20 Years Ago

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Anyone remember that song by Kenny Rogers, "20 Years Ago"?
Linda, my wife, and I were listening to it the other night and laughing about some of the things we thought about 20 years ago...
For instance, we wanted to live in a home with a loft for our bedroom... Not a bad idea, but due to budget constraints, we designed our dream home around a very small footprint that would not allow for a stairway up to or a bathroom in the loft area... No problem we thought, we'll just use a ladder!
Who would have thought that I would have to get up to go pee at least once a night... I can just see myself today trying to get up and down that ladder in the middle of the night :D
We actually found a home very similiar to the one that we had designed, and fortunately the builder enlarged the footprint to accomodate for a stairway and bathroom...
But today, we are looking at building another home... One that has nothing that you would have to raise you feet more than an inch or two to get over... Like a walk in shower...
Everyday, I make a very concious effort to make sure that after my shower I lift my foot high enough to get it up AND over the side of the bathtub... Visualize for a moment (Any longer than that could create a need for counseling) not getting my foot up high enough... Stumbling, falling out of the bathtub/shower, breaking something when I hit the deck, and the EMT's finding my wet, untanned, overweight, naked body lying there on the floor in a pool of water... Wondering how to contact the local Chapter of "Save the Whales" and get this fine specimen of a Baluga back into the ocean...
Anyone else looking backward or forward? :D

Well JC you would just be another story shared with a group of people who have a very sick sense of humor. :D ;-)

Yeah I think alot about what has happened in the last 20 years and wonder what the next 20 will bring.
Can hardly wait to start building our first and only new house. Walk in shower is already picked out. You might need to pick the same one I did, you can push a wheel chair into it. :D

yep 20 yrs ago I never thought I would need or want cab tractors w/Ac, or trucks with running boards,or worry about steps to get into the tractors or smaller chainsaws or a hyd wood splitter
wife is thinking now that she wants automatic gate openers
I am just thankful that I can still do the work I used to do thanks to these lil extravagances

Just Curious":25em0t5i said:
Anyone remember that song by Kenny Rogers, "20 Years Ago"?
Linda, my wife, and I were listening to it the other night and laughing about some of the things we thought about 20 years ago...
For instance, we wanted to live in a home with a loft for our bedroom... Not a bad idea, but due to budget constraints, we designed our dream home around a very small footprint that would not allow for a stairway up to or a bathroom in the loft area... No problem we thought, we'll just use a ladder!
Who would have thought that I would have to get up to go pee at least once a night... I can just see myself today trying to get up and down that ladder in the middle of the night :D
We actually found a home very similiar to the one that we had designed, and fortunately the builder enlarged the footprint to accomodate for a stairway and bathroom...
But today, we are looking at building another home... One that has nothing that you would have to raise you feet more than an inch or two to get over... Like a walk in shower...
Everyday, I make a very concious effort to make sure that after my shower I lift my foot high enough to get it up AND over the side of the bathtub... Visualize for a moment (Any longer than that could create a need for counseling) not getting my foot up high enough... Stumbling, falling out of the bathtub/shower, breaking something when I hit the deck, and the EMT's finding my wet, untanned, overweight, naked body lying there on the floor in a pool of water... Wondering how to contact the local Chapter of "Save the Whales" and get this fine specimen of a Baluga back into the ocean...
Anyone else looking backward or forward? :D

"I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Twenty years ago I was the mother of a year old child living in an apartment. Back then the dream was to have two cars. We only had one, and the person who wasn't at work was the person who sat home with the baby. I worked days and he worked nights and we swapped child care duties.

20 years ago at this time I was sneaking around the Panamanian jungle hoping to get a shot at Noriega's PDF soldiers before they got a shot at me. I never thought that I would have a wife, 3 kids or a farm. I never thought that my 6 ft 185 pound muscled body would turn into a 250 pound body that has to strain like a madman just to bench press my body weight. I never thought I would become a coffee drinker, lose some of my hair, work at a desk etc. My daughter started MTSU this year so now old has officially set in. One of these days I may accept it...... :cry:

HOSS":2rj7e3hh said:
20 years ago at this time I was sneaking around the Panamanian jungle hoping to get a shot at Noriega's PDF soldiers before they got a shot at me. I never thought that I would have a wife, 3 kids or a farm. I never thought that my 6 ft 185 pound muscled body would turn into a 250 pound body that has to strain like a madman just to bench press my body weight. I never thought I would become a coffee drinker, lose some of my hair, work at a desk etc. My daughter started MTSU this year so now old has officially set in. One of these days I may accept it...... :cry:

When you work around high school students and you remember things that happened long before they were born like it was yesterday, or when you are old enough to be the mother of some of the teachers, then old really sets in.

Lammie":cnmxomsb said:
HOSS":cnmxomsb said:
20 years ago at this time I never thought that my 6 ft 185 pound muscled body would turn into a 250 pound body that has to strain like a madman just to bench press my body weight....... :cry:

When you work around high school students and you remember things that happened long before they were born like it was yesterday, or when you are old enough to be the mother of some of the teachers, then old really sets in.

Fit.... There Hoss... I remembered how to spell it!! Even without spellcheck...

Lammie, what hit me a few years back was stepping onto a high school court to referee a basketball game one night at the high school that I graduated from and seeing classmates of mine that were now both teachers and parents of the players on the court...

