2 year old chicken manure

Help Support CattleToday:

llucy69

Reaction score
We've got a neighbor who wants to sell us 2 year old chicken manure to put on the pasture. It has absolutely no smell left, which is nice, but will it do the job? Any thoughts would be helpful.....he's asking 150.00 a spreader truck full and will put it out for us...

We put on 1700 lbs per acre at a price of 50 bucks an acre. Just a gut feeling but the price sounds pretty high to me. An analysis of it might help to give you an idea of what your'e actualy paying for.

Get an analysis. Most labs nowadays have test that include dollar value of nutrients in compost and manure by the ton based on current, local fertilizer prices. I have a 185 bushel spreader that usually holds anywhere from 6 to 10 tons of dry matter based on the density of material I am spreading. My last product I spread was composted horse manure, I spread about 8.5 tons per acre as is, was .69 dry matter. Each ton as is came back at around $20 per ton crop nutrient value, as is. So you would need to find out how many tons he hauls at a time, and get a dollar value test. If he spreads it then it may be worth it, if you have to spread it, then it may be too expensive. In my case I did a lot of spreading, If I had to pay for it then I would have bought fertilizer.

dun":3eejkd58 said:
We put on 1700 lbs per acre at a price of 50 bucks an acre. Just a gut feeling but the price sounds pretty high to me. An analysis of it might help to give you an idea of what your'e actualy paying for.
How did ya come up with that price Dun? I was thinkin' that sounds kinda pricey?

hayray":3c11ok21 said:
dun":3c11ok21 said:
How did ya come up with that price Dun? I was thinkin' that sounds kinda pricey?
Divided the cost of having it hauled in and the cost of having it spread by the number of acres. It was about 1/3 the cost of having commercail fertilizer, so far it has really gotten the grass looking good.

lot of unknow information.

where has this stuff been for the last two years?
stacked outside?
still in the house?
stacked under cover?
two years of weather would have probably leached a lot of the nutrients out. Not all but some.
An analysis is the place to start.
you will then know what you have and then you can determine if it is worth anything.

It will be worth something as simple organic matter but the nutrient content is a total unknown now.

pdfangus":2jf4nvob said:
lot of unknow information.

where has this stuff been for the last two years?
stacked outside?
still in the house?
stacked under cover?
two years of weather would have probably leached a lot of the nutrients out. Not all but some.
An analysis is the place to start.
you will then know what you have and then you can determine if it is worth anything.

It will be worth something as simple organic matter but the nutrient content is a total unknown now.
I've got 60 tons of broiler litter on the way and "organic matter" was the primary reason for using it. I figured (based on last years NPK price) that it was worth around $60 acre assuming 30-30-30/ton. But, I have many places where the topsoil is poor and there is rock that resembles sandstone in texture the rest of the way down. In this case $30/ton spread is about all I could come up with.

I don't know much about chicken manure, more knowledge on the cattle manure side. However, I would imagine that over 2 years the nitrogen would be pretty much gone. You would be getting some P & K along with the organic matter. $150 sounds like a lot of money even if it is one of those big spreader trucks.

Is the litter from a broiler house or a layer house. If it was a broiler house how many flocks were produced on those shavings?

Latest posts