20 acres pasture/hay amount?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I have found 21 acres for sale in middle Tennessee and 20 of it is nice level pasture good for hay production or grazing. About how much hay could/would that produce and what would it sale for at a fair price, not super inflated? Once I get cattle on it I'm guessing about 20 at the most? This is about 30 miles west of Nashville so you Tennessee guys could probably answer this. But anyone else is welcome to give me advice also, Thanks!

tncattle":7ti89tk8 said:
I have found 21 acres for sale in middle Tennessee and 20 of it is nice level pasture good for hay production or grazing. About how much hay could/would that produce and what would it sale for at a fair price, not super inflated? Once I get cattle on it I'm guessing about 20 at the most? This is about 30 miles west of Nashville so you Tennessee guys could probably answer this. But anyone else is welcome to give me advice also, Thanks!
it should produce between 120 an 160 rolls in ideal hay years enough for 30 to 50 cows.i dont know what its worth prolly $1500 an acre more or less.

bigbull338":ek08vp8f said:
tncattle":ek08vp8f said:
it should produce between 120 an 160 rolls in ideal hay years enough for 30 to 50 cows.i dont know what its worth prolly $1500 an acre more or less.
Scott, There is no way 20 Acres around here or west of this area will produce near that many rolls.Even the best ground around the Mid State will only produce 3 rolls an acre fertilized to the tilt, and good rainfall. I have one field that's about 75 Acres, and it makes just shy of 120 rolls a cut. (5x6's) As far as price goes, I'd say west of Nashville, prices will be around 2500-3500 an Acre.

There is some ground in middle TN that will produce more hay than that. I cut about 12 acres one year that wasn't fertilized, and got 48 5x6 rolls off it. The hay was mostly orchardgrass and some lezpedeza. This was in the northern middle TN area.

The area west of Nashville would do well to produce 2.5 - 3 tons to the acre with fertilizer and rain.

Crowderfarms":2hsqizyp said:
bigbull338":2hsqizyp said:
tncattle":2hsqizyp said:
Scott, There is no way 20 Acres around here or west of this area will produce near that many rolls.Even the best ground around the Mid State will only produce 3 rolls an acre fertilized to the tilt, and good rainfall. I have one field that's about 75 Acres, and it makes just shy of 120 rolls a cut. (5x6's) As far as price goes, I'd say west of Nashville, prices will be around 2500-3500 an Acre.
thanks for correcting me crowder.all i know about is this old east texas hay ground.i sure would of thought 20ac would make more than 30 rolls a cut tho.so i learned something.

Hey tncattle,
I read many of your posts before I joined. You have asked many questions to which I also found the answers helpful, partly because I am in Middle TN like you. Thank you.

Good luck with the land. I have been land shopping for over 2 years now. I don't know what land prices are like in your area, but in my county the going rate for pasture is $20,000 per acre(more in some places). As you may guess, I am in Rutherford County, the fastest growing county in the state. Anyway, I think if you can find anything at a decent price and you have the resources, buy it regardless of whether or not it will produce hay. It will probably appreciate in value fast enough to make it worth your while. Anything you make from production is just icing on the cake. Like they say, they aren't making any more of it.

God bless.

Matt S":26xvwikt said:
There is some ground in middle TN that will produce more hay than that. I cut about 12 acres one year that wasn't fertilized, and got 48 5x6 rolls off it. The hay was mostly orchardgrass and some lezpedeza. This was in the northern middle TN area.

The area west of Nashville would do well to produce 2.5 - 3 tons to the acre with fertilizer and rain.
I had an old boy cut a 7 acre spot down the road one year. Rolled it with a chain roller made 18 rolls. Put a New Holland belt Roller in the same spot, bet it wont make 6 rolls.

I have a good producing 20 acre hay meadow and i can not remember exactly but off of 2 cuttings last summer i only got i think 48 total 4 x 5 bales. Of course it was a extra dry summer.

The guy who owns the adjoining 20 next to it. Ran 10 head on it and they had it eat down to nothing by the end of October. And he had fertlized it the same time as i did mine.

I run ten head on another 20 acre meadow that i had fertlized before i put them on it in April and they had it eat down to nothing by the end of September when i moved them.

So i would guess you could expect to get about 60 bales maybe 90 on a good wet year. And probably safely run 10 maybe 12 head. Probably be stretching it to run 12.

I dont know how much if any a cow nursing a calf verses say a bred heifer would need to graze.

Now you could probably put twenty stockers 350 lbs to 400 lbs on it for the summer. I dont think you would make any money off just that small number though.

CircleC":1z3t9nun said:
Hey tncattle,
I read many of your posts before I joined. You have asked many questions to which I also found the answers helpful, partly because I am in Middle TN like you. Thank you.

Good luck with the land. I have been land shopping for over 2 years now. I don't know what land prices are like in your area, but in my county the going rate for pasture is $20,000 per acre(more in some places). As you may guess, I am in Rutherford County, the fastest growing county in the state. Anyway, I think if you can find anything at a decent price and you have the resources, buy it regardless of whether or not it will produce hay. It will probably appreciate in value fast enough to make it worth your while. Anything you make from production is just icing on the cake. Like they say, they aren't making any more of it.

God bless.

I'm glad my questions have helped someone else also. I'm sure some of my questions seem kind of dumb but hey I'm pretty dumb when it comes to cattle knowledge, still learning.

Crowderfarms":103fypbo said:
bigbull338":103fypbo said:
tncattle":103fypbo said:

Crowder, your about right on the $ with your guess per acre.