Today, I am just about ready to turn in my whistle... I still referee, or at least I would like to think so, but on an on-call basis... Just when our officials's pool is desperate... There was a person in my last pool that was 72 and still out there on the floor.. There were a number, including myself, that thought he ought to step down but no one had the heart to say anything...
I am getting to that point and I hope that I don't overstay my welcome...

Just Curious":1kn5urij said:
Lammie":1kn5urij said:
HOSS":1kn5urij said:
20 years ago at this time I never thought that my 6 ft 185 pound muscled body would turn into a 250 pound body that has to strain like a madman just to bench press my body weight....... :cry:

Fit.... There Hoss... I remembered how to spell it!! Even without spellcheck...

Lammie, what hit me a few years back was stepping onto a high school court to referee a basketball game one night at the high school that I graduated from and seeing classmates of mine that were now both teachers and parents of the players on the court...

Today, I am just about ready to turn in my whistle... I still referee, or at least I would like to think so, but on an on-call basis... Just when our officials's pool is desperate... There was a person in my last pool that was 72 and still out there on the floor.. There were a number, including myself, that thought he ought to step down but no one had the heart to say anything...
I am getting to that point and I hope that I don't overstay my welcome...

JC, I probably should have put a period after ft. to denote feet.

HOSS":3mzhf3qe said:
JC, I probably should have put a period after ft. to denote feet.

Ft. ft. ft ... I understood what you meant, Hoss.... :D I was just thinking back about what "fit" once meant when you were talking about benching your own body weight (which I could never do). And today I feel good about just remembering how to spell it... :D Heck I feel great just knowing that I can still get my own socks on my own feet... Well with the help of a little gravity anyway....
My eldest daughter was home for Christmas... She went with me to a lot of my running and cycling competitions as a youngster... I noticed her watching me now as I was just trying to stand up at church and was wondering what she was thinking...

Well 20 yrs ago I had a regular job and a weekly paycheck.
Now retired working harder without a paycheck.

Now let's take it back 40yrs ago.
Just returned home from Nam the second time and became a mister instead of sgt.

I can even remember 50ys ago a 16 yr old boy with not a care in the world,and just about knew it all. Man I realize just how dumb I was.

Yep,you got it "older than Dirt". That's me.

Cal

20 years ago I was still 5 years away from getting my driver's license, and worried about who I'd ask to the Valentine's dance - at which I threw up fruit punch out my nose onto my white shirt.

Some of us were talking today at work and this struck them as funny: I've been married a little over 7 years, before then I was living at home and eating Mom's cooking, weighed a tad over 200lbs. As of today I rang in at 175 even, what does that say for the wife's cooking?

20 years ago I was still 5 years away from getting my driver's license, and worried about who I'd ask to the Valentine's dance - at which I threw up fruit punch out my nose onto my white shirt.
Hey!! 20 years ago I was at a Valentines dance and there was this nerdy, hairy, kid there. He was wearing a white shirt and a grass skirt. Poor thing had no date (as if!). Anyhow ~ he threw up fruit punch out his nose onto his white shirt. You don't think......nah, couldn't be......

Some of us were talking today at work and this struck them as funny: I've been married a little over 7 years, before then I was living at home and eating Mom's cooking, weighed a tad over 200lbs. As of today I rang in at 175 even, what does that say for the wife's cooking?
We have seen your wife cpinz :pretty: . I think you should just sit down, eat what she puts in front of you and say "Thank you Sweetheart!!" :nod:

Try not putting so much Everclear in the punch. My first date was a Valentine's dance, in 1980. Gads!

Hmmm, 1989....Just got the first born graduated from High School and was dealing with a teenage girl who had a wild boy scoping her out.... Working every day within a bureaucracy that was typical in everyones perception of bureaucracies....and OMG am I glad to be past all that crap!!!! Whew, don't wanna think about that anymore.... :frowns:

angie":vo1j2fal said:
Hey!! 20 years ago I was at a Valentines dance and there was this nerdy, hairy, kid there. He was wearing a white shirt and a grass skirt. Poor thing had no date (as if!). Anyhow ~ he threw up fruit punch out his nose onto his white shirt. You don't think......nah, couldn't be......
I think the lutefisk is what turned my stomach, that stuff would gag a maggot.

Were you the one with the Tina Turner hair doing the pole dance on stage? When you raised your arms up, it looked like you had Don King in a headlock.

cfpinz":3ncnpzsy said:
angie":3ncnpzsy said:
I think the lutefisk is what turned my stomach, that stuff would gag a maggot.

Were you the one with the Tina Turner hair doing the pole dance on stage? When you raised your arms up, it looked like you had Don King in a headlock.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :help:

20 yrs ago...hummmm...gonna make me think about that huh,, was a coach for the little pom pomers in a majorette drill team. i always liked working w/ the little girls. they were a lot of fun always running around, never in the right line for very long keeping in step wasnt even in the picture and if some ones puppy came by there went your group ! what energy that took. oldest daughter was 5 youngest was 3, teaching my girls and half the neighbor hood how to ride a bike and horse, reading stories and singing abc's trying to get it in amandas head horse turds was NOT appropriate sling shot ammo. awwa can u tell i miss them days

Latest posts