2 calves just got from sale barn may have scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

dixie45

Reaction score
2 days ago neighbor went to calf sale,bought 14 and let me pick out 2.The little jersey isn't taking his bottle real well and has yellow diarrhea,I uses to milk cow for a short time,and raised one from a calf with no problem.they appear to be about 2 weeks old at the most.That's all the experience i have on raising calves,they are on 2 acres of ,with plenty of grass and fresh water.Do they need to be given feed yet or hay?besides just the milk replacer,and what to do to cure the scour?I know from working at the barn this will kill them quick?thanks for any info,i'm 45 and just lived in the country for 5 years.so please,bear with me.thanks.....dixie :help:

With your lack of experience, rather call the vet, he's better qualified to give advice.

I have some exp,and no money for vet untill friday,but can get something to help him from feed store if not to expensive,just don't know what to get.thanks for your help :?

dixie45":n1oa3xyp said:
I have some exp,and no money for vet untill friday,but can get something to help him from feed store if not to expensive,just don't know what to get.thanks for your help :?

Ask at the feedstore. They'll know what they have in stock that should work

I give Deliver and works very well. Use according to label it turns into a gel in their guts and stays in their system longer.

Try "Scourguard" or "Optimil Complete"... it is a scour guard and milk replacer combined so there wouldn't be a need to wait a few hours between scour medication and milk replacer... after feeding that for a few days, try a product called "Kick Start" for 2 feedings and they'll be fine.

...how bad are the scours? is it minor from a change in feed or stress? or is it completely liquid and you need to worry about replacing electrolytes like NOW!?

Dixie, the best cheapest help for scouring calves is to replkace the fluids that are lost . Whatever the feed store has for rehydration will probably work .Feed milk 12 hours apart and give fluids between meals . Remember the recomendations on a bag of milk are for a 100lb Holstien calf, so adjust accordingly, don't over feed your little jersey calf . For oral antibiotic I like scour-halt and vetisulid, these can be bought OTC until you can see your way clear to go to the vet . I would offer them some warm water in a bottle tonight yet .

Larry