2 Boys Killed 500,000 Bees...............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/2-boys-arres ... 09668.html

Two boys are facing felony charges after vandalism at an Iowa honey farm killed 500,000 bees, according to police.

Police say the boys, ages 12 and 13, wrecked equipment and knocked over 50 hives at the Wild Hill Honey farm in Sioux City last month. All of the bees — at least half a million — died in the snow.

beehives.jpg

This was so senseless. Why would anyone be so destructive to another's property? I just don't even understand what could make someone do this.

I saw this on the news. Terrible. I did some foolish stuff as a child but I never tore up other people's stuff.

Jogeephus":250mx47e said:
I saw this on the news. Terrible. I did some foolish stuff as a child but I never tore up other people's stuff.

Too bad the bees weren't active and could have taught them a real lesson about messing with other peoples stuff

Can we confirm that the breaking open of the hives actually was the cause of death?
A neighbor could have been spraying Roundup nearby, and that's what actually killed them.
Who's ever heard of bees dying from things like the cold?
Yep, I'm putting my money on the roundup laced snow.
It does says they "died in the snow".
They must of been hungry for some ice cream, and the roundup did them in.

There was a teenage boy hereabouts thought it would be cool to set a county motor grader on fire. Cost his mom and dad $25,000.

Son of Butch":2v5ne3yd said:
Jogeephus":2v5ne3yd said:
I did some foolish stuff as a child but I never tore up other people's stuff.
Just the typical animal mutilations and run of the mill collecting of carcass parts as a child... Jogeephus Dahmer?

None of that, actually my childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it. ;-)

Jogeephus":rphy79by said:
There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it. ;-)
Really breath taking if you then sit in ice water!

sim.-ang.king":2527gric said:
Can we confirm that the breaking open of the hives actually was the cause of death?
A neighbor could have been spraying Roundup nearby, and that's what actually killed them.

European honey bees need the hive to survive. If those boxes are broken open the bees cannot stay warm enough to live in the cold temperatures.

https://brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.c ... he-winter/

"The bees need to keep the cluster's core between 93 and 96 Fahrenheit (around 35 Celsius). The very lowest the cluster's center can drop to is 55F (13C). Lower than this and you have a dead hive. Different sources offer different exact temperatures, but they are all in the same ballpark. The numbers here are drawn from internet searches, and from "The Biology of The Honey Bee", by Mark L. Winston (a fabulous book and fun to read)."

I thought I lost a hive, looked in it this morning and saw no bees. When it warmed up I went out in my suit and saw a bunch of bees at the entrance. So, thinking earlier I let them starve even though I took none of their honey last year and left them plenty, I grabbed a jar of honey I had stored and gave it to them. When I went out again, there were more bees flying around and when I opened it, there were bees working and I saw stored honey. Whew. I was going to be upset if I lost this hive. It was a swarm I caught late 2016 and it thrived. I did nothing to them last year other than add another brood box. They filled a lot of it with honey. Very relieved they are still thriving. My husband used almost all my stored honey to make a big batch of mead. I'm going to need all 3 hives I have if he keeps making mead. Checked other 2 hives and I didn't even need to open them, tons of bees flying around...

Bullitt":cuptnf8b said:
sim.-ang.king":cuptnf8b said:

European honey bees need the hive to survive. If those boxes are broken open the bees cannot stay warm enough to live in the cold temperatures.

"The bees need to keep the cluster's core between 93 and 96 Fahrenheit (around 35 Celsius). The very lowest the cluster's center can drop to is 55F (13C). Lower than this and you have a dead hive. Different sources offer different exact temperatures, but they are all in the same ballpark. The numbers here are drawn from internet searches, and from "The Biology of The Honey Bee", by Mark L. Winston (a fabulous book and fun to read)."

The joke flew right over your head like a bumble bee in a hurricane. :lol: ;-)

sim.-ang.king":1rjv24jl said:
Bullitt":1rjv24jl said:
sim.-ang.king":1rjv24jl said:

Okay. I think everyone missed the "joke". There was no indication in what you wrote that you were joking.

Bullitt":2dqe6d8b said:
sim.-ang.king":2dqe6d8b said:
Bullitt":2dqe6d8b said:

Okay. I think everyone missed the "joke". There was no indication in what you wrote that you were joking.
I didn't miss it I mean come on "roundup laced snow"

Nesikep":3pu3o962 said:
There, I paid attention and gave you a heart on that post instead
Now we just need to get dun to apologize so nobody's feeling are hurt! :lol:

Latest posts