-2 CED

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Would you be scared to put a -2 ced angus bull on 1150 brangus cows?
Used charloais bulls on these same cows last year.

the CED rating is based on first-calf heifers, mature cows should not be as risky. and if they have calved charolais calves before, i wouldnt think twice about it.

We have used a -4 CED 5.4 BW Angus bull on 112 calves in the past 3 years and we have had 1 problem and that was a set of 71 # bull calf twins last year. I think he will be ok. (If the number is right :lol: ). Mature cows should be able to handle almost any Angus bull.

I'd agree with everyone else. If they handled a Charolais calf, I'd think they could handle about any Angus sired calf.

I agree if they can handle a Charolias they will not even know they calved with an Angus. Could be a problem though could just walk off not knowing they had a calf. JK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think these are very breed biased answers.
First I will repeat what I have said many times:
There are more differences within a breed as there are across the breeds.
Better put by MARC - Significant variation exists among breeds. The range for differences between breeds is comparable in magniture to the range for breeding value of individuals within breeds.
Based on the 2005 across-breed EPD table, a Charolais has a +10 BW EPD, and an Angus has 0. The chart does not show CE (probably because not all breeds have CE EPD's)
So, based on averages for breeds, yes an Angus should calve easier than an Angus. But, you really need to look at the individual bull. Who knows - this Charolais bull might have been a super easy calving bull.
I'm not arguing with the results of the answer, just that we cannot ASSUME that just because it's Charolais, it HAS to be harder calving than an Angus.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3bcni2ri said:
I'm not arguing with the results of the answer, just that we cannot ASSUME that just because it's Charolais, it HAS to be harder calving than an Angus.

I am not willing to say that every Angus bull will sire calves with less calving problems than every Charolais bull; but, given the 10 pound Birth Wt EPD spread, it probably is true of over 90% of the bulls from both breeds.

Latest posts