2 week old calf angus seizures

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Good afternoon all! I am new to these boards, but not new to cattle farming. Have a holstein/Angus mix calf, (Mom had blocked udders thus not feeding calf)

Have been bottle raising, usual amount of milk replacer (1 qt. x 2 a day) but calf has had at least 5 grand mal seizures. Head goes back, legs stiff, slight bloat etc.....before being bottle fed.

Vet gave Thiamine and vitamins. Today she had a bad one, and vet tried Phenobarbital.

We can't find any information on calf seizures/ convulsions.

We are trying to rule out everything.
Fly spray?
Milk Replacer?
Distemper?

Have anybody ever heard of this? She seems very hungry, started eating a bit of calf mix grain. Wants water.

I am afraid she might not make it, but there she goes hopping around, and kicking sometimes.

mae.jpg

calf.jpg

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, or experience for this type of bovine concern.

ETA: After reading through some of the posts, I know you all obviously see me as a "newbie" ~ I am not sure what to do with this heifer, but just trying to find any help from anybody that might have had this. Thanks again for your thoughts and insights.

We had a calf once that did the same thing. Any time you went out to bottle feed it it would have a seizure. We ended up putting it down as the seizures were getting worse as the calf got older. I think it was about 2-3 weeks old when we decided that it was not going to get over it. Calf was blind as well. I think you have likely done as much for this calf as you can.

Ok, I have just been throwing myself into these threads, and finding out all kinds of information.

Let me give you a bit of history, maybe this will help me, the calf, and understanding.

This is my fathers farm. He is 89 years old, and has been doing black angus beef farming for about 60 years.

He is stubborn when it comes to doing something outside the "book".

In this case, he makes it clear that this calf should only be given 4 pints of milk replacer 2 times a day. (8 oz. dry milk replacer to 4 pints water)

No water, he is afraid the calf will get gassed up, thus causing bloat.

Calf seems very weak before feeding, stumbles around, falls down, arches head way back, stiffens up like getting ready to expire. I jump in pen, pull calf upright, place bottle in between teeth and tongue, and eventually she will start to suck like all day lights.

She is getting bigger, so it gets harder to do this, pulling her up, when she is stiff, or limp.

Vet comes gives her antibiotics, had fever 104 last Friday, and thiamine.

No fever today, just stiffness, head back, teeth clenched, hardly breathing.

Got bottle in mouth. drank, and then ate some calf mix grain.

I gave her water, and she readily drank the water from a bucket. She eats well, never has stopped eating.

Ok, so why did I write this? I am wondering if she wasn't getting enough to eat? /drink. I wonder if I caused this by following my fathers advice, (he is a good person, just set in his ways)

I am 50ish year old women, who has been around and helped raise these animals for many years. First one I have ever seen like this.

I don't want to discount what my dad says, afterall it is his farm, but I also want to do the right thing by the animal.

Please don't think I am being mean to dad, or calf, I just want to get help and find the right way to help this dear animal.

Thank you, and please yell at me all you want, I just want to save her.

randiliana":2ikkubog said:
We had a calf once that did the same thing. Any time you went out to bottle feed it it would have a seizure. We ended up putting it down as the seizures were getting worse as the calf got older. I think it was about 2-3 weeks old when we decided that it was not going to get over it. Calf was blind as well. I think you have likely done as much for this calf as you can.

Thanks so much for your reply, randiliana. I appreciate it. It is strange, same way, go to give bottle, she gets real excited, falls down and starts.

I asked vet if we should put her down, but he said she isn't suffering yet, and wants to see what happens over the next few days.

Thank you very much. ~Andi

Last year we had a orphaned Black Angus calf.

When he was still small he got an extra bottle about mid day if he was up and hungry.

After he was done if he's still hungry put water in the bottle and give it to him. It will taste a little like milk so he should accept it.

Free choice water is a must. Also if there's no grass, you might put in some hay.

Not sure about the seizures, but good luck.

CPL":1tmhmx0s said:
Last year we had a orphaned Black Angus calf.

When he was still small he got an extra bottle about mid day if he was up and hungry.

After he was done if he's still hungry put water in the bottle and give it to him. It will taste a little like milk so he should accept it.

Free choice water is a must. Also if there's no grass, you might put in some hay.

Not sure about the seizures, but good luck.

Hey, CPL~ thanks! She is a big girl now. Probably about 80-90 lbs, hard to tell, when she is limp, or stiff, she feels like our steers at 800 lbs. :D

I gave her water, and she readily drank from the bucket on her own. She also discovered the salt lick today. She ate a bit of nice hay too. By all standards, a good, fine looking calf. Leggy though.

Do you all spray for flies on the youngsters?

Well, I would be giving her free access to water for sure. She will need it. We were giving our calves 3, 4 pint bottles/day, but really it is personal choice, and depends on the calf as well. As for the seizures, go with your vet, after all he is there and can see what is going on. Just don't completely put out of your mind that you may need to put the calf down in the end. It may get quite expensive to keep this one going.

We give our calves all a shot of Injectable Ivomec, which also keeps the flies off for a while.

Thank you so much again, I will make sure she has her water. The injectable fly deterant certainly seems like another really beyond worthy investment too.

Boy, I am amazed at all the stories on here. I guess our calf mortality rate isn't so bad, after all.

We do have pink eye problems~just recent. Trying to talk Dad into obtaining one of the mineral containers with fly repellent. We do however, cut our pasture grass very regularly.

Here's hoping I can get this youngin' to grow up, but I do keep in my mind that no matter what I do, or how dedicated I am, she might pass to the great beyond.

Thank you all so much for your time.

My guess on your calf is meningitis. Those seizures are nasty to watch. Quite often the eyes will start clouding as well and the calf will go blind. It is a pus covering the eye ball. If it is bacterial meningitis the death rate is 100%. Here is some information on it.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 101600.htm

We had one this happened to. He appeared fine at birth a few days later he seemed weak and was having a hard time getting up. Then the seizures started. Had the vet out and he was just put down when we found out it was meningitis. Phone your vet and ask him what he thinks about meningitis being the cause. As was mentioned he is the one that is there and it is hard to diagnose over the internet but might as well run it by him.
If it is meningitis it does not mean all your calves are in danger. When we had it there was only one calf in the entire year (our only one ever for that matter) and they all calved in the same place. I hope that is not it but it is the first thing I think of when I hear about those seizures. :(
Let us know what happens.

Victoria...I appreciate your thoughtful, insightful information. I did read the abstract in Merek Vet~and see that infact she does bear some of those unfortunate symptoms.

Today was the first full day on Phenobarbital 1 gram. She has had two doses. This morning, no seizure, no falling down, nothing except she rammed herself right into my behind. (I am sure a very opportunist "Feed ME!" ram.) Jumping up and down, kicking, running, all of it. Has obviously gained lots of weight for her age.

Called Vet, hasn't called me back yet. Left message.

I cannot tell you how much you all have helped me with trying to find an answer. Your right, you can't have people on the internet diagnose a bovine, or any animal for that matter.

But what you all did, was give me your experiences' which in turn does help me, the Vet, and the animal try to discover how to make her better, or end a potential suffering.

I hope I can help somebody like this, someday too.

My best to all, ~Andi

Andi-

Sorry to hear of your situation. I don't know if this is relevant but I'll tell the story anyway. My wife has shown Alaskan Malamutes for over 20 years. In that time she's had 2 bitches that suffered from Grand mal seizures. It's certainly a terrible thing to see.

Neither started having them till they were about 5 years old. I can't remember what the vet called it, but it was some kind of genetic defect. Yes, they were related, but fairly distantly. We were able to control them for a couple of years with Phenobarbitol, but they developed some sort of immunity to it. It got to the point where we had to drug them to the point of being zombies and they'd still have a seizure once in awhile.

At that point it was best to put them down so that's what we did. Maybe should have done it sooner. They were beautiful dogs in their prime and my wife was heartbroken. Anyway, I know there's really no point to this except I sort of know what you're going through. I can't offer any advice for you, but I wish you luck.

Good news that there is no seizures today.:) Hope it continues and I really hope that it isn't meningitis. You sound like a great addition to the cattle industry Andi. Someone who puts effort into caring for their cattle. I have no doubt that you will be helping people in the future. Continue to update us.

Hi all :D

Things are great with the calf! I am surprised as you all. No evidence so far of seizures/convulsions.

Just thought I would let you all know. She is eating well, her grain, bottles, water etc, salt lick..........

Running and kicking up heals.

So far so good.

4 weeks old.

Thanks again for your support and thoughts!

~Andi

great, I hope the health streak continues.

I dont know 100%, but I think, pretty sure, a combination of heat and dehydration can cause siezures. Did he siezures top pretty close to win you gave free choice water or a noticible temperature drop. I couldnt imagine not offering free choice water to any animal.

I have bottled alot of calves in my time. Lost a few also. Every once in a great while you get one that is like yours. Sometimes if you don't feed them right on schedule they will seize. I've been told it is because their blood sugar drops. Get it started on some kind of solid feed, along with the bottle, as soon as possible and always make sure you feed at the same time every day. You may have to teach it to eat the feed. Its important the calf has something in its stomach all the time. The good news is that they outgrow this condition, if you can hold out a little bit longer. Best of luck to you.

Hi Needmore! Thanks for you wonderful reply. Now at 4 weeks, (knock on wood) she has not had a seizure, (that I have witnessed). I have been checking in on her about every 4 hours, and don't let her go without food. That is a good idea you had.
I have given her calf grain, (a good quality one from Southern States) and have to mix it with a small amount of molasses because she is a bit spoiled at this point. :shock: Can't imagine how that happened. ;-)

Thanks again for your kind response. I will keep letting you all know, because apparently not a lot of calves have this?
~Andi

I've had cattle for nearly 20 years, and raised a lot of bottle calves. I can't recall ever having any that had seizures, but I'm sure it's possible.

Glad to hear no seizures for four weeks now! Sounds like it may have been a temporarly thing... great!

Latest posts