2 Questions/Dunmovin

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

The reason I asked about the DE was I bought some at an AG Expo show last Sept. for Fire Ants. It really works on them. You can watch them dry up in short order. We cleared about 20 mounds completely in about 2 weeks. The man that sold it said you could feed it to livestock and it work on live and eggs as it passed thru. For topical use, he said mix it with water and spray(saturate) and it stuck to the hair when it dried and would kill the flies as the crawled into it. It will kill flies as I tried it at home just for kicks. It will kill any bug that crawls into also, good or bad. worke on spiders to. I guess it was just to good to be true if studies have proven it tonot be effective. Curt

[email protected]

The studies I saw dealt with internal parasites. The theory behind it was alwasy been they would eat it and they would die from their insides being damaged. But, we all know about studies too. Depends on what axe needs grinding at the time.

dun

> The reason I asked about the DE
> was I bought some at an AG Expo
> show last Sept. for Fire Ants. It
> really works on them. You can
> watch them dry up in short order.
> We cleared about 20 mounds
> completely in about 2 weeks. The
> man that sold it said you could
> feed it to livestock and it work
> on live and eggs as it passed
> thru. For topical use, he said mix
> it with water and spray(saturate)
> and it stuck to the hair when it
> dried and would kill the flies as
> the crawled into it. It will kill
> flies as I tried it at home just
> for kicks. It will kill any bug
> that crawls into also, good or
> bad. worke on spiders to. I guess
> it was just to good to be true if
> studies have proven it tonot be
> effective. Curt

DE works on bugs by cutting their exoskeletons. They basically bleed to death in their buggy sort of way.

If the stuff sticks on the hide, the fly story makes sense. That's a big "if" though. It would do nothing (as previously stated) to internal things.

I've heard of DE being fed to horses as a wormer. Some people swear by it, but I never saw a study. You could do your own. Feed it your cattle, then do the fecal test and see what happened.

I looked into using DE as an internal parasite control tool after being contacted by a California company who was selling feed grade DE. I asked for research data to support their product being used for this purpose. All I received was the benefits from a growth standpoint and increase weaning wts. Their DE sales pitch was increased weaning wts. were because of internal parasite control but they supplied no supporting data. DE is cheap and I planned to mix it with free choice mineral. I can find no research data that indicates a reduction in internal parasites. The theory behind DE is that because of its composition (crustean exoskeletons) that insect LARVAE whether they be internal or in the case of fly larvae hatched in manure that contact with the sharp DE will injure the larvae an prevent adults. My vet doesn't support the use for this purpose. Spend your money for something beneficial until facts are presented to us.

> The studies I saw dealt with
> internal parasites. The theory
> behind it was alwasy been they
> would eat it and they would die
> from their insides being damaged.
> But, we all know about studies
> too. Depends on what axe needs
> grinding at the time.

> dun

[email protected]

Latest posts