2 week old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a 2 week old calf that I notice this evening had the scours. It is grayish looking and is the first time noticing it was today. Should I be alarmed or is anything I need to do now.?

I have some pig scour halt and I have some large bolus capsules (would have to drench these). Which would be best? What would I do to keep from being dehydrated? They have plenty water.

I am not sure as to the pig scour halt and the cow bolus' are usually aspirin type and not great for calves. Calf bolus' are the best thing to use. I will let someone with much more knowledge then me answer that question. As for the hydration, as long as he has the water in front of him he will be fine.

Ok, I looked and what I have is Ruemen yeast caps for dairy cattle. They are as large as your thumb so I would have to drench these if they would work. What is your advice? If ok would I use all of it or just part of it?

I have no idea what Ruemen yeast caps are and I'm not familiar with dairy cattle. But I wouldn't give anything questionable to a calf with scours (or any animal) without first consulting a vet. If you do not have Sustain or electrolytes, M-5's suggestion of Pepto-Bismol will help for the scours and Gatorade in place of electrolytes.

Pepto Bismal/Pink Bismuth, is appropriate.

Scour-halt is good.

BUT------------ one needs to know WHAT is causing the scours in order to treat them effectively.

Is is scours from too much milk? Is it bacterial in nature? E-coli? Coccicidia? Take a fecal sample to your vet, any vet's office, and have them identify what organism (if any) is causing the problem, then you'll have a better idea, as to which direction to go with regard to treatment.

Did fecal. Came back no parasites. She has a virus, my vet said to give an antibiotic and she should be fine. About 4ml of LA 200 is what I have. Will give tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I will also give a little Pepto Bisma pink tomorrow.

Thanks TC,
I hope things change for you too. I have been following your trail of tears with all the weird stuff going on, I can really relate to that. I have lost so many calves probably because of my not knowing what to do. I have raised a lot of bottle calves and lost more than I raised. I had one little bull that I got up at 4 am every morning and bottle fed and then got ready for a 10 hour day job. Came in at night and fed again. This went on for about 3 months before I good get him on solid food eating on his own. He was 5 months old and a picture of health. I was working on a water line in the pen he was raised in and he came in to see what I was doing. Flies were bad and all over him so I got my Tractor Supply spray out that I had been using since he was little, tried to spray but bottle was about empty, maybe an ounce in it so I unscrewed the sprayer and poured it from neck down his back. He walked back out to pasture and He was dead in 10 minutes. I cried, it hurt so bad, how could I be so stupid. My vet said it went to his nervous system. Also he said if I had sprayed it on, it wouldn't have bothered him. The label on jug said ready to use, just pour on. I think it meant pour on the cattle rub for their back. This is only one stupid thing I done I have more but won't trouble you with them. My problems most of them I caused but in your case it appears to be things that just jump out at you when you don't see it coming. Praying things will change for you.

We have lost so many calves. Most I look back and say if I had done this, it would have been different. For example, I once let a calf on one side of the creek,when her mom was on the other side. Calf got stuck in the mud trying to cross, and was stomped to the ground as a whole herd ran over him and killed him. Best thing is to learn from it and move on.

Latest posts