2009 Show Calves, take a look

Help Support CattleToday:

HFSimmOH

Reaction score
I was just taking a few snapshots of the calves that we will be showing this summer and I thought that I would share a couple.
I would love your thoughts as we are always trying to improve our calves.
HPIM1443.JPG

Calves in run lot

HPIM1433.JPG

Feb Heifer

HPIM1432.JPG

Jan Bull

HPIM1431.JPG

Jan Heifer

HPIM1430.JPG

Jan Heifer

I like the Bull calf a lot. Of the heifers, I like the solid red one the best. The red and white one just doesnt appear to be level enough and may be a bit coarse shouldered. I'm so-so on the black and white one.
Good luck!

Killala":uvx1lxwf said:
The bull is bow-legged

I was contemplating ever since I saw this post on whether to comment on it or not. He certainly looks bowlegged in this photo, but I am not absolutely convinced it isn't just a combination of camera angle and how he is standing with his right foot slightly forward that makes it look that way.

BTW I haven't seen many bowlegged animals in my life, have you guys?

I've seen a fair few bow-legged animals, and certainly there seem to be more cropping up recently than in past years.
I don't think enough people are harsh enough on structure anymore.

That must be the understatement of the year!

I think its alot easier to use EPDs for selection than it is to develope an eye for phenotype and sound structure. Sadly those for whom the eye didn't come naturally had given up on learning basic stockmanship skills. What really tickles me pink is the amount of unsound bulls in semen catalogues.

KNERSIE":23z7jj7z said:

That must be the understatement of the year!

I think its alot easier to use EPDs for selection than it is to develope an eye for phenotype and sound structure. Sadly those for whom the eye didn't come naturally had given up on learning basic stockmanship skills. What really tickles me pink is the amount of unsound bulls in semen catalogues.
:clap:
I can assure you, through personal experience, that developing that eye takes a lot of work.
A lot of good photography goes into those semen sale catalogues.

I agree with you guys about structure. But I believe that you are seeing an optical allusion when calling the bull bow legged. He is not standing square as far as I can tell. If we were standing more with his foot even closer to the other foot is would look worse. If he was standing square I dont think you would be seeing anything (bowlegs) there. JMO. But we are jsut looking at pictures.

Thank you all for your thoughts...
Don't worry I wondered about the bull for a long time as he was growing about wether or not he was actually bow-legged. After studying him I have determined that he is not actually bowlegged, his hip structure is so wide that he tends to stand a bit narrow which gives the look of bowlegged. that is not the best picture I have ever taken so here are a few more (not so great pictures of him). When he walks he will hit his mark everytime and as he gets bigger he is standing wider but his actual bone structure is not bowed. I understand the issues that people have with structure and I am very careful about what I keep and what gets cut, the two baldy heifers in the other pictures are his full sibs and their structure is fine, I just think he needs to grow into himself.
HPIM1436.jpg

HPIM1437.jpg

HPIM1435.jpg

Pam - they look good. When I looked at the bull - that was the first thing I thought - bow legged. He sure has nice muscle pattern.
I like the rump shot of the R&W heifer in the 2nd pic. The side shot isn't very flattering. Little high tail set, little shoulder.
The B&W heifer probably has the least amount of gut of all 4 - she appears that way in the group outside shot also.
But, that's being real picky - all in all, very nice heifers.
You're ahead of me. Mine are skinned & I tied them for the first time today. Any idea what they weigh? Mine are still running with mom at night. Your's must be weaned.
How's Tease doing??

I haven't weighted them yet..just haven't taken the time.
Thank you for the nice thoughts I really do apperciate everyone's opinions because it helps me better my herd.
Jeanne...Tease is doing great enjoying the grass and she looks even better then the day we bought her, I can't wait for her calf this fall.

Don't know where my brain is - for some reason I thought about my comment on here - and duh- we have shaved the 3 older animals (fall hfr calf, spr yrlg & fall yearling) but not these 4 calves I'm just now working with. They haven't been touched til last week. I'm walking & brushing them now. They are doing quite well. Yippee!
Glad Tease is doing well. You should love her Beef Maker calf. We have really been happy with them.

These calves are all Purebred Simmentals....I like them alot and I think in the long run they will improve my cows.....the showing for me is just fun win or loss in the end it is about how good of mothers they are.

Latest posts