2 new additions

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
Well, the buyer that I use just brought me 2 additional calves, and I have a couple of questions.

1. The two existing steers that I have now, (about 500 lbs each) do not get along with the two new ones (300lbs each). Every time the new ones get close to them, to try and eat or drink out of the water trough, the older ones run them away. Is this normal? Will they eventually get along?

2. Well I found out that my two new ones have not been castrated yet. Is it too late to band? (300 lbs). Also, is 300 lbs too big to wrestle to the ground to work, or should I try to use a head gate?

Thanks for your help

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, #1 is perfectly normal - they are establishing the 'herd' rank and should have it sorted out in a day or two.

300# is not too big to band, but I would give a tetanus shot at the same time. They are pretty big to be wrestling, so I would also use the chute and headcatch.

Just my thoughts.

I have cheeriod calves that are around 3oo-350 before. I would recomend using those new fancy banders that are adjustable. I also would give a tetanus shot prior also. I got away with the cheerio but wouldn't do that again myself.

How much longer are you holding on to the five weights, they're pretty stout here and we found out that we were money ahead selling at 5-550 this time of year. Just curious?

I plan on holding on to them until they are ready for my freezer.:)

Of the two new ones, I will keep one for beef, and sell the other when it reaches 500lbs or so.

Had a calf banded when he was about 600 lbs. and had no problems so you should be alright.

We have banded 5-600# rz before with now problems other than getting there stuff into the bander. Think we need to invest in a bigger bander if we ever have to do that again. ;-)

Also agree with the tetanus. Better safe than sorry.

Double R

I can only respond to #1...yes, they do pick on the new ones (which bothers only me cause I want everyone to get along)...yesterday we moved a 9-mo. steer to a different pasture so he'd be with his age peers (five heifers and another steer, all about 9-13 months) and once the stampede ended, he just stood off to the side mooing...wish I'd had the camera with me for the stampede...but nobody ran through the fence and everybody is eating together...sigh of relief.

Then I also moved two cows, a calf, and an older steer into a group of four cows and the fireworks started; usually there's about ten seconds of head-butting and then they all go back to their routine but this time the two dominant cows from each group really went at each other for a while (ours have horns, so I'm always concerned, but nobody suffered any damage, whew!) I think the larger cow won because they seem to have reached a reluctant truce this morning.

Beef11":2td96zpc said:
I have cheeriod calves that are around 3oo-350 before. I would recomend using those new fancy banders that are adjustable. I also would give a tetanus shot prior also. I got away with the cheerio but wouldn't do that again myself.

it takes a week or two for the tetanus shot to 'work', right?