$20 calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey Guys, im new here and new to cattle, Long story short I entered a $20 raffle and I won this guy.. All the guy told me is that he is Black angus, 3 months, @280lbs, No shots.. 3 days ago I vaccinated him (8way) Dewormed (shot).. Currently I'm feeding him 2lbs Beefmaker by Nutrena and 1/2lb Calfmana, two times a day and all the hay he wants.. How sure can I be about being black angus.. have my little doubts since him being a little redish.. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 55AE0ABD-F072-4205-8948-F4B9BDFACBCC.jpeg
    55AE0ABD-F072-4205-8948-F4B9BDFACBCC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • AC2CF0DD-00FD-4F4D-A11F-B9B3C28CADF5.jpeg
    AC2CF0DD-00FD-4F4D-A11F-B9B3C28CADF5.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
  • E5BE4820-95FA-455F-B086-5DD4E706B38C.jpeg
    E5BE4820-95FA-455F-B086-5DD4E706B38C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Thank You, At first my thoughts were I'd get good steaks out of him lol but after spending time with him, now I want to keep and it's kind of like a goal to me of how good I can make him look.. I'm planning to get him show feed in about a month and see how nicely he can get

The winning steer at our county fair a few years back was finished on Rural King Midwestern Sweet Mix and Calf Manna. The girl showing didn't come from a farm, the steer was the only animal on the place. Turned out to be a super nice Shorthorn steer.

How sure can I be about being black angus?
Without documentation or genetic testing I would say you can be 94% certain that the vast majority of his genetics are black angus, his phenotype fits the bill.

Technically he can only be considered a $20 calf, if all of the fees from all of the raffles you ever enter and lose are included in the $20.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.... find him a buddy somewhere... he will be happier. And if you plan to keep him for a lawn ornament and not put him in the freezer, make sure he is castrated.

He looks mostly/all angus.

Don't push the grain or you will wind up causing founder.... he needs grain to supply the protein to grow, but don't push it like someone going to show.... it can cause way more digestive issues down the road.

Welcome to the forum.... find him a buddy somewhere... he will be happier. And if you plan to keep him for a lawn ornament and not put him in the freezer, make sure he is castrated.

He looks mostly/all angus.

Don't push the grain or you will wind up causing founder.... he needs grain to supply the protein to grow, but don't push it like someone going to show.... it can cause way more digestive issues down the road.
Thank you for the reply, Yes I'm looking into Corn and oats.. How would I feed him the grain, do I mix it with his feed or in between feedings? amd how much would be good? Sorry I'm new but I'm really liking this

Without documentation or genetic testing I would say you can be 94% certain that the vast majority of his genetics are black angus, his phenotype fits the bill.

Technically he can only be considered a $20 calf, if all of the fees from all of the raffles you ever enter and lose are included in the $20.
First one I've ever entered, I built him a $400 pen if that counts lol

Welcome to the forum. You should call your local Vet and see what other vaccinations he may need. The 8 way is great but you probably need a respiratory vaccine too. Also, most of the 7 and 8 ways require a booster to be fully effective.

There is lots of knowledge on this Board and they are all willing to help. Please stick around and tell us how he does and what you are doing. Let us share in your adventure.

You might get a higher fiber creep feed that you can feed with a little less worry about founder. They still have good protein but not as hot as a finishing feed.

Just so that you are clear, you are already feeding grain through these. As @MurraysMutts said, for now, that is plenty. He will eat more as he grows.
Thank You.. him going on 4months, I'm thinking of switching feed to PURINA Pre Con Comp until 6 months.. I got that Beefmaker before doing some research since I just wanted to feed something right away.. See the problem is that I don't know at how many months did they weaned him from mother.. I'm just worried he didn't get enough milk, and I'd like for him to fully develop.. Any advice?

I understand your concern, but dairy farmers routinely wean dairy calves at 8 weeks of age after they start cleaning up a few pounds of calf starter feed per day.

Your location isn't stated, but as hot as it has been here, make sure he has access to all of the clean fresh water he needs.

Latest posts