2 Month Old Hereford Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
New pictures of the bull calf I posted a picture of a while back. Exactly 2 months old the day these pictures were taken.

All opinions and critiques appreciated.

Sledge3.jpg

Sledge4.jpg

Sledge6.jpg

Sledge8.jpg

Sledge9.jpg

George

he is gonna make a fine herd bull.esp if he keeps growing good.he is a nice thick calf.

There is certainly alot of potential, hope he grows into his legs and shoulders a bit more.

KNERSIE":2wk2v4tq said:
There is certainly alot of potential, hope he grows into his legs and shoulders a bit more.

I remember someone here stating that they could tell how good a calf was going to be by the age of two months. I can't! Compared to calves I've had in the past, this calf is thicker, and has more body in proportion to his legs at this age. These calves I've gotten from the Star Lake bull are all generally built this same way. The shoulders of his sire was a concern to me when I got him. I was afraid it might be a problem in calving. Thus far, it hasn't been one though. The calves from my Keynote son generally waited until they hit this age before kicking it into high gear. It's going to be interesting to see what these calves do.

George

As good of a bull calf as I have seen in a long time.

Please keep us posted as to his developement.

northtexas":oaytt05f said:
>>

I have NEVER had calving problems using masculine bulls with big shoulders. I tend to file that under the "wives tale" category.

there's not just the bull to consider- the cows need to be big and roomy themselves.

in regards to the calf, I think he'd make a decent steer. Too much leg on him for my liking. Staright legged and weak spine, from what I see in these photos.

The calf is showing a real nice loin - good growthy calf. I would be very concern with his post legged structure. It showed up in all the shots that you could see his rear legs.
When you hear complaints about too much shoulder - they are not (or shouldn't be) referring to the heavy muscling on the shoulders of a mature bull - they are referring to the broard skeletal structure of the shoulders.

I remember someone here stating that they could tell how good a calf was going to be by the age of two months.

I'll bite...

I said at two months the calf will give you a good indication of what it will look like at two years.

It would be interesting to see this calf again at two years old, I'll be more clear in what I see at this time...

I see a calf that is slightly straight and open shouldered, he carries his head low in almost every photo which is usually a good indication of not enough angle in the shoulders. Shoulder and hock angle goes hand in hand so although its not as clear to me as it is to others that this calf is a little straight hocked, he is more likely to be straighter hocked because it shows clearly in the shoulders. He certainly is a little leggy and a later maturing type and I expect him to be very growthy up till yearling age or slightly beyond.

To which extent the early signs of structural flaws will express themself over time is anyone's guess. he certainly is well muscled and masculine at an early age whic is never a bad sign

I think you did a real good job with the pics, all the angles and stuff. He is no doubt a good calf. Keep us updated so we know what he looks like as he grows up.
For me anyway, I need to see him at weaning weight and as a yearling. And for sure, lets see the same type photos of his mother.

He looks like a big topped, deep ribbed calf with a lot of thickness and muscle to me. He looks like he's got good bone and should develop into quite a bull someday. I have a bad time judging if a calf has any structural flaws from a picture. Calves seem to always want to stand like a dork with their front legs out in front of them while you try to take their picture. I would say he may be a little heavy shouldered and could be tighter in the sheath for my liking. Otherwise at this stage I think he looks great.

Oh, and it's a shame about the horns. ;-) :lol:

Latest posts