200+% of normal moisture means hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
So far this year we have received over 200% of normal moisture and are within an inch of receiving our whole years normal amount (11.5")... Which has allowed the Milk River Valley hayfield's to grow..

A predominantly bromegrass field..

A predominantly Grarrison Creepin Foxtail field..

An alfalfa/grass field 30 miles south of the Canadian border:

SJB":2nrbuuzs said:
That looks awesome. Can I come deer hunt?

Yeah- but the deer hunting isn't very good yet around here.. It was awesome- and a few years ago I could look out my living room window in the morning and see 200 deer-- but then the deer got Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) and it killed most of the whitetail off... Now you are lucky if you see 2-3 deer together... Still mulies out in the Missouri breaks- but I don't own any land out there..

Oldtimer":36pn8ppx said:
SJB":36pn8ppx said:
That looks awesome. Can I come deer hunt?

Yeah- but the deer hunting isn't very good yet around here.. It was awesome- and a few years ago I could look out my living room window in the morning and see 200 deer-- but then the deer got Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) and it killed most of the whitetail off... Now you are lucky if you see 2-3 deer together... Still mulies out in the Missouri breaks- but I don't own any land out there..

you keep growing alfalfa like that, and they'll be back in a few years! looks great.

TexasBred":2kpw3kiw said:
Looks like it should have already been cut.

WE usually don't cut the grass and grass/alfalfa mix hay until after the 4th of July- going for quantity over quality and hopefully getting past the June rainy season... This year with a thunderstorm coming every other day- we wouldn't have been able to cut even if we wanted to..

Latest posts