2 questions for everyone

Help Support CattleToday:

Carrie

Reaction score
Once again I find myself coming to you all for advice!

1. Anyone ever had problems with squirrels chewing holes in hard plastic water tanks? Never had this problem in the years (going on 11 now) that we've had cattle, but 6 months ago something began chewing the heck out of 2 of our tanks. Thought it must have been rats - you could see the gnaw mark around the holes - but several weeks ago my husband actually saw a squirrel perched on the lip of the tank chewing to beat the band. These tanks are in a wooded area, quite a ways from the barn and house. We've set several traps, to no avail. Any Ideas for making the tanks less palatable?

2. We patched the holes with "Bondo" (a fiberglass product used for car dents, scrapes etc.) then read the warning on the label that said it shouldn't be used for human or animal comsumption since one of the chemicals (styrene monomer) is "know in the state of California to be a potential carcinogen" (does this mean if you live in Indiana you don't need to worry?) Serriously, has anyone used something like this to repair their cattle tanks? Did your cattle all abort and develope cancer?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you may have. CT is a great resource.

Carrie

I for one would not eat the Bondo, I believe once it hardens the hazard from the chemical will be gone.

Now there's a new one! If your tanks are in/near the woods, there is probably an endless supply of long-tailed rats to come chew on your tanks. So trapping or killing them all might not be possible. But then again maybe there is just one "family" of squirrels that has taken up this weird habit and you could get them all. (Want syrup with that waffle?)

They make "bitter apple" products to deter dogs and parrots and such from chewing, maybe it would work on the squirrels? As long as it's applied above waterline, to not give your cows water a bitter flavor.

I wouldn't worry about the bondo. It's above the waterline, right? Even if not, it should be stable once it's dry.

The only sure fire solution I can think of is to replace the plastic tanks with metal ones.

I think California puts a warning label on everything. I wouln't pay them any attention. They are ....... well..... different.

Carrie":1cvsznzf said:
Serriously, has anyone used something like this to repair their cattle tanks?
Yes

Did your cattle all abort and develope cancer?
No

Carrie
I have no idea what to tell you about the squirrels, that is for sure an odd behavior.
Are they using your tanks as a water source?

Don't know how common it is in Indiana but around my part of Texas you can't store anything in plastic containers without the squirrels eating through. They ruined a brand new deer feeder of mine in less than a month. Thought I had it pretty much squirrel proof, hanging on a steel cable from a tree limb about ten feet from anything they could jump from. They got it anyway.

As far as getting rid of them try a .22. They're pretty good eatin', too. You can use your imagination on other ways to eliminate them but just don't tell anyone, else you'll have the tree huggers all over you.

Patching that plastic container might be a challenge. It's probably polyethelene and polyester (fiberglass) resin won't stick to it very well. Bondo is basically the same stuff so I don't think that's going to work very well either. If you could find some of the same kind of material the container is made from you could probably "weld" a piece of the scrap material over the hole. Do it from the inside so the pressure of what ever you're storing helps hold the patch in place.

Good luck.

lavacarancher":3glytv2q said:
Patching that plastic container might be a challenge. It's probably polyethelene and polyester (fiberglass) resin won't stick to it very well. Bondo is basically the same stuff so I don't think that's going to work very well either.
It will last as long as your tank does ~ been there, done that.

Angie,

We've not seen them drink from the tanks - there is a pond about 50 yards away. We were told that squirrels, like rabbits and rats, need to gnaw in order to wear down their front teeth. Otherwise, they grow too quickly and make it difficult for them to eat.

I used to think that squirrels were kind of cute, too. Darn things!

Carrie

Jimminy - this is getting ridiculous. We just discovered the darn things have been working on the plastic tile outlets in our waterways! Do you think this could be related to some type of dietary dificiency? Anyone ever see squirrels using salt/mineral licks? Maybe we ought to put out some salt blocks near the gnaw sights. Very puzzling!

Carrie

Its is just squirrels and that is what they do. My river bottom pastures are covered in old growth pecan trees. We are eat up with squirrels. If you check the hunting regulations for my county on squirrels you will read, "No closed season, no bag limit."

They have eaten up the louvers on my RV. They have chewed through the screens on the barn. They have chewed wire and hoses on the tractors and backhoe.

Amonia seems to work. Spray your items with amonia and get a shot gun after them. If anyone asks to hunt squirrel on your property, thank them graciously for asking.

angie":xopws56t said:
lavacarancher":xopws56t said:
Patching that plastic container might be a challenge. It's probably polyethelene and polyester (fiberglass) resin won't stick to it very well. Bondo is basically the same stuff so I don't think that's going to work very well either.

So have I. Wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

I guess they're kind of cute until they make giant treacherous holes every where, and get in the woodpile, under the house, or up underneath our vehicles. They attract rattle snakes and are covered with fleas and filled with worms. They chirp incessantly and drive the dogs crazy. Between the .22 and our bada$$ crippled one toothed hunting cat who kills at least 3 a week, we manage to keep them at bay...most of the time.

lavacarancher":2ewq7h96 said:
angie":2ewq7h96 said:
lavacarancher":2ewq7h96 said:

So have I. Wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.
I apologize then. Your use of the words "might be", "probably" and "I don't think...." lead me to believe you had doubts.

Latest posts