2 Bred Registered Angus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Found two local bred registered Angus cows (3 yeas old) for sale locally and the guy wants $2000 for both. His ad says must sell immediately. The catch is they are bred to an unregistered pure Angus bull but cows and bull look real good. Is that a fair price or should offer lower as he really needs to sell?

Yes or No. How far bred? Is there a guarantee of any kind? You can buy outstanding looking commercial cows bred 4-6 months for $650 or less here right now. I would say that $1000 is a fair price if the papers and/or any guarantee that the man might give you are worth $350 to you. If they are simply going to be commercial cows, I would say $1000 is too high for you.

I would say we need more info. Do you run a reg. operation? Do the papers mean anything to you? If they are going to be used in a registered herd and they are of good enough quality 1k may be a steal, however, as was stated, if you are just going to you them as commerical cows that might be a little high priced considering the times, but they'll still make good cows. Also, if this guy vaccinates his cattle finding disease free animals is better than going to the sale barn and getting God knows what diseases introduced into your herd.

Another thing to consider. Just because they are registered does not mean they are good. Why does he only have two to sell? Are they good mothers, will the calves be too big at birth, will they be good milkers? Buying registered cows is good but you must know what you are buying. Look at the papers or if you do not know about EPD's have someone look at them who does. There are culls in registered as well as commercial. If everything looks good and you would like to have registered cows they might be a bargin.
One thing to remember, never buy without trying to get a better price. Two minutes talk might save $100 per head. Two X 100= a ton of feed just for a little talking. In the end if he won't come down you can always pay the price ask.

Here is the last e-mail from the seller, I meant they were 5 yrs. old not 3. I have a very good friend that runs a registered Angus operation of around 200 head and before I bother him I thought I'd get advice here as it is always good and frank. If they are worth it, healthy etc. my friend has no problem with me keeping them with his herd as long as I pay my own way, which I do.

I have their papers. We only have 9 cows. These we bought in 2004 when they were about 5 months old. We are only selling them because we have a small farm (15 acres) and we have switched from Angus to Jersey cows. We just don't have the hay to feed them all winter (we just bought two more Jersey) and we had a bad drought this year so our pastures are really short. We don't want to take them to the sale since these are good cows but we need to sell them. They were bred to an unregistered bull. We sold him last month. He was full Angus. As far as how old they are one was born 9-22-03 the other 10-12-03. Let me know if you are interested.

Sounds like it could be a good deal. Two years ago, I bought 5 registered red angus 3x4's for $1200 a piece. Three were bred to registered RA bulls, two to black angus bull (not registered) So, I would consider it. Make sure you preg check them, and make sure they are vaccinated before taking them to your place, if you are going to be getting them.

3104477223_2095b221f7.jpg

a pic of the bull they were bred to, I don't like his back end at all. Maybe it's an optical illusion and his back feet were on higher ground? They sold him a month ago.

Here is the last e-mail the seller sent me:

We still have both of their last cows here. They are 6 months old- good healthy heifers. As far as a guarantee our bull was with both of them several times. We don't pregnancy test or anything like that we only have 9 cows total- we still do things the old fashioned way. I have a photo of the bull but he has been sold. They have been vaccinated with Alpha-7 and Triangle 9+Type ll BVD.

You know, if you are going too chain up a bovine it usually is better too halter them like a horse rather than collar them like a dog. Tractor Supply Company or any large feed store can sell you halters in a variety of sizes.

baxter78":2uhj6rjz said:
tncattle":2uhj6rjz said:
3104477223_2095b221f7.jpg

a pic of the bull they were bred to, I don't like his back end at all. Maybe it's an optical illusion and his back feet were on higher ground? They sold him a month ago.

ummmmmm chaining cattle up? Wait til peta comes on here and gets a load of that.

I don't like the looks of that and I don't like PETA. I think you should by them for the sake of the cows.

Brandonm22":1d0ojzpv said:
You know, if you are going too chain up a bovine it usually is better too halter them like a horse rather than collar them like a dog. Tractor Supply Company or any large feed store can sell you halters in a variety of sizes.

This isn't my bull, never was. He was bred to some cows I might buy. I say he could break that restraint any time he wants.

tncattle":36xt7ffa said:
Brandonm22":36xt7ffa said:

This isn't my bull, never was. He was bred to some cows I might buy. I say he could break that restraint any time he wants.

Understood. But the ropes could choke him in the right circumstances. With a halter, this is unlikely. This is all the more reason to buy the cattle from this guy. He don't need them if he's going to do foolish stuff like this. JMO

tncattle":16arsgnz said:
He was bred to some cows I might buy.

I would pass on them if they came from the same person for sure.

I have never seen that bull management technique. I would wonder about the cows as well.

Yikes! That is an awful way to keep a bull.. and I'm not a member of Peta either! I'm going to guess he's new to cattle!

Wewild":9wgjyfip said:
tncattle":9wgjyfip said:
He was bred to some cows I might buy.

I would pass on them if they came from the same person for sure.

I have never seen that bull management technique. I would wonder about the cows as well.

My thoughts exactly.

Whoever owns this bull and done it this way is a COMPLETE IDIOT and has no business owning cattle or anyother animal
It is IDIOTS like this that give us all a bad name and give the animal rights activist fuel to hurt us ALL!

Whoever did this needs the same treatment done to them

Latest posts