2 days of free food

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Today is Harrel Hereford bull sale in Baker Oregon. Free lunch. Then this evening they host the 15th annual cowboy gathering. Free buffet. Then tomorrow is Thomas Angus sale also in Baker. Free breakfast in the morning bull inspection. Then free lunch before, during and after the sale. All good food and the price is right. Who say there is no such thing as a free lunch?

Today is Harrel Hereford bull sale in Baker Oregon. Free lunch. Then this evening they host the 15th annual cowboy gathering. Free buffet. Then tomorrow is Thomas Angus sale also in Baker. Free breakfast in the morning bull inspection. Then free lunch before, during and after the sale. All good food and the price is right. Who say there is no such thing as a free lunch?
Well, that lunch sure ain't free for someone buying a bull!

Well, that lunch sure ain't free for someone buying a bull!
Who said anything about buying a bull? Get a catalog, page through, and try to look interested. Talk genetics, cattle, weather, the market and all that relative stuff with other cowboys and cattlemen. Neighbor told me to go and tell people that I was looking for a bull for him. Said I could even bid once or twice. Just don't buy anything. But be sure to eat the free lunch.

Yep, tons of advertising and promotion $ are spent every year that don't reach the target audience. But who is to say the non bull buyer doesn't end up buying calves down the road, from a bull buyer of the program because they were impressed with what they saw and experienced on sale day and in turn influences repeat bull buyers and builds reputation of the sale hosts.

Yep, we have gone to several for the meal and the social interaction with others. Just like @Dave said, talk bulls, breeding, cattle markets, weather.... and yep, we have come home with an unexpected bull a few times. But for the most part, if we go to a bull sale closeby, it is just to catch up with other farmers we don't see often....If we go to one very far away, it is with the idea that we are needing a bull.... and want to check out other genetics. However, we have found one breeders bulls that work well with our cattle and we have gotten several over the years from them.

Who said anything about buying a bull? Get a catalog, page through, and try to look interested. Talk genetics, cattle, weather, the market and all that relative stuff with other cowboys and cattlemen. Neighbor told me to go and tell people that I was looking for a bull for him. Said I could even bid once or twice. Just don't buy anything. But be sure to eat the free lunch.
First Facebook now crashing bull sales. Your on a real downhill slide dave........

First Facebook now crashing bull sales. Your on a real downhill slide dave........
What can I say....... I am pretty much a bottom feeding low life.

A few years back a friend and I mapped out a road trip. Started in Western Washington went clear to Miles City Montana and back. !0 days, a bull sale everyday, we would eat for free the whole trip. The down side was the money spent on fuel and motel bills. But it would have been a fun trip.

The things you gotta do to sell a bull. I don't think the vendors really mind about the freeloaders, they are creating interest and if the product is good you might be back in subsequent years to buy one or talk to friends who might come next year to buy one.

Ken

If only the serious buyers were allowed to be there, wouldn't it be like driving by a restaurant with no cars in the parking lot? The crowd makes others want to be there.
I am sure they had a lot of serious buyers today. About 150 bulls and last year they averaged $5300. And they don't play the silly games. Do that with these ranchers and they wont be back.

I didn't go. Even with me not there to run up the bidding they did good. Here is their sale results.
104 Yearling Hereford Bulls: $6,074 avg
32 Coming 2 year old bulls: $4,431 avg
33 Reg. Open Heifers: $2,689 avg
3 Reg. Bred Cow: $3,083 avg
30 Commercial Open Heifers: $1,475 avg
They also sold some started 2 year old quarter horses that normally sell awfully good. I didn't see a report on what they brought.

Latest posts