2 Steers and a Heifer.. PICS

Help Support CattleToday:

showmom33

Reaction score
This is one of the steers that we will be showing this year. A Heatwave calf. He was born in late October. He weighed 585 two weeks ago.
DSC_0631.jpg

This is the other steer. An Alias. He was born late September. He weighed 633.
DSC_0616.jpg

This is an appendix shorthorn heifer. Proud Jazz. She was born October 28. She weighed 614.
DSC_0624-1.jpg

What do you think of them? They have not been clipped or fitted, just washed and blown dry.

A

Anonymous

That's not a Shorthorn- it's a blue roan cross bred.
Shorthorns don't come in that colour.

Cowboy 2.0

Reaction score
Killala":jjtorvz1 said:
That's not a Shorthorn- it's a blue roan cross bred.
Shorthorns don't come in that colour.

Maybe not in kangaroo land, but over here they do. Appendix meaning a low pecentage animal. Not trying to pass the off as purebred.

OP
S

showmom33

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. The blue roan is 1/2 shorthorn according to her registration papers. Guess things are a little different on this side of the pond :D I can definitely understand the confusion. We have always shown Simmental heifers. This is our first round with steers and other breeds.

KNERSIE

Reaction score
The first steer looks good, is he pure holstein or is there some beef blood mixed in?

The second steer is very short hipped.

The heifer is a very good type and will make a fine cow after her showing days are over, from my experience heifers of her body type tends to fatten very easily so beware not to overcondition her. I don't think she'll be the growthiest of calves so even more reason to keep a close eye on how much condition she puts on as once the lumps are there its very hard to get rid of.

hillsdown

Reaction score
What is that first calf ? Is he simmi x maine ? I think that heatwave is a Maine Anjou/Club Calf Bull..

He is very flashy looking.. :)

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
Not bad calves. I pretty agree with Knersie on the comments.
The first calf looks like he'll big, little harder doing, and bigger framed. Sorry, Knersie, I knew he was a crossbred. :)
The second steer is I like better, but his hip is too short and his tailhead is messed up. Nice bone.
The shorthorn plus heifer is okay. Her hip is a little off too, but has nice neck extension. Do watch how fat she gets.

OP
S

showmom33

Reaction score
Thanks all for comments. We have never shown crossbred cattle or steers, so this is our first go around. I will update these after our first show (May 30th)!

grand chaser09

Reaction score
all 3 are very nice. your heat wave i'd like to see a touch deeper with all that length. but other than that you've got some hard to beat calves

Latest posts