2009calves_0151.jpg

Schurable heifer

2009calves_020.jpg

Schurable heifer

2009calves_0101.jpg

Schurable heifer

2009calves_026.jpg

Schurable steer

Comments are welcome. I can take the bad with the good , so speak your thoughts.

Fine phenotype throughout! This is a fine indication of excellent seedstock wth their sire(s) and dams. These heifers should make excellent seedstock candicates.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":291ic45u said:
Fine phenotype throughout! This is a fine indication of excellent seedstock wth their sire(s) and dams. These heifers should make excellent seedstock candicates.

DOC HARRIS

I'm trying to improve phenotype with every new calf crop, and it is my hope that these heifers, bred to a proper bull, will continue to improve my herd.

farmwriter":291ic45u said:
Nice looking bunch. Bull calves? Just the one steer?

I decided to be very strict this year on keeping any bull calves. The bull business is hard to make money with in my area. There are many small commerical breeders that will not spend enough money for a good bull. Other Hereford breeders in my area sell good bulls for 1200 to 1500. I do not want to compete with them in that price range , so I decided to only keep one or two per year and they must be good enough for me to use, otherwise they are going to be steers. I can post some more pictures of steers if you would like to see them.

rocket2222":291ic45u said:
I like them too, who's Frankie Lei.

Frankie Lei is a bull that I bred and raised. He is listed as LFF Frankie Lei in the Hereford registery.

That's a really nice group of calves. You should be smiling when you have a crop like that at weaning. Good job raising exceptional cattle. It's rarely the breed as much as it is the management. You apparently have a good eye. It's a shame you're not a breeder of my breed of choice. Either that, or it's a shame I'm not a buyer of your breed of choice.

EC

Nice looking calves Ken. I really like that first Frankie heifer. The schurables look solid, but appear to be made a little differently. Do you have any pictures of Frankie Lei? How do these calves compare to any AI calves you've had this year? Also do you have anything to report on how Schurable is doing for his new owners?

CPL":1oqppmnn said:
Nice looking calves Ken. I really like that first Frankie heifer. The schurables look solid, but appear to be made a little differently. Do you have any pictures of Frankie Lei? How do these calves compare to any AI calves you've had this year? Also do you have anything to report on how Schurable is doing for his new owners?
2008_bulls_029_1_.jpg

Frankie Lei is in the front. He was about 15 months old in this picture. Schurable is the second bull and he was near 26 months old.

I only AI'ed 3 cows last year and just had one stick. It was a bull calf by Frank P230 and a Schular-5N heifer. I do not like her udder and the calf was very long legged, so I cut him. He was 90 pounds at birth and will be a hoss if he keeps growing like he has up to weaning. He is the biggest and fastest growing Frank P230 calf that I have ever had, but his phenotype is less than ideal.
I'm not sure that I can compare this year calf crop to the single Frank P230 bull calf due to his adnormal growth. I will give you my best opinion , for what it is worth.

Frankie Lei have higher birth weight calves than Schurable or Frank P230. Approximate weights from my cows would be Frankie Lei= 90 , Schurable= 83 , and Frank P230- 78.
Schurable calves show more muscling followed by Frankie Lei and lastly by Frank P230.
Frankie Lei calves have more depth in the ribs and flank , Schurable and Frank P230 calves are similar in depth.
Schurable seems to have the best weaning weight , Frankie Lei is second , and my Frank P230 calves normally would be less than the others. This year is a exception on the Frank P230 calf. I think his dam influenced the calfs growth, but I will know more about her next year. I've breed her to the same bull as some of the other cows for comparison.
The new owner should have calves from Schurable this fall. Thanks for reminding me I will check with them soon about their results.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1oqppmnn said:
bigbull338":1oqppmnn said:
thats a fine looking bunch of hereford calves.

I second that remark. LOL Looks like they have a jungle outside their pen but that is alright.

My working pen has been took over by the weeds, it is very much like a jungle. I quess that I need to do a better job of keeping it mowed. :oops:

Latest posts