2 week old calf with nose bleed

Help Support CattleToday:

donnaIL

Reaction score
Calf born 2 wks ago, cow had it in timber area of pasture, from afar everything looked okay. The cow is a protective mother who will try to run over anything that get near the calf. After a couple days with cow and calf not running around, I suspect everything is not okay. After close observation we realize that the calf if under the bag bumping it but not actually finding the teat, my husband tries without success to put the calf on teat. The cow has a huge bag and a couple of teats are too big and this doesn't help matters. (BTW this cow had a sick calf last year and this will be the last calf she has!)

We manage to seperate calf from cow, put calf in barn (cow can see calf through cattle panels) and bottle feed, per weight tape calf weighs 75lbs. We have had see--saw tempatures her ....freezing one day, 70 the next for the last 2 wks. Calf has snot in nose. I contact vet and pick up and give the calf a draxxin shot & vitamen shots (last friday). Calf bottle feeds fine drinks 1 gallon of milk 2x per day, does not have much of a temp 103-104 after a couple days calf is stronger and I figure will give calf and cow another try.
Calf has had a skinned nose in 3 different places in the last week, I don't know what is happening, the cow protects the calf from other cattle so I dont think it is being picked on.

Today when I start feeding bottle, blood some blood comes out of one nostril...not alot, its kind of mucousy(spelling?)...it stops, I start feeding second bottle more blood comes out of one nostril then stops. The calf is always still hungry after both bottles and then goes and tries to nurse...today, finally! she finds the teat and nurses. Stool is loose but no scours, does have a dirty behind.. Called the vet and they say it could be many things (there was mention of possible clef pallet), they can't see the calf until after hours. The calf seems okay otherwise, she's not running and bucking around but she isn't weezing, coughing or anything else.

I really hate to seperate the cow and calf, especially since calf is finally nursing. Also the cow is still dangerous (this is normal for her the first several weeks after calving --another reason she is going to town), she actually put her nose through the coral panel when I was bottle feeding and tried to bite me, I reached for the calfs nose and she pinned my arm to the panel. So to have the vet examine the calf we will have to seperate it, which means waiting for the right moment.

I'm really not overly concerned, since the calf seems normal. I've already spent money on medication, milk replacer and electrolytes, an after hours call will be $50...so I was going to check out the situation tonight and then decide what to do. Any opinions? Also is she had a clef pallet wouldn't she suck funny?

Sorry so long and Thanks,
donna

First off, this calf sounds like it didn't get colostrum, so I would be watching it VERY closely for sickness.

The skinned nose is most likely from a high fever. The nose will peel a few days after a calf/cow has a fever.

Can't help with the nose bleed, could just be something minor, or it could be serious.

A calf with a cleft palate will suck funny, and you may notice milk running out of it's nose. Open her mouth up and check the roof of his mouth, you should be able to notice if there is a hole in it.

Thanks Randi, I'm on my way to check on her. Had a calf thats nose peeled last year (this ones brother from last year), this doesn't look like the one last year. I'm hoping that the heifer is just rubbing and irritating the nose and that there is no more blood. She sucks the bottle fine, so much that the nipple and bottle collapses..but I'm gonna take a look in her mouth. Thanks again.

Alot of times a new bottle calf will get a chapped and peeling nose from the nipple rubbing the nose. It usually takes a few days to peel off and heal and then it's fine. Sometimes they bleed a fair amount. If the blood is from the skinned areas, I would not be concerned. If the blood is actually from the nostril, I would be more concerned. I would follow the Vet's advice.

Its not a cleft palate. Presence of blood does not indicate a cleft, it is a malformation, not an injury and there would be other, more significant symptoms (as you mentioned, sucking properly would only be one of them, calves with a cleft cannot produce suction). I would not seperate the calf from the cow. I would also cut back on the milk replacer to encourage nursing from the cow ~ keeping a close eye on it. I cannot guess what the blood might be from. Is very possible it got kicked or bumped by momma, even accidently. If the only concern you have at this time is bloody nose, I would say wait and watch.

I agree with Randi the peeling of the nose is indicative of a fever,

Did you check the cows teats to ensure that she in fact does have milk and does not have mastitis. I would do that first and then it they are good do as Angie suggests and encourage the calf to drink from mom..

