2 month old with scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
I moved this from the "Hi I'm New Here" Board thinking she would get more help here....

calf 2 month old diarrhea
by thornylea on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:17 am

brought angus calf got out on another farm , chased it down. noticed it was sick with diarrhea. appears to have something wrong with bowels. thought by chasing may of caused stress. have treated with antibioatics. calf is not dehydrated.

What are you feeding her ? Does the feed have lasilosid or rumensin in it ?

Larry

What antibiotics and did you administer claf span boluses?

I would use sulfa boluses and a "GOOD" med like trivetrin or nuflor to prevent other complications also probiotics. If the calf is scouring badly definitely electrolytes even though you may think it is not dehydrated it happens very fast and they go down to the point where it is almost impossible to re hydrated. Did you pull a temp? Is It still drinking milk?

My thinking is centered more on something like coccidiosis or salmonella . I think I would try a round of corid on her . Take her temp . Let us know .

Larry

calf 2 month old diarrhea
by thornylea on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:17 am

brought angus calf got out on another farm , chased it down. noticed it was sick with diarrhea. appears to have something wrong with bowels. thought by chasing may of caused stress. have treated with antibioatics. calf is not dehydrated.

Considering the circumstances, I would put this calf on straight grass hay and see what happened. The act of moving a calf to a strange place has been known to stress a calf enough to cause scours, as has having to chase a calf down to catch them. Both of them together just compounds the stress. Catching it to inject with antibiotics is just going to worsen the stress it is already under, not to mention what the antibiotics are going to do to the gut flora of an already stressed calf. So long as the calf is not dehydrated, showing signs of fever or respiratory problems, his eyes are clear and bright, he is alert, and is checking things out, etc., I would hold off on the antibiotics, feed straight grass hay, and give it a chance to settle in and regain its equilibrium.

Latest posts