2001 Dodge

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
2001 Dodge 3500 V8 Magnum 4x4 dually. Good condition w/5th wheel Reese hitch, electric trailer brake, bedliner & topper. Approx 98,750 miles. Asking $13,500 or BO

I am planning on looking into this truck was wondering all your thoughts and knowlegde about this type truck. Anyone have one and any thing good or bad to say?

Be prepared for a massive fuel bill. The 360 in a one ton was just far too underpowered and really gulped fuel down, especially when towing. On the other hand, you didn't have the front end troubles that you did with a Cummins. If you really want a gas engined 3500, try to find a V10. They got better fuel economy than the 360.

DiamondSCattleCo":2z06dt86 said:
Be prepared for a massive fuel bill. The 360 in a one ton was just far too underpowered and really gulped fuel down, especially when towing. On the other hand, you didn't have the front end troubles that you did with a Cummins. If you really want a gas engined 3500, try to find a V10. They got better fuel economy than the 360.

Wife's got a 99 2500 with the 360 in it, best I've seen was 13mpg. Towing anything it's less than 10. Nice torque, though.

Thanks for the comments any problems otherwise I will only be a farm truck with pulling maybe 12 times out of the year. I have a ford 460 right now so I know about the gas but everything else is wrong with it as well just don't want that to be the same with this truck

i got a 98 half ton and it suck on mpg and it still does not pull very good ether !

My brother has an 02 Dodge 2500 4X4 he has had many front end and 4X4 problems :!: They lose their resale value so quick for a reason. If you go with this one I hope you bave better luck than he did.

3fifty7":1s6wqpbv said:
My brother has an 02 Dodge 2500 4X4 he has had many front end and 4X4 problems :!: They lose their resale value so quick for a reason. If you go with this one I hope you bave better luck than he did.

357, are you talking about a diesel 2500? If so, the front experiences of your brother are not the same ones you'll see with a gas 360. The gas engined Rams use the same front end as the diesels (in 2001+, prior to 2001 you needed to order the HD package with the gas engine), only you have considerably less weight. Those front ends were easily the toughest in the business (for a gas engined truck).

As far as resale value goes, thats totally a regional thing. In my area (actually, most of the Prairie provinces), a gas engined Dodge 2500 will fetch far more money than a comparable gas engined Chevy or Ford. Example: I just bought a 1990 Chebbie 1500 4x4 as a ranch beater for $3000.00. Thats an average price tag on something like I bought. Brand new engine, recent trans, some new front end components. A similar Dodge would have run me another $1500. I could have bought a Ford for around $500 less. In bigger cities, that likely would have been reversed with the Dodge coming in last. We used to buy used Dodges out of the city and resell them into rural areas. Our local dealership still does it.

Rod

It is gas, the 5.7 hemi, 4X4 2500 HD. I know we are hard on vehicles on the farm but his truck just will not hold up like a similar Chevy or Ford doing the same job.

3fifty7":1k1ny8nf said:
It is gas, the 5.7 hemi, 4X4 2500 HD. I know we are hard on vehicles on the farm but his truck just will not hold up like a similar Chevy or Ford doing the same job.

You guys must have a Monday or Friday truck :)

your guys are full of it.. :dunce: ..my dodges run circles around fords and chevys no matter the day of week. And I've owned all of them.

Yeah i've owned them all too, and had nothing but issues with the Dodge. And I like Dodge. We had a 98 1500 with the 5.8 litre Magnum and it was absolutely gutless, had a rough shifting transmission that shifted way too much and had a weak front end that had to be repaired. When I traded it in for a GMC (and I hated to do it) I couldn't believe the difference in the trucks. Night and day. And like I said, I like Dodge. Maybe I just had a bad truck, maybe its not all of them, but it sounds like a previous post had issues with their 98 Dodge as well.

That being said I think you are right to get a gas engine right now. Don't let any of these diesel lovers talk you into anything else. :D There is absolutely no justification in my opinion for a diesel engine over a gas one right now. And I own a diesel, but let me tell you, its not worth paying the extra dollar per gallon to fill it up just for the added power and torque. A good gas engine would do most people just fine, and be way easier on their wallet. I miss my gas engine. :cry2: