2 time loser

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
bro was out checking the cows.an found a cow that calved.looked for her calf an found a set of dead twin bull calves.this is her 2nd try an she lost calves both times.so he is gonna put a calf on her if he can.if she was mine she would be culled.but she isnt.

Why are you so sure it was her fault? You don't mention anything about the circumstances regarding her previous loss of calf(calves), and twins are a special situation that usually requires intervention.

At our place it is one miss and you get a trip to town...no excuses! No cow is good enough that there isn't a better one down the road. Might sound kind of harsh but if you follow this practice you will soon find you are breeding a cowherd that can get the job done.

Had the same thing happen. Last year her calf died at 10 days old. This year it only made it 3 days. Makes you wonder what's going on--both were full term, perfectly normal (looking) calves.

But, I'm sure she made some excellent burgers.

she had the calves on her own.dont know if they was still born or not.but around here its real yunusual for the same cow to loose 3 calves in a row.i almost culled a cow for loosing a calf at 2wks old.but ill try her again.i have another 2 time looser i need to cull.she breeds an calves good.but she dont appear to have much milk.an her calves grow slow.

bigbull338":1s4pi5uy said:
she had the calves on her own.dont know if they was still born or not.but around here its real yunusual for the same cow to loose 3 calves in a row.i almost culled a cow for loosing a calf at 2wks old.but ill try her again.i have another 2 time looser i need to cull.she breeds an calves good.but she dont appear to have much milk.an her calves grow slow.

Right now is darn hard to make a decision which way to go. The market sucks but who knows if it will improve for cull cows later on. If you have the grass I'ld wait and hope that the market improves but as soon as it turned around she would grow wheels

we have the grass an hay so keeping her is no prob.she belongs to my bro an he dont have the sense to sale cows when its time.but if she was mine she would be gone as soon as she was penned.

Latest posts