2008 Kentucky Hillbilly Hereford Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF

Reaction score
Some heifers from east of the Mississippi for your viewing.

23772412008heifers001.jpg

23772532008heifers012.jpg

Nice. Probably not so surprisingly, they are built a lot like a heifer we are keeping this year. I'm guessing it's the common Feltons influence.

greenwillowhereford II":10mkez12 said:
I'm guessing it's the common Feltons influence.

They all have a percentage of Felton breeding in them. Mainly from Huth Prospector N065, EF Beef Frank P230 , and a couple from LFF Schurable.

They are some nice well bred heifers Ken. What are they being fed right now and how much? Do you have any plans on who you'll be breeding them to?

How did Frank do for you? Really liked the bull when he was younger but the calves posted on Ellis Farms website didn't impress me.

CPL":uemrcme9 said:
What are they being fed right now and how much?

They are eating all the Max-Q fescue and clover mixed hay that they want, and I am giving them about 4 pounds each of a mixed feed that the local mill makes. They should have a little more feed, however the hay is good enough that it should keep them growing well enough for breeding this May.

CPL":uemrcme9 said:
Do you have any plans on who you'll be breeding them to?

I plan on breeding the (EF Frank and LFF Schurable) calves to Huth Prospector N065 , and the Huth Prospector calves to EF Frankie. It is the next generation that I am having trouble deciding which sire to use. I've been looking at adding some Embracer 8006 in to increase ribeye size, but he severely hurts the IMF of my herd. Embracer will not be used on any heifers , so I will have to wait awhile before I can feel confrontable useing him.

KNERSIE":1u0hqo6s said:
How did Frank do for you? Really liked the bull when he was younger but the calves posted on Ellis Farms website didn't impress me.

My experience with the Frank calves depends on who they were bred with. He normally decrease ribeye size and mature weights, so if your cows lack ribeye area I would consider a different sire , unless you can get paid more for marbling. I like using Frank on some of my cows that have large ribeyes, low back fat, and are bigger than ideal for my enviroment. The foremost calf on the right in the first picture is a Frank calf and I would like to have more just like her. His calves are normally light colored and I can not say how well they will milk. I have two heifers that will be calving in a couple of month so I will be able to have some ideal of their milking ability soon. There is also a calf in that group that is from a Call 100 heifer and Frank that I like, she is darker colored.

Frank is a good bull to use , however the breeder needs to keep their goals in mind and use him accordingly. He can improve a herd in some areas , but the breeder needs to be willing to cull those that do not meet their requirements. Frank calves are probally not going to win any shows and will normally not be visually impressive.

LFF":q88v462a said:
KNERSIE":q88v462a said:

My experience with the Frank calves depends on who they were bred with. He normally decrease ribeye size and mature weights, so if your cows lack ribeye area I would consider a different sire , unless you can get paid more for marbling. I like using Frank on some of my cows that have large ribeyes, low back fat, and are bigger than ideal for my enviroment. The foremost calf on the right in the first picture is a Frank calf and I would like to have more just like her. His calves are normally light colored and I can not say how well they will milk. I have two heifers that will be calving in a couple of month so I will be able to have some ideal of their milking ability soon. There is also a calf in that group that is from a Call 100 heifer and Frank that I like, she is darker colored.

Frank is a good bull to use , however the breeder needs to keep their goals in mind and use him accordingly. He can improve a herd in some areas , but the breeder needs to be willing to cull those that do not meet their requirements. Frank calves are probally not going to win any shows and will normally not be visually impressive.

Thanks, good info. The calves posted on their website are very leggy, not something I expected to see when I first looked at Frank. How much did his EPDs change over time? I remember that as a young sire he had very high backfat and the rest was very good, i can't remember the REA being low? I actually liked his pedigree, the fact that he has pigment considering the pedigree, his depth of body and haircoat, the high BF was an added bonus.