap. I did not begin to get 5 bales per acre last year, but as you know it was a terible year weather wise in Oklahoma.

Latest posts