2" copper water line leaking at tee

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
One of the 2" water lines in the boiler room started leaking a bit last week at the joint. Not a lot, less than a gallon per day. I know the best option is to shut it down, cut it out and replace, but that is not an option now that we are in our busy season.

Anybody ever have any experience with the Insta-Clamp™ Solder Joint Leak Repair Clamp for Copper Tubing things you put around the leak and bolt down? They are $40.00 a piece and would be a cheap fix if they work. Any experience?

They also have Perma-Wrap tape available. Some folks say it works very well, some not so much. I think a lot of it has to do with the application, the applicator and how accessible the leaking joint is. I have never used it, just read some things about it.
Might want to check it out and some of the YouTube videos about it.

M-5":14f7pncl said:
they should have sharkbite unions for copper , they have them for other kinds

That would involve shutting the water off. Can't do that now. Looking for some way to fix it with out having to shut the whole hotel down.

millstreaminn":22860tgp said:
M-5":22860tgp said:

That would involve shutting the water off. Can't do that now. Looking for some way to fix it with out having to shut the whole hotel down.

do it at 2 am.

Look at eternabond. I have used it with success on some leaks and general repair , we sell a lot of it in the roofing industry

M-5":13qad63t said:
millstreaminn":13qad63t said:
M-5":13qad63t said:

do it at 2 am.

Look at eternabond. I have used it with success on some leaks and general repair , we sell a lot of it in the roofing industry

Thanks. I'll look into the eternabond.

I've used a piece of radiator hose split lengthwise and well clamped around the leaking area to seal it off.. works as a temporary fix for sure and you don't have to shut down to do it

An empty 5 gallon hyd oil bucket under the leak will work a week at a time.............buy yourself a raggedy ol leaking Case 480 or 580 and you'll soon have enough buckets to put the repair off until you are 90.
I know this because keep a couple of those buckets under the cylinders of my backhoe........

Had a pinhole develope in the old house. I wrapped it with electrical tape a few times and put a screw clamp over it. Worked till I tore the house down to rebuild. Course mine wasn't a 2 inch line

If you want to make a mess out of it so you have a big job later, use some of those suggestions.
I would put a piece of rubber around it with a hose clamp until I can fix it right later.
JMO gs

plumber_greg":2q0qggzk said:
If you want to make a mess out of it so you have a big job later, use some of those suggestions.
I would put a piece of rubber around it with a hose clamp until I can fix it right later.
JMO gs

I 'll change mine to listen to Greg

plumber_greg":3nmnh7ib said:
JMO gs
Inner tube and bailing wire? :D Dad fixed many a leak that way. I have too :clap:

millstreaminn":2sq03pct said:
One of the 2" water lines in the boiler room started leaking a bit last week at the joint. Not a lot, less than a gallon per day. I know the best option is to shut it down, cut it out and replace, but that is not an option now that we are in our busy season.

Anybody ever have any experience with the Insta-Clamp™ Solder Joint Leak Repair Clamp for Copper Tubing things you put around the leak and bolt down? They are $40.00 a piece and would be a cheap fix if they work. Any experience?

Looks like you have looked at a pretty good fix. I think that I would go with it. Good chance invented by a plumber.

Latest posts