2001 cummings diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple D

Reaction score
Replaced my fuel filter this evening, like of done countless times, never had a bit of trouble. This time they sold me the wrong filter so I had to take it back. Got the right one came back and put it on and now my truck won't crank. Never had to bleed anything before. I've done on my old tractor numerouos times but it's pretty simple, filter, pump, and then the injectors but I ain't gonna tackle that on this truck cuz I don't know how. I did notice the injector pump has a schedder valve, I did depress till I got a good stream of fuel but still no crankey, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

It is easier that you think. Bump the starter and then leave the key in the run position until the fuel pump stops and repeat 5-6 times. If it still doesn't start repeat the whole process.

Turn the key to on without starting about 10 times. The system is self priming if I remember right

I changed the filter myself on my 99 twice, the second time was worse than the first, I tried all that stuff including bleeding the injectors. I finally got it started both time times, but now i take it somewhere and pay someone else to do it.

thanks for all the help folks, so far nothings happening but I'll get back on it in the morning,,thanks again

Triple D":67hz3min said:
thanks for all the help folks, so far nothings happening but I'll get back on it in the morning,,thanks again
If you completely drained the filter it may take a little more.

If the o ring on the housing gets pinched the system won't prime....may try resetting the filter and lube the o ring

If i remember right, when you're trying to prime it, you need to push down on the throttle a little. I remember i had a time the last time i changed mine, i even called a diesel mechanic for advice. I tried turning the key on several times and loosening the injectors and bleeding the system and it finally started. I know on a tractor that you have to depress the throttle when you're trying to bleed the system.

first off...its cummins...not cummings...anyways

if you drained the filter hsg from the btm it wont fill it up for a few key cycles..cranking wont run the lift pump except for the first 5 secs and then it will stop until the truck fires. if you bump the key w/o starting it you should be able to hear it run. try openng the btm of the filter hsg and see i fuel is running out. when its full it will pour out.

it should fire after 3-4 cycles at the most. you can try holding yer foot to the floor if ya hear the lift pump running and for sure know its bringing fuel to the inj pump. if that doesnt work and it might not but mostly it will..then crack the easy inj and spin it til ya git fuel but really shouldnt haft do this

gary

Thanks again folks for all your help and adivce, Sorry about the typo dieselbeef. Problam solved, it is the supply pump, zero pressure. I'm told 10 psi is the minum. I was also told by my guy that I was fortunate to find the problem the way I did. I'm told if I had been able to evacute the system of all air once the system closed again and got it running but with a weak supply pump that it really take a toll on the injector pump. Anyway on the road again and thanx again.

rather than picking apart the spelling of Cummins, I'd say what got me was the fact that it wouldn't crank, while it sounded like it cranked but didn't start :roll:

Latest posts