2 fat 2 breed ?

Help Support CattleToday:

EAT BEEF

Reaction score
I have had a couple fat cows not breed the last couple of years,both cows breed on the first service for at least 3 years,so I'm not thinking it's a fertility problem?Anyway the first cow got breed by a neighbors bull and I got mad and aborted her,I wasn't thinking and pulled the bull before she came back in heat.I should have sold her,but I didn't and she got hog fat,so the next year she got serviced three times and didn't take,so I put her in a trap with a bull to see what happened,she got serviced three more times and seems she got breed in late oct as she is getting a nice bag on her now.This year I have cow that her calf fell in pond,she is getting very fat,she got serviced three times buy the bull and is standing today(like a clock every 20 days).Cows are up to date on vacs. So do you guys have problems if cows are to fat breeding in the south during summer mounths?

Personally, I have not had any cows too fat to breed, however my uncle had trouble with this as well as calving difficulties from the cows being too fat.

The heat of the summer, at times of extreme/excessive heat can sometimes affect whether the cow settles or not. Fertility rates can drop a bit due to high temps.

Katherine

here a calf is the cow's meal ticket, no ticket = trip to the golden arches. Cows that screw up once will od it again, IF you give them the chance!

robert":1u4cjog3 said:
here a calf is the cow's meal ticket, no ticket = trip to the golden arches. Cows that screw up once will od it again, IF you give them the chance!

Thats where they are going,after the late calver calves she will be headed to the sale barn,and this years fat waste will be going with the rest of the culls.

Thats not what I'm interested in though,what I want to know is why to theses cows that didn't miss and still cycle every 19-21 days do not breed once they get fat? it might just be the way it worked out or is it the heat plus the extra fat making then hotter and not sticking?

Another thing I've noticed if a cow goes without raising a calf for the year her next calf usually weighs in light. I don't think they milk well from then on out if given a year's vacation. If a cow loses a calf here most of the time she hits the road, but I'll give a reprieve if they have something special going for them.

Thats not what I'm interested in though,what I want to know is why to theses cows that didn't miss and still cycle every 19-21 days do not breed once they get fat?

If they cycle regularly they aren't too fat to settle. A cow has to be VERY fat for it to affect fertility, under normal pasture conditions that is unlikely to happen in a single season of being open.

Yes, a cow can be too fat to breed especially if she develops fat internally around the fallopian tubes.
The egg never reaches the uterus.

Most of your potential for probelms in the "fat cow" come after she is bred..... Calving problems, milk fever, etc. Just as most fat ladies have no problem conceiving neither do most over conditioned cattle except when you consider dairy cattle and factor in all the outside stress factors affecting them. A much higher percentage of over conditioned cattle have heat cycles than the underconditioned. If she's a good cow I'd take the blame for this one and give her another chance.

cfpinz":20plq813 said:
Another thing I've noticed if a cow goes without raising a calf for the year her next calf usually weighs in light. I don't think they milk well from then on out if given a year's vacation. If a cow loses a calf here most of the time she hits the road, but I'll give a reprieve if they have something special going for them.

cfpinz, I suspect you are right. Based on my experience with a good milking young cow last yr. She had a calf after getting very late bred(my fault) and very fat; she raised a very poor calf. I'm watching her like a hawk this yr. Her calf so far is looking real good. I'm hoping she has picked up where she left off before I messed up on her breeding.

Yes, they can be too fat to breed
Try this----- She may be Cystic-- For AI Breeding -- give her 2 cc of Cystorellin when you put the CIDR in
Then follow normal protocol from there on out ---
If she doesnt breed --dump her.

Latest posts