2 yr old Galloway Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

...I just sold my old squeeze to a guy about an hour away. He's starting with a small herd of Galloway he got out of Kansas I believe.
He's on my way to where my bulls are on test and he invited me to come by and check them out next time I'm headed that way.
I'm interested in seeing some in person. And if they'll survive the heat down here.

branguscowgirl":hezposxc said:
Beautiful Bull! Just curious, What do you feed him, and how much? Have you always fed him by wt?

Thanks, he is on free choice slough grass hay and 20 lbs as fed sugar beet tailings. Tailings are about 50-60 % water. During the summer he gets grass when he is breeding cows. When we have shown him he gets around 1.5 - 2% of his body weight of a high roughage custom show feed. The show feed has DDG, oats, cotton seed hulls, and cracked corn.

Galloway2":1a0ulrli said:
Current pic of Moto Moto.

His calves are averaging 74 lbs out of first, second, and third calvers.

Moto_Moto_03-24-14.jpg

He's a tank. Looks good.

fitz

Galloway2":2l5foapp said:
townfarmer":2l5foapp said:
That's a seriously wide base on that bull.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew

His sire is available in Australia via AI.

I've never seen a Galloway in this country that looks anything like your bull. I'm not saying they don't exist but all the ones I've seen are cute and fluffy and marketed for small acreage.

Andrew

townfarmer":1a6ne9i2 said:
Galloway2":1a6ne9i2 said:
townfarmer":1a6ne9i2 said:
That's a seriously wide base on that bull.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew

His sire is available in Australia via AI.

I've never seen a Galloway in this country that looks anything like your bull. I'm not saying they don't exist but all the ones I've seen are cute and fluffy and marketed for small acreage.

Andrew

Unfortunately that happens in all countries. It is a stereotype we are trying to get over. With bulls like Pericles and Moto Moto, we are making headway into the commercial cattle industry. There are more good Galloways out there, but more of the type you mentioned.

Harley

Unfortunately that happens in all countries. It is a stereotype we are trying to get over. With bulls like Pericles and Moto Moto, we are making headway into the commercial cattle industry. There are more good Galloways out there, but more of the type you mentioned.

Harley[/quote]

All the best with promoting the Galloway breed as a viable commercial option. What attributes do you see the Galloway genetics offering the commercial cattleman that mainstream breeds like Angus and hereford can't already give them?

Andrew

townfarmer":seiwfhop said:

Harley

All the best with promoting the Galloway breed as a viable commercial option. What attributes do you see the Galloway genetics offering the commercial cattleman that mainstream breeds like Angus and hereford can't already give them?

Andrew[/quote]
Hybrid vigor, muscle, thickness, and hair :cowboy:

Cross breeder #1":2tdfo6vi said:
townfarmer":2tdfo6vi said:

Harley

Andrew
Hybrid vigor, muscle, thickness, and hair :cowboy:[/quote]

better foraging ability, well marbled carcasses with less trim, overall hardiness, more live calves at weaning, and as cross breeder #1 said HETEROSIS. Galloways are a true full blood so you get hybrid vigor on all crosses.

Apologies for my slow responses to your posts. You mentioned traits like foraging and hardiness. Do you market Galloway cattle specifically to producers working with "tough country" with poor pasture, heavily wooded, steep etc?

Andrew

townfarmer":37yap2kx said:
Apologies for my slow responses to your posts. You mentioned traits like foraging and hardiness. Do you market Galloway cattle specifically to producers working with "tough country" with poor pasture, heavily wooded, steep etc?

Andrew

We selling breeding stock to all areas of the US and Canada. Plains, Mountains, Deserts, Swamps, Galloways adapt and graze wherever there is feed. We have pictures of Galloways picking at sagebrush and thistles, and 30 minutes later are in irrigation canal eating moss and seaweed.

Our Galloways forage through 2 ft deep snow most winters.

How much does his dam weigh? Paternal Grand-dam? With all of his extreme capacity I begin to wonder just how much a frame 4-5 cow ends up weighing. Then again if I had a large field full of those..... I wouldn't care 'cause they'd probably wean a high percent of body weight no matter how much they weigh.

Cross breeder #1":2ed7qnh8 said:
How much does his dam weigh? Paternal Grand-dam? With all of his extreme capacity I begin to wonder just how much a frame 4-5 cow ends up weighing. Then again if I had a large field full of those..... I wouldn't care 'cause they'd probably wean a high percent of body weight no matter how much they weigh.

His dam weighs in around 1100-1200 in running condition. Paternal Granddam was a 1300 lb cow. His sire weighed 2,600 and was a frame 5.5. Many of his paternal sisters have weaned 65% of their body weight.

Latest posts