2 year old bull in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Yup - you read that right.

I have 5 2 year old bulls in with my dozen yearlings. Been that way for a month. The other day, a two year old "came in heat" and the yearlings were all over him. Chasing him all over the field. Fighting each other for the right to mount him. I figured maybe there was a heifer in heat somewhere and I'd give it a day or two to settle down. Day 2, day 3, same story. No one was eating. The heat was climbing and eventually I had to separate the 2 year olds before someone died of exhaustion. All is right with the world again.

Don't know if it's still true, but years ago AI studs would identify which bulls would tolerate being mounted and
keep them as mount animals for semen collection as they were much more rugged than cows.

Son of Butch":ubwdqtdw said:
Don't know if it's still true, but years ago AI studs would identify which bulls would tolerate being mounted and
keep them as mount animals for semen collection as they were much more rugged than cows.

They still use "teaser steers" to stimulate the bulls before they are collected.

Son of Butch":3aimisez said:

This ol chap wanted nothing to do with it but just couldn't shake the young bulls. Had to be something hormonal in the older bull though to have it just show up one day and become such and obsession with that many of the younger bulls...

angus9259":agwfxf6i said:
Son of Butch":agwfxf6i said:

This ol chap wanted nothing to do with it but just couldn't shake the young bulls. Had to be something hormonal in the older bull though to have it just show up one day and become such and obsession with that many of the younger bulls...

I thought it was a 2 year old "in heat". So this was an older bill?

JMJ Farms":1nmd0r34 said:
angus9259":1nmd0r34 said:
Son of Butch":1nmd0r34 said:

I thought it was a 2 year old "in heat". So this was an older bull?

Ok. I didn't mean anything by it. I was just confused by the other post where you said "older bull". I have seen older bulls try to mount younger bulls but never vice versa. Animals in general exhibit odd behavior sometimes. Just when I think I've got something figured out they prove me wrong.

Lily-Haven was the registered name of a bull Select Sires used as a teaser after he fell out of the lineup.
Back then they weren't as politically correct and instead of teaser bull referred to him as a Sweet-Azz bull.
And Lily for short. Raven is correct about steers being used.

There was a study years ago and bulls that were chased and ridden by other bulls had a low grade infection and emitted an odd odor was the idea. Treated with antibiotics and the riding stopped. I do not have the reference as it was a long time ago. Or if I had it I would not know where to look.

Ebenezer":23c8y1j4 said:
There was a study years ago and bulls that were chased and ridden by other bulls had a low grade infection and emitted an odd odor was the idea. Treated with antibiotics and the riding stopped. I do not have the reference as it was a long time ago. Or if I had it I would not know where to look.

That was before society deemed it ok to be a fudge packer. :lol:

Latest posts