2009/2010 Show Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
Here is our 2009/2010 Red Angus show heifer. Any comments appreciated. (Ignore the crappy photoshop cutting job). This is the link to the catalog if you want to see the picture w/o the photoshop. http://www.montanaredangus.com/NILE/09NILEpg23.pdf
41.jpg

showing71":2q5hh04c said:
Here is our 2009/2010 Red Angus show heifer. Any comments appreciated. (Ignore the crappy photoshop cutting job)
41.jpg

She has a nice feminine head, appears fairly clean fronted, looks like she has a decent to nice spring of rib about her, and also looks like she has a decent butt on her. Her topline appears to be level but I am having a hard time telling due to the photoshop deal.

Do you have a pic that hasn't been photoshoped? It appears the one on the catalog has also been messed with.

But from the pic she looks a little short necked and heavy fronted for a show heifer. Not that those are bad traits.

Jovid":33kbtbme said:
Do you have a pic that hasn't been photoshoped? It appears the one on the catalog has also been messed with.

But from the pic she looks a little short necked and heavy fronted for a show heifer. Not that those are bad traits.
Haven't got a regular picture of her yet, haven't been home to get one. I'll post one soon. And she doesn't have the best extension in her neck, but it's the way her head is in this picture that make's her look heavy fronted.

Very nice calf. I like her bone, depth, shape of the hip. If I am to critisize her at all, I believe that her neck is a bit short. She alwso may be a bit straight fronted. at least that is the way she appears. But remember there is no perfect calf. I believe her to be a very competitive calf anywhere.

I would be interestingto see her just standing naturally, but she appears to have a lot of promise even in this very poor photo. She is feminine enough with a good enough wedge shape that her lack of neck extension wouldn't hurt her much. After the show she'll very likely make you a nice cow.

KNERSIE":svv1c9wz said:
I would be interestingto see her just standing naturally, but she appears to have a lot of promise even in this very poor photo. She is feminine enough with a good enough wedge shape that her lack of neck extension wouldn't hurt her much. After the show she'll very likely make you a nice cow.
Knerse, the shame of it all is that you almost have to have that pefectly drwn calf over here to win. Its not always about doability either. Seems like things are so competitive over here that you have to keep of with the imagery and fads of the day to stay on top. That longer front is what she needs to do that. I am agreeing with you just reminding you of our exchange rate.

I don't think that you would be embarrassed when you entered the ring, and once she went to pasture and started doing her real job I think you will be happy. I know there are a couple of good shorthorn bulls you could cross her with and get some good Durham Reds.

We went to a show this past weekend. Here's a picture of the heifer in the show ring. She won Champion Red Angus.
showring3-1.jpg

And a rear view
showring4-2.jpg

Congratulations on your success at the show. If you plan on breeding her later, I would lean her up a bit, she looks over conditioned to me.

VCC":1ra8vmxa said:
Congratulations on your success at the show. If you plan on breeding her later, I would lean her up a bit, she looks over conditioned to me.
Ya, and she was only on hay and got that fat. She's out to pasture with the rest of the open heifers now, so hopefully she slims down.

Nice heifer - what did you do to the bottom of her tail? looks like you shaved the top 1/3, left hair, then shaved on the bottom also??? If she has white on the switch of her tail, I would NOT ball it up, just trim it & fluff it.
FYI - it is best (especially with red cattle) that you shave the upper end of the tail at least 7-10 days prior to show. Really is unattractive to have such a color difference.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2oqj1cp0 said:
Nice heifer - what did you do to the bottom of her tail? looks like you shaved the top 1/3, left hair, then shaved on the bottom also??? If she has white on the switch of her tail, I would NOT ball it up, just trim it & fluff it.
FYI - it is best (especially with red cattle) that you shave the upper end of the tail at least 7-10 days prior to show. Really is unattractive to have such a color difference.
The hair on the bottom of her tail must have just laid like that, I did not trim it that way, we don't usually ball tails. I did clip her about a week before the show, there is just that much of a color difference in her hair.

Latest posts