2 cows won't stand up

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I bought some cattle and the guy couldn't get 5 of the cows caught before my pickup date. He was able to catch 3 of them but had to use horses and a couple dogs, hauled them to me Sunday and I went to check this evening and 2 of the 3 are laying in a tree line and couldn't seem to get up. Both had a normal respiratory rate, no labored breathing. No snotty nose, they would try standing but just couldn't get all the way up. They each drank about 15 gallons of water out of buckets by hand. Is this just heat stress? What should I do?

With no other info, sounds first off that they are stressed from them having to use dogs and horses to catch them. If the weather there has been hot, I would say dehydration is a very good possibility. Did you get any kind of guarantee since they had to "rodeo" to get the cows caught and then had to deliver them? Maybe they got hurt in the "catching up" process? Making sure they get plenty of water is ESSENTIAL. Dehydration will cause the muscles to "fail" and not be able to co-ordinate their ability to get up or to walk without falling down. There could be any number of other things, but stress from the catching/moving and the heat would be a good way to start....

What about body temp? If all other signs are "normal" and no temp, then I would suspect heat/catching stress and dehydration first....If they aren't up tomorrow, a call to the vet and the previous owner are my next suggestions. Keep us posted and good luck.

They were still laying down early this morning, the big brangus stood up after she drank a bucket of water but she was very wabbly and lasted down again after she tried to walk off. I'm waiting for the vet to open now.

Maybe somebody else can learn from my mistakes here. I will definitely try the electrolytes, my vet had me take some videos of the cattle and he was confident they had been overworked and dehydrated, advised me to give another round of steroids and keep feeding and watering them. This was a whole herd for sale and when I first looked at the them there was no indication any of them would be difficult, except for a big 1500 pound brangus, and I was going to carry her to the sale this week. The original owner did not feed them in the catch pen daily as I assumed he would before the pickup date. He said the brangus got a few more stirred up when he went to catch them and that is why there were a few he had to catch 2 days after the original herd. All the others are gentle, the brangus was the only bad one. I have talked to him, and he's clearly not a man of integrity, he has no intentions of returning any money if they die. I'll chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned, and I will continue to treat others with respect, be kind, and honest. It's unfortunate not everyone lives by that code. Thank you for y'alls help.

Well, unless there was an agreed upon guarantee of some kind, you probably are out of luck, especially in a herd dispersal.
When I agree to buy any, I like to pick them up myself, so I can look at them one more time before I hand the money over and load them on to my trailer. But, once the exchange is made, they're loaded and the gate closed on my trailer, if they die in the trailer even before I get back to the blacktop, all I will ever say is "MY cow died".

If the seller delivers tho, I guess there could be room for some discussion, especially if I weren't there when they were unloaded...

I feel for you Buddy.

Dishonest people have a special place. All ya can do is let other people know in hopes of preventing him the opportunity to do it again. Hopefully he was getting out for good and will never be in the position again.

I hope some will learn from your experience. I know it has made me think.

Latest posts