200 cows about 1/2 grangus 1/2 Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I know this is a very general question but I'll get more specific later.

If you had a 200 head cow herd with about 1/2 brangus and 1/2 Angus in southern middle Tn. how would you market the calves? Again, I know very general & vague but give me what you can. I'll answer questions if I can also.

I meant Brangus in the posting title :dunce:

Well, you would deffently be in the feeder business and I am in the seedstock business but from what I have seen I would considering shipping them west. Maybe hook up with a feeder/finisher in the west.

Not sure how to go about answering your question. I opened mainly because I was curious as to what a "grangus" cow was......not a breed/composite I was familiar with. LOL Now I see it was a typo.

As for marketing the calves, how noticeable is the 'ear' on them?

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2kavjsk0 said:
Not sure how to go about answering your question. I opened mainly because I was curious as to what a "grangus" cow was......not a breed/composite I was familiar with. LOL Now I see it was a typo.

Katherine

Me too I was thinking somebody had made up a name for a Gert Angus cross, not B- cows.

Workinonit Farm":2xbim5y1 said:

Katherine

Not hardly at all, the ear isn't really there but still have some Brahma blood.

Selling feeder calves:
With 200 head you are right on the edge of whether you could sell full truckloads off the farm. 300 head would be better. Full truckload is about 85 - @600#, all of the same sex, frame, type, condition, and weight within 50#. Would be hard to get 85 like that from 100 calves. Might be able to sell a split load of heifers & steers. I would talk to the order buyers at you local sale barn. They would love to purchase a truckload direct off the farm for good, uniform, weaned, vaccinated, bunk broke calves, and would pay a premium for them. Normally $.05 to $.10/lb. The ones that don't fit in the group sell at the sale barn or locally private treaty. - Another idea is to partner with a close by neighbor to join calves togather to form trucklod lots.

Sell to feedlot:
If you have the space it migh be easier to background and grow the calves out to about 900# and sell uniform truckloads, about 55-60 head, direct to a feedlot.

Can you group them and sell trailer loads off a video sale? - a little ear won't hurt them.

Howdyjabo":7ybygkju said:
Can you group them and sell trailer loads off a video sale? - a little ear won't hurt them.

That sounds good but I guess you have to hook with the right people for the video sales to happen

With that number of cows would it make sense to have a fall and spring calving season? Try to split them as best you can?

Latest posts