Crowderfarms":89in5m6s said:
Matt S":89in5m6s said:

I had an old boy cut a 7 acre spot down the road one year. Rolled it with a chain roller made 18 rolls. Put a New Holland belt Roller in the same spot, bet it wont make 6 rolls.

Is it better to cut and make the big rolls or the little rectangle bales? Also, about what would you charge for that hay off of 20 acres?

tncattle":r05eeoy6 said:
Crowderfarms":r05eeoy6 said:
Matt S":r05eeoy6 said:

Is it better to cut and make the big rolls or the little rectangle bales? Also, about what would you charge for that hay off of 20 acres?

If you're going to use the Hay to feed Cattle, you'll want to roll it.Square bales are too labor intensive to feed, unless you had only a few head. If you have it square baled, you better hope your help shows up to haul it in, or you could sell it in the field.Horse people prefer bales....

As far as price? Depends on the quality of the Hay and the rolls themselves (size/type grass) Hay is at a premium around these parts now.Folks are running out, or very short. Rolls that were 20.00 early on are now 35.00 +.

Trust me, you wont make the note on that 20 Acres, by marketing the Hay off it.

Crowderfarms":h2mzg2ve said:
tncattle":h2mzg2ve said:
Crowderfarms":h2mzg2ve said:
Matt S":h2mzg2ve said:

If you're going to use the Hay to feed Cattle, you'll want to roll it.Square bales are too labor intensive to feed, unless you had only a few head. If you have it square baled, you better hope your help shows up to haul it in, or you could sell it in the field.Horse people prefer bales....

As far as price? Depends on the quality of the Hay and the rolls themselves (size/type grass) Hay is at a premium around these parts now.Folks are running out, or very short. Rolls that were 20.00 early on are now 35.00 +.

Trust me, you wont make the note on that 20 Acres, by marketing the Hay off it.

I was just wondering what would be a fair price. I would never rely on hay for payment of the property.

tncattle":3mhfml0l said:

tncattle, Crowder is giving you some accurate information on hay and land prices I believe. Of course hay and land both have many variables that can affect production and price. However, he's given you good info for the information that you gave. Thirty mi. from Nashville, appreciation in land value is probably the best thing going for this property. Might as well have some fun with it while it's gaining value. JMHO

So you want to run 20 head on 20 acres as well as sell hay from the land?
To accomplish that you will need to fertilize the heck out of it probably 10-15 tons of fertilizer per year at a cost of around $320 per ton. Also pray for timely rains.

Are you willing to buy the land, the cattle, invest this much for fertilizer every year, as well as buy hay equipment?

I see from your posts that your are interested in buy yaks, buying some old cows, and expecting to make a full time living from 20 acres and have no experience at it? You seem to have all kinds of wild ideas. It's ok to post your questins but you are going overboard with Yaks.. :roll:
I would advise you to talk to your County extension agent, as has been suggested to you before.
someone needs to give you a wake up call

farmerjohn":14p32yw0 said:
So you want to run 20 head on 20 acres as well as sell hay from the land?
To accomplish that you will need to fertilize the heck out of it probably 10-15 tons of fertilizer per year at a cost of around $320 per ton. Also pray for timely rains.

Are you willing to buy the land, the cattle, invest this much for fertilizer every year, as well as buy hay equipment?

I see from your posts that your are interested in buy yaks, buying some old cows, and expecting to make a full time living from 20 acres and have no experience at it? You seem to have all kinds of wild ideas. It's ok to post your questins but you are going overboard with Yaks.. :roll:
I would advise you to talk to your County extension agent, as has been suggested to you before.
someone needs to give you a wake up call

Farmerjohn read all of my posts, I'm asking questions because this is all new to me and I'm learning about basically everything. I would not have cattle on this land for about 3 years, so I was asking about cutting hay during those 3 years. I never said I expected to make a full time living with cattle I asked if it was possible. My wild ideas as you say are questions from someone who is very green on this subject and trying to LEARN! As I've said before to others if my questions are so hard for you take then just don't respond. Good grief, it seems as some on here just want to criticize and be negative because of their infinite knowledge. Trying giving some away, you might actually like it. Also, I expected the answer about the crazy Yaks but you obviously pick and choose what you want to read.

tn...,

A lot of good advice on these boards.

Some commentaries you may wish to ignore. Don't allow it to interfere with asking questions and seeking advice in achieving your objectives. Some must be reminded that we all were the uninformed at a given time.

Buy the Land,how far off I-40?m How close to the Tennessee river? It would be a good buy for the long run....

Crowderfarms":3qbgk149 said:
tncattle":3qbgk149 said:
Crowderfarms":3qbgk149 said:
Matt S":3qbgk149 said:

I havent heard of hay that cheap in over a year. Add an extra 1 in front of that 35 and thats about what a roll goes for here (thats right, well over $100 for a roll here, and thats just coastal bermuda). We have a 20 acre hay field. We bought the land last July, and only got one cutting (the only cut of the summer), and had less than 4 rolls. Im hoping we will have more rain this year (or any rain, not a drop most of the summer last year).

If all goes well, how many rolls should we get this year. It is all coastal bermuda and will be fertilized, and if we get a decent amount of rain?

20$ pickup
25$ delivered on good fescue clover
45$ bermuda with a little stray weeds(other grass, johnson grass) these are good solid 1200 to 1500 lbs rolls... There is a big shortage of hay right now though,seems like that aways the case in late feb. I put up in the barn about 250 sq bales -55-60 lbs. Just for insurence...cow candy...at 2.50 a bale has a little johnson grass in it..thus the Horse people shy away....But I and my cows love it....