2 photos of the same bull 18 months apart, what do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
Here is a bull we raised and sold half interest and half possession through our bull sale in 2008 and he was the high seller. We have his first calves on the ground and I am pretty excited about them. He has already been out with a bunch of cows for our spring calving group, we pulled him and gave him a few weeks for a break and now he will be turned into a group of 42 cows this afternoon for our May/June calvers.

The first photo was the one I used for our sale catalog. he was around 16 months old then. The second one was taken yesterday.

If you are interested, click on the link to see his pedigree and EPDs
http://search.redangus.org/animal/retat ... al/1157502

I was in a hurry yesterday and snapped the second photo. (It was 96 degrees out) I know this photo isn't that great because of the the shadows and darkness, but it gives you a bit of an idea of what he has grown into.

I like him a lot; I have 10 hefiers from Jerry Wheeler that have several of the same ancestors but in reverse. (sire is out of buf ck barny son and dams are rob over james 904) The hefiers look great and are about to be 2. They are a little on the big side but really thick.

Are you wanting to sell semen or wanting opinions on the bull or what? Just curious as you really didn't say.

TexasBred":2tax1li5 said:
Are you wanting to sell semen or wanting opinions on the bull or what? Just curious as you really didn't say.

Ya I would love to sell something, but that isn't why I put him on. :) Don't really want anything just wanted to show you guys what he turned into. Hopefully I will be able to get a better photo this summer some time.

he was a good looking yearling.that grew into 1 heck of a nice looking herd bull.i bet he throws a bunch of nice looking calves.

Looks like a pounds of beef producer. They don't all have to be heifer bulls.

I like him a lot.

3waycross":2n4jik58 said:

I like him a lot.

In reality, I really think he could be a heifer bull, if I remember right, we only had a few over 80 with most of them in the 70's. I predict his birth EPD to go down and if his calves keep this up, his growth will go up as well. But his daughters are what I am excited about. I really think they will shine as his dam is one of the best we have ever had, and his sire goes back to some of the all time great cow makers.

BRG":30vsi4dw said:
3waycross":30vsi4dw said:

I like him a lot.

In reality, I really think he could be a heifer bull, if I remember right, we only had a few over 80 with most of them in the 70's. I predict his birth EPD to go down and if his calves keep this up, his growth will go up as well. But his daughters are what I am excited about. I really think they will shine as his dam is one of the best we have ever had, and his sire goes back to some of the all time great cow makers.

You may be right, but his EPD's don't indicate that. If he turns out to throw 80 or less calves that would sure be a bonus. I sure like his pedigree. Do you PAP your cattle up there. What is your elevation.

3waycross":nt6obl7h said:
BRG":nt6obl7h said:
3waycross":nt6obl7h said:

I like him a lot.

You may be right, but his EPD's don't indicate that. If he turns out to throw 80 or less calves that would sure be a bonus. I sure like his pedigree. Do you PAP your cattle up there. What is your elevation.

No we don't PAP. Our elevation is somewhere between 2 and 3000 feet. Not exactly sure. We do however sell quite a few bulls to a couple ranchers into UT (Gunnison area) that run in the mountains. They have never had one have a problem. I am sure they will someday, but so far we have been lucky.

Thanks for the link 3waycross. Good reading. Guess I don't need to worry about it at 1200ft. Nowhere here over 3,300 ft and that is the top of the mountains. Hardly any grazing over 2,000ft.

BRG, it looks like your bull is growing out nicely. Its good to see that some breeders aren't afraid of letting their bulls go to work.

Brian

3waycross":34ebji5c said:
Never heard of Gunnison UT. I live 60 miles from Gunnison Colo.

Just between I-70 and I-15. About right in the middle of the state.

Thanks for all the compliments. Time will tell how he actually does, but as of now I am quite optimistic.