2006 duramax tranny problems

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
2006 3/4 ton duramax with an allison tranny.75,000 miles. The problem is that after the truck sits for a few days, the transmission fluid seems to run out of the torque converter or the tranny itself. You have to run it for about a minute till fluid is pumped back in to it. Have any of you heard about this happening to these transmissions. Also what does this hurt or does it cause bigger problems later.

Must have a check valve sticking. You might try to add some transmission seafoam to it and it may free it up.

The fluid is going to the ground or staying in the trans?

Fred Belknap":3kvaphyu said:
Have you tried changing the oil and filter, might help. Did mine. :)

Fred is right on the money. There is a check valve somewhere, maybe in the filter, that's leaking letting the fluid run out of the torque converter.

I've never had the need to get into the Allison yet. Mine has 167K on it with absolutely no hiccups at all. I change the fluid and filter every 50K.

Changed filter and fluid at 49,600. took truck to dealer and they changed filter and fluid again for free. Hopefully this will fix problem. I bought this truck because of the tranny. I had a f250 7.3 but two months after i bought this truck it was stolen stripped and set on fire. It had 248,000 on it with no problems other than belts and hoses.

papavillars":36xkibvn said:
Changed filter and fluid at 49,600. took truck to dealer and they changed filter and fluid again for free. Hopefully this will fix problem. I bought this truck because of the tranny. I had a f250 7.3 but two months after i bought this truck it was stolen stripped and set on fire. It had 248,000 on it with no problems other than belts and hoses.
theres a kit you can put in the pump... other than that you might have to live with it ,,, its got a spin on external filter and a internal filter have you change the internal?

I did not change it myself. I had it done at a shop. I traded a hog hunt for the work. Looks like we both struck out. He might of not changed all filters and he also just winged his hog. I looked for it for an hour and figured I would locate it by the buzzards.

Latest posts