Good luck and keep us updated..

Thanks everyone.
To clarify...the nose is not peeling (at least i dont think so) the calf has a black nose and it is like it is raw, like it was torn..I checked the calfs mouth and there is nothing wrong with it, she actually put up a good fight. She was not waiting for her bottles and seemed quite content. Also cow/calf seemed quite content tonight and it looked like she had sucked down the udder of mom pretty good. I was worried about the cow drying up as its been 2 weeks (calf born on Feb20) but maybe the constant attempt at nursing stimulated milk...as the cow leaked and dripped alot. I am not seperating them and will check in the morning to see if calf is okay. She was either full or sick tonight...I'm guessing full and hope thats the case! We don't live on our farm so its time consuming to do this bottle feeding. So I'm waiting and watching. Here a picture of her in the timber 2 days old with mom. Shes our first Rito Calf...were calling her Rita, but not keeping any of the calves this year.

014.jpg

donnaIL":vnasfyql said:
Thanks everyone.
To clarify...the nose is not peeling (at least i dont think so) the calf has a black nose and it is like it is raw, like it was torn..I checked the calfs mouth and there is nothing wrong with it, she actually put up a good fight. She was not waiting for her bottles and seemed quite content. Also cow/calf seemed quite content tonight and it looked like she had sucked down the udder of mom pretty good. I was worried about the cow drying up as its been 2 weeks (calf born on Feb20) but maybe the constant attempt at nursing stimulated milk...as the cow leaked and dripped alot. I am not seperating them and will check in the morning to see if calf is okay. She was either full or sick tonight...I'm guessing full and hope thats the case! We don't live on our farm so its time consuming to do this bottle feeding. So I'm waiting and watching. Here a picture of her in the timber 2 days old with mom. Shes our first Rito Calf...were calling her Rita, but not keeping any of the calves this year.

014.jpg

Judging from the track record of this cow I would say she is a PI cow and is putting PI calves on the ground. I had a cow that had a bloody nose once and was snorting alot. Got her in the chute and took a look. Stuck some needle nose pliers in her nose and pulled out a stick as long as my index finger. After that the nose stopped bleeding and she stopped snorting. I know that has nothing to do with this but found it interesting all the same.

I had a cow that had a bloody nose once and was snorting alot. Got her in the chute and took a look. Stuck some needle nose pliers in her nose and pulled out a stick as long as my index finger.

Cows with summer cattarh do that. Yours wouldn't have had cattarh because the bleeding/snorting stopped, but I've got a few chronic ones and any time they get a bit extra snuffly I check for sticks - they force them up there to try and scratch the irritation.
I searched this board for it a while back, and didn't turn up anything so I don't think you see it in the US - or it has a different name, if so. (viral infection, I think)

I've never seen a bottle calf with a skinned/peeled nose. Bucket fed calves yes - because they stick their noses in the milk. Molasses again - seems to be quite acidic, causes red blotches on the muzzle. Is it possible that the calf is getting bunted into a fence/hedge?

I think Randi is probably right, this calf probably got the short end of the passive transfer deal . Temp of 103- 104 is too high and that's on the end of Draxin arguably the best antibiotic for calves on the market, my next choice in calves that size is A180 . I think I would vaccinate him with Onset IN, followed by 2 rounds of Bovi-Shield 5 Gold 14 days apart . Nutrition will play a big part in all of this, if he doesn't get enough milk from the cow for whatever reason, it will be a death sentence .

Larry

You said you've had freezing temperatures, so are you sure it did'nt get frost bite on it's nose. That will make it bleed and peel esp. when taking the bottle. Nostrils will stay bright red for a while. Heck of a nice calf tho.

angie":s5t0duxa said:
If the only concern you have at this time is bloody nose, I would say wait and watch.

Update: I never saw a calf with bloody nose so I took your advise and watched. Yesterday am..it looks like the calf's nose has now peeled. When I arrived it was not bawling or waiting for a bottle, it did however drink one, not with the same enthusiasm as before, so I assume the cow has milk. Last evening, again no bawling, witnessed her nursing, and she even ran about alittle, ears were perky and she was interacting with other calves. I'm more optimist now and realize there could be a relapse but hoping not.