2 quick questions

Help Support CattleToday:

txffamom

Reaction score
1. What can we safely do to help control flies on a cow that is 2 weeks from her due date (I expect calf will be earlier than that, as we have seen a small amount of discharge the last couple of days)?

2. How long after calving can we worm her? Or can we worm her now?

Thanks for the help.

You could pour her with BOSS. That will ahve pretty much an imediate affect. Then you need to look at your regular fly control regimen. Sanitation, pasture rotation, inclusion of IGR, rubs/mops, etc.

Thank you, dun.

She missed the works last weekend with what the vet thinks is a femur fracture, but she really needs some help with the flies now that she is the only one who hasn't been treated.

if she's nice enough, I'd spray and rub her down with Absorbine Ultrashield, available from most horse places.. lasts a long time and works well, it's a pyrethrin/permethrin, and I don't remember seeing any cautions for pregnant animals. Lasts a fair while too and works against lice as well

Thank you, Nesikep.

I have a 10% permethrin that you mix 19:1 with water and spray on that we normally use. I just wasn't real sure about it being 10%, and the label doesn't mention lactating or dairy cows.

"lactating cows" is only a concern if the milk is to be used for human consumption.
There's only two products on the market here that can be used on dairy cows & I think one is a permethrin. Google might tell you more, the trade names are ripcord and blaze (I used both last summer & wasn't impressed with